1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

Which individual player this season do we expect to make the biggest impact?

Does the current Leeds SQUAD look stronger than last season?

If you could pick two positions to improve before the season kicks off for us on Sunday, where would they be?

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

Players I'm expecting to be dropped and NOT play a major part Sacko, Bridcutt and Hernandez

Player I expect to be a key part O'Kane

The new guys, I'm not sure on any of them, a case of wait and see.

It's not going to happen I know but a top drawer Keeper would have been nice, I felt Silvestre and Green both needed to be replaced.

A new CB to challenge for positions and cover Pontus suspensions is my main concern.

3. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Yup I'd go with that - a Captain would be a good idea too !!?! :steam:

PS except Sacko I think will play quite a bit

ristac likes this.
  4. Eric Le Merde

And there's more - I think the transfer window should end when the season starts. A worst case scenario for us would be Wood, Pontus or Vieira getting snapped up on the last day of the Window, which could seriously impact our season..........

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  5. lifecheshirewhite

Think Roofe and Alioski will have a good season,and from a couple of last ditch tackles I've seen, maybe Pennington.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Eric Le Merde likes this.
  6. Eric Le Merde

You know overall I think it will be a good year for Leeds

But it's a long season and 1 result doesn't mean summer or winter :emoticon-0148-yes:

7. RCDM

RCDM Well-Known Member

I've had a bump on the head, i actually agree with you.

I do think Roofe will come good this season.

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we are going to be better than last season. I believe we will see some excellent football from Alioski, Siaz & Klich in the middle, I also think young Pennington could be business.

I fully expect the new guys to put pressure on some regular players from last season, and think Roofe, O'Kane, Viera & Sacko will improve.

Things to resolve would be another CB & LB plus who is the captain & first choice keeper

bucks_is_leeds and Eric Le Merde like this.
  9. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Surprised you think green needed replacing... one of our best players last year for me. Interesting that people are picking roofe and o'kane for good seasons based on pre-season rather than last season's form. I hope you're right, roofe offers glimpses of talent but lack of pace and strength on the ball were a real issue last year in championship football, maybe a manager that believes in him and helps the team play to his strengths will bring the best out of him.

O'kane is a better player than we saw last season, I know Ian Harte played with him at bournemouth and rates him, I think he was shackled by the role he was given by monk for all but the last couple of games last season, again let's see if letting him play with more freedom brings the best out of him consistently. Presumably he's competing with Klich.

The new guys? Alioski looked the pick on youtube! Really, it's anyone's guess.

Brendan Sheerin and Jammy 07 like this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Milky my take on O'Kane is that he was part of a midfield with Viera & Hernandez who got us our best performances last season & won the most games with these 3 playing together. A good statistic I think. O'kane has been brilliant in pre season and maybe the man of the moment so far. Roofe is a lot better than we saw last season. I expected much more from him then and seeing his last couple of performances in pre season the lad is buzzing.

11. milkyboy

they've definitely looked the part pre-season doc, my only concern would be that by nature these games give a little more time on the ball and lack the intensity they will get in the champ... it sorts out the men from the boys! Let's hope they hit the season full of confidence.

12. lifecheshirewhite

O'Kane was playing great till he got injured,never came back the same player,but after a good rest.Roofe was starting to improve towards second half of last season,and can see him carrying on with the improvement.<ok>

ristac likes this.
  13. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Roofe will look good amongst all the sh1te you've bought <ok>

14. lifecheshirewhite

And will be good for 6 goals in the 2 games against you lot.As I remember you made him look like Messi.<cheers>

MIGHTY likes this.
  15. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I think the main difference this season is that when someone's form falters, there are others climbing over each other to take his place in the first team. Of course there are other differences too, like more sparkle on the wings, but competition for places should squeeze out that extra couple of percent from our guys. Hopefully. :D

Aski and lifecheshirewhite like this.
  16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon milkyboy, firstly O'Kane, we had an awful start last season, he came in and made the difference, I have no idea why he was dropped after his injury comeback or why he became a bit part player for Monk but my own personal opinion was that he didn't deserve to be left out, I always felt he was far better than Bridcutt. I'm guessing and hoping he plays an important part based on his early form last season and by all accounts reports that his preseason form has been good.

In regards to Green I totally agree last season he was fantastic for us but I can't see him repeating it, if I wanted to split hairs I would say he does have poor distribution. He does have a mistake in him and when he makes one he doesn't seem to be able to overcome it, my fear is that his age will be against him now and I would have liked someone at least on par with him but younger and many more years ahead.

I don't want us to get several games in all wondering if Green is suddenly too old for this and debating what has gone wrong, I'm probably worrying over nothing and as I said in another post, I'm really happy with how the close season has gone all things considered and I was just answering Ellands hypothetical question of what two areas would I like to see improved still ;) <ok>

17. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

i think the main difference is last season your defence was your mainstay your backbone <ok>
    this time its weaker much weaker no competition for places cos you don't have enough cover can see Morison getting a hat trick against you no worries :p
    add to that in goal either the Bundesleagers worst goalkeeper the last 2 seasons or Rob vintage Green <laugh>
    league 1 beckons for you guys <ok>

18. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Boy, you guys are in for such a shock! <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

lifecheshirewhite and MIGHTY like this.
  19. milkyboy

Fair enough on Green ristac:emoticon-0148-yes:

Re o'kane, i think Monk wanted two centre mids to sit and protect the back 4, and o'kane prefers to get forward more. In the norwich home game at the end of last season, it was the first time i'd seen a leeds midfielder actually make a forward run with the ball to commit defenders all season and he was probably our best player that day. Everyone knew how we were going to play and it was too easy to defend against and made life really tough for our wide players when the opposition knows the ball is going to them and they don't need to worry about the central ball carriers.

Re Bridcutt - he's a different player... out and out defensive midfielder. Good close control, reads the game well, and tenacious... but his passing is erratic. He also played last season when not fully fit... seemingly to his detriment as the fans don't rate him as highly as the manager's have. I rate Bridcutt at this level, but if i only had last season to go on, i'd share the view of most leeds fans about him.

ristac likes this.
  20. milkyboy

The defence was our backbone, but exaggerated imo by Monk's set-up and selections... to defend 1-11. We will be less tight at the back this year because we won;t focus on it so much. Hopefully, we will keep the ball better and not spend 80% of our time defending.... this avoiding league 1 and having to play you next year as well as this.

MIGHTY likes this.