1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jul 12, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

The Saiz sega will be concluded this morning when the 26 year old will pen a four year deal at Elland Road.

Meanwhile Caleb Ekuban has signed from Chievo for an undisclosed fee after completing his medical yesterday tea time.

He too has signed a four year deal. Surely that means he is looked at as being more than a bench warmer.

Who will be next???

Leeds face their last pre season game before heading out to Germany this weekend as they line up against North Ferriby Utd.

Scunthorpe United put six unanswered goals past North Ferriby on Saturday and Leeds have scored nine times during their wins over Harrogate and Guiseley

TC has admitted that he is none the closer to knowing who his best XI are!

Surely that will mean that the majority of the squad will fly out tomorrow.

2. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

From Yorkshire post today

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 4.57.37 pm.png
    From Twitter - basically his agent wishing him luck at Leeds

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 3.58.06 pm.png

bucks_is_leeds and ristac like this.
  3. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning all. Will be interesting to see how quickly these new signings gel into a single unit. On the face of it, we look to be developing a good squad. But I still want to see another CB to partner with Pontus.

Austria starts to look like an opportunity for a number of players to stake a claim for the first 16 slots. Let's hope the side comes together quickly & develops a style that will put us on the front foot for Bolton in a couple of weeks time

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Like the idea players getting three and four year contracts on good wages. Gives us a vastly wider selection of players to choose from and shows Rad has finances in place for the coming years. No signing of painters and electricians for a big club like us. No way hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

4 year deals means the club look at these players as investments, because if they perform to expectations their value rises plus we dont get held to ransom like we did with Taylor, Byrom & Cook, Howson and more.

Reckon tonight will see a squad of hopefuls wanting to be kept on, with all new players given a rest. We should find out about Bellusci, Dave, Anntonson, Dallas, Bridcutt, O'Kane, Duke. Where will Beradi and Ayling play

Exiting times

BoggersMOT likes this.
  6. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Doc correct the final calls are being made for those who will be getting a ticket to Austria and those who will potentially be exiting :emoticon-0149-no:

7. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

i like 3 year deals myself for new signings... a year to find out if they cut the mustard. The following summer, if they're good you offer extension to them at a time where you don't have a gun to your head. If they've flopped you're not lumbered with them for too long.

Ultimately, I guess the feeling is with a four year deal, you can always cut your losses with loan deal or flog them on. However, we Leeds fans are more sensitive than most to long term deals as we have memories of seth johnson on a 5 year deal. Robbie Fowler going to man city with us still paying a ludicrous amount for him to play for them etc etc.

Man I hate Ridsdale. The vain cnut ruined us living out his fairytale and we're still paying for it.

Rant over:emoticon-0100-smile

FORZA LEEDS and Eric Le Merde like this.
  8. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Spot on Doc. Can't see Antonsson lasting much longer unless he shows a lot tonight. Dallas, Bidcutt, OK, & Duke should be okay. Beradi & Ayling again should be okay. In short, it's now down to the newbees to show they can fit in AND perform in front of 30k screaming Yorkshiremen. No small task, as many we have signed in the last few years will testify. In TC we trust. MOT

9. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Seems we're in a 3 way tussle to sign Bartley, Crystal Palace, Middlesboro and us.

Middlesboro will be favourites as Bartley loves Monk.

10. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Morning all.

Feeling really aggrieved that Pontus will be missing the first 2 games of the season. We're going to have a new look team and it will be vital for confidence that we get off to a good start. Still can't understand or explain why he seemed to lose his head and went out of his way to get that 15th yellow. Only way I can excuse him is that he was just so disappointed at the failure from such a good position that he lost it a bit.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all, unless proven I prefer a three year deal, Ekuban is not prolific, it is a gamble but I guess it depends on what his weekly wage is. Saying this Radz is no fool when it comes to the business end so I'd imagine Ekubans wages, clauses, bonuses all reflect his 4 year deal.

I'd love us to get Bartley back, last season we were fortunate in that out of all the new players it was the defence that gelled the quickest and along with Wood and his goals we had a decent season.

Bartley back would give us a defence that can hit the ground running, it would give us a ready made captain and set things up nicely.

12. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

morning ... well that Ekuban signing happened pretty quickly, nice work ... Saiz deal is now down to sorting out image rights ... Atletico basically own Saiz's image rights, so in effect as it stands every time Leeds sell a shirt with Saiz on the back, for example, they have to pay a percentage to Atletico ... all a bit complicated and fcuking unnecessary, but clearly Atletico want some sort of pay off for the third party rights ... this is the kind of nonsense that should be banned from football forever, it causes far too many problems and is just another greed fueled issue

it is clear that Tommy is building a squad that can play at pace, and that's comfortable on the ball as well ... we can look forward to a Leeds United that gets at teams and puts them under pressure, and from the looks of it is capable of getting goals ... last season we relied heavily on our defence, and far too often we allowed the opposition the majority of possession, looking for our goals on the break ... the problem, of course, was that when we went behind it became a real struggle against teams who were organised to get the goal back ... when we went two down it was game over ... we also seemed intent on hanging onto a one goal advantage rather than putting teams away, and it cost us ... opponents won't have that luxury against Leeds this season, and Reading will be in for a shock with all their sideways passing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FORZA LEEDS, Jammy 07 and LeedsLover like this.
  13. milkyboy

If true you'd think palace would be favourites then boro then us. Our only selling point would be he's had a year here and seemingly loved it.

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Bartley will get a big wage for Prem club Palace above Midds & Leeds. We might hope he wants to finish the job at Leeds, get back to his mate Ayling etc, or could he go to Midds to be with his mate Monk. Money should talk and Swansea will get a bigger fee for him from Palace, but hey living in the ****hole that is London where it costs £40 for a pint unless you get blown up by a passing rag head ...

15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best mates with Ayling, was with Ayling at Arsenal, had a year here, fans love him, can see we have a proper set up in place and can see we are going for it. I'd put us down as favourites, well at least ahead of Boro

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  16. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

I think that's what it might come down too Doc, CP's wages v Love of Monk, if he picks CP Monk will be pissed.........good...:emoticon-0148-yes:

17. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Palace should stroll a deal for Bartley, be interesting to see his fee ... when you look at Leicester paying a ridiculous £17m for Harry Maguire from Hull it sums up the stupidity at Prem level ... Maguire is not as good as Bartley, but the desperation to get a defender with "Prem" experience forces fees up way beyond where they should be ... £3m for Maguire is about right, and if Swansea are going to get a big fee from Palace then I have no problem with Bartley going there ... the wages will also be massive, and Bartley will easily get £45k a week at Palace, way too much for us to pay ... highlights why we need promotion sooner rather than later

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  18. milkyboy

Palace are Prem. They would be first choice.

I think boro have more cash to spend, are a better bet for promotion and he gets on with monk.

We have a new management team with an influx of foreign signings making the dynamic very different to last year. I suspect he'll have checked out what ayling thinks of TC/Orta.

Let's hope that feedback is positive... assuming he's up for sale at all!

19. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

<yikes> is this really you ?

keep away from mosques or they'll have you in their suicide squad <yikes>

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  20. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

We all seem to be discussing Bartley's wages as an issue, but what about the transfer fee? I read somewhere recently that it will take at least £7.5m for Swansea to part with him. FFS, we don't spend that much on a striker!

Bottom line? Forget him. He's not coming to us. Resign yourself to that & you won't be disappointed. Nowt wrong with hoping for a massively unexpected surprise, but realistically, it ain't going to happen.