1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 12, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

Where would you say that Leeds need to improve?

What are our weaknesses?

Well, according to the Toon, this is where they are going to exploit us.

Do you agree?

Play With A High Tempo
    With a club-high 8 assists and an absolutely massive 2.7 key passes delivered per game, Pablo Hernandez is by far Leeds’ most creative player. Hernandez is extremely cultured and, in terms of control, passing, and positional skills, he is still very much a player of Premier League quality.

However, like every player, Hernandez has his weaknesses. He was not as effective as usual in the cut-and-thrust games away to Reading and Brentford because he was afforded less time on the ball in those contests.

It’s probably no coincidence. So Newcastle would do very well to ensure that they start fast and hustle the opposition. When Hernandez gets good possession, he generally creates something with it.

Pressing Hernandez when he has the ball would be the obvious choice, but charging down everyone and passing the ball to retain possession will go a long way towards Newcastle denying Leeds the time on the ball they need.

Stop The Supply For Wood
    Chris Wood has been in stunning form and is so important to Leeds United. With 24 goals in 36 starts, Wood is easily one of the best strikers in this division and is looking at Premier League football next season one way or the other.

Should Wood see enough time on the ball and if enough chances come his way, he will provide the finishing touches which would seal this game for the Elland Road side. However, there is a flaw in that plan.

Wood is not the type of player who will pick up the ball deep, take on 5 Newcastle players and bury a 30-yeard curler into the top corner. He’s a deadly finisher, but a kind of striker who needs to be supplied. The fast tempo mentioned above and less possession to Leeds than usual would be enough to make Wood starve. From there, Shelvey, Ritchie, and co can do the rest.

Agree?

2. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Leeds United Are The Most Financially Stable Club In The Championship
    Massimo Cellino has certainly had his critics at Leeds United, but latest figures released suggest that the club has the lowest salary to turnover ratio in the whole of the Championship.

At least that was the case among those featuring in the Championship last season, with Leeds spending just 59% of their turnover on player wages. To put it into perspective; the worst ratios were those of Nottingham Forest and Brentford who somehow managed to spend 166% of their turnover on player salaries.

That has led to talk of big spending in the transfer market this summer with Max Gradel among the names touted which would cost the club serious money. So, are the fans right to be excited about the future for once?

It certainly seems like Leeds will be in a position to get back into the Premier League sooner rather than later. They may yet go up this season via the play-offs and would of course then have more money to spend than in a typical Championship year. Even if it takes another 12 months, Leeds are definitely on the right track now and can expect top flight football soon enough.

Even if they stay down this time, Cellino may well bring out the chequebook in the summer in order to make one last push and ensure they go for the title. The money is there now for Leeds to use and it is real money. They are no longer a club which needs to be in serious debt in order to buy players.

A lot has happened in the last 25 years or so. Leeds United were the last team to win the top flight in England before it became the Premier League. In the modern era, Leeds were regulars in the top-4 and reached the Champions League semi-final.

Images of Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Robbie Keane and Rio Ferdinand come to mind from those days when winning the Premier League was a genuine target. Leeds have a huge fan base, a big stadium, and a massive reputation. Even after relegation, everything remained for them to be one of the top ten clubs in England, apart from the huge debt they had.

That debt is now gone and thanks to Cellino. The fact that money can now be spent and that the fans warm to Cellino more, is making things come together once again at Elland Road. Not long before we see Leeds United fighting for the European places once again?

Leeds’ financial stability has been achieved via Premier League parachute payments, a strong fan base and some quite canny dealings from their much-maligned owner.

3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all.

I still don't rate Hernandez that much, yes I know he has a blinding game in him but once every 4-5 games isn't enough and the assists, most are from corners and when you consider this I question is 8 really anything special? Looking at how reports keep saying he is a PL quality player and how he gets singled out, name your top 5 Leeds players this season, I bet Hernandez isn't one of them <ok>

I'm not saying I don't want Hernandez in the squad, I'm not saying he is useless, I just don't believe he stands out above anyone.

Fulham have Aluko and Cairney both on 10 assists each, Villa have Hourihane on 13 and Adomah on 10 Kemar Roofe has 6 and when you consider how many goals we have scored from corners earlier in the season I question is Hernandez better than Roofe?
    http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/24/statistics/assists

Newcastle have better players, we need to have a better team on the day...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, I'd settle for a 0-0 now tbh.

That would put us on 73 points with 4 games left.

Lets assume the Wendies beat Cardiff and Fulham draw at Norwich, that would mean we are still a point ahead of the Wendies by a point and gd and Fulham are on 68 points.

You'd expect us to win at Burton, and certainly beat Wigan last game of the season (we'd hope). That should mean job done.

Wigan however might have to win to stay up?

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning Elland, as things stand today, you would hope we secure a spot before the last game of the season. Wendies beating Newcastle was immense for them.

I can see Wednesday getting 6-7 points next three games, Fulham have three very hard games, if we manage 6 from next three we are there. Reading against Villa next game for them, will be interesting to see how they come back from that 7-1 thumping

ellandback likes this.
  7. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

It's all very technical at moment Ell cos it's so tight, but this is the championship, and we're at the funny end of season where anything can happen; if results go Derby's way over next two games they can throw themselves into pot as well, highly unlikely though......:emoticon-0148-yes:

ellandback likes this.
  8. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. My views on what points are needed are well documented at this stage.Not at all worried about Fridays result as lots of games to get our win. Friday would be a nice bonus.as for Cellino sorting the club out, great job. Lots of hangers on gone, suppliers, staff and taxman all get paid now. Needed someone ruthless to sort it and we got him. He made some mistakes along the way but did a hell of a lot more good than bad

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Draw has to be good result

For me, Hernandez adds a dimension no other player in the squad can, even losing against Reading he stood out for me and, as the Newcastle writer said, it was not one of his easiest games

Personally I'm glad Cooper is out.

Anyway, I think we'll lose, would not be end of world if we did but any result would be good (other than a reading style 7-1 drubbing of course)

10. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all.

Would be happy with a draw Friday. Basically between now and the end of the season we need to mirror the results of either Fulham or the Wendie's.

I would be starting Doukara on Friday. We lose a little of the attaching flair and pace but i always think we are harder to beat when he plays and that is the important thing.

Would be happy with the two youngsters again in midfield because, and buying against him, i think we look better without Bridcutt

Whitejock and ellandback like this.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Afternoon Lover, can't see anyone outside the top 7 tbh. Any of the play off four could drop out, Huddersfield are only two points ahead of us, and a crap gd.

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Afternoon Eire, Cellino had more knockers than Sam Fox....

13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

The dates for the 2016/17 Sky Bet Play-Offs have been announced, as the season draws to an exciting finale with teams battling it out to secure an all-important Play-Off place.
    The first legs of the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi-Finals will take place over the weekend of 13th and 14th May, with the return legs being held on the 16th and 17th May.

The Final will then be staged at Wembley Stadium on Monday 29th May to determine which team secures a place in the Premier League, in a match that is considered the most lucrative in world football.

Before that, though, the Sky Bet League One Play-Off Final will be played on Saturday 20th May at the national stadium. To find out who will compete in the Final, the Semi-Final first legs will be held on Thursday 4th May, with the second legs on Sunday 7th May.

In Sky Bet League Two, the first legs of the Semi-Finals will be held on Sunday 14th May, and the return legs on Thursday 18th May, ahead of the Wembley Final on Sunday 28th May.

The proposed 2016/17 Sky Bet Play-Off Semi-Final schedule is as follows:

Sky Bet Championship

Sat 13 May: Championship Semi-Final A first leg (5:30pm)
    Sun 14 May: Championship Semi-Final B first leg (12:00pm)

Tues 16 May: Championship Semi-Final A second leg (7:45pm)
    Wed 17 May: Championship Semi-Final B second leg (7:45pm)

Mon 29th May: Championship Play-Off Final (3:00pm)

Jammy 07 likes this.
  14. Eireleeds1

A
    A lovely memory or mammary <whistle>

15. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

did I read she was lesbian or was it my imagination? Not that it matters

16. Eireleeds1

She surely was but that revelation didnt make me throw away my Playboy from 20 years ago that she featured in <ok>.

ellandback likes this.
  17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Yes, she was on celeb big brother last year.

Her lesbian partner died a year or two back after an illness and her is with another fm.

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Afternoon 2020, well said. Not sure I'd start with Hernandez. Maybe just the 2nd half

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Afternoon hemase

20. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Afternoon elland,

Do you know which is match A and match B ?

And also who is home first ?