1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

I put a vote up on twitter last night asking the question who was most to credit for Leeds Utd's success this season.

Although I was expecting Monk to be 'up there', I was not expecting this landslide!

I was also amazed at how little of the voters backed Wood!

I know this only shows 300 votes, but do you believe this is a true reflection of Leeds Utd's fans?

Rio Ferdinand has urged Everton hitman Lukaku to leave the Toffee's and has had a dig at Leeds at the same time:-

“Does Romelu Lukaku want to wait for that future?

“He wants it immediately, he wants it now. He wants to win titles and play Champions League football.

“I understand his desire for that. I was in a situation at Leeds. I was playing Champions League football but were we winning? Did we win the league? No. The crux of me leaving Leeds was the idea that I was going to win the Premier League. Simple as that.

“[Everton] don’t seem to be a team that can offer him what he wants in terms of winning. Everton are a big club, but they aren’t winners, they were winners in the 80s and they need to get back to that. They are building to get back to that.

“But there are some players who are impatient and want it now and seems Romelu Lukaku is one of them.”

I know that every player has played his part this season, but if there was one player in the squad that has not been as good as you expected him to be, who would that be?

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Grimes is a mystery as he was a regular U21 player, a kid on the rise who Monk will have had a lot to do with. Why hasnt it worked out for him? he has played and at times showed that special class, but mostly has gone missing, going to ground, losing the ball, and passes going astray. Big Duke is very similar but from time to time manages to keep the ball and do something that wins us a game.

The team of the year is bollox too because if you look at the goals conceded you will find us with Brighton & Newcastle as conceding the fewest ergo best defences. so pick 4 or 5 defenders from those teams, no Bartley or Ayling? how many goals created by defenders, Taylor/Berardi? How many tackes made? there is an argument that says our midfield is the worst in the top 6 but have the best defence as they stop more, create more more, intercept more and distribute more. Just saying

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

I wonder if its occurred to Rio Ferdinand that its players who don't want to play for a club that makes it unlikely that the team will win anything.

4. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Morning all

Seen a few clips about Lukaku and this pie in the sky move that wont's happen. Experts talking about him going to Chelsea and the Scum, the only place he will end up is North London rotting under Wenger.

Rio can shut the **** up....

No surprise Monk got top of that poll he is the only person you can attribute to the 'success' of this season.

5. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning Elland and all. Its the attitude of Ferdinand and the likes of Lokaku that have created the monster that is the PL. Ok Leicester won/fluked it but no new team can ever break into the top six consistently with that sort of attitude among top players. Everton had a chance if they could have held on to everyone and added one or two more. It stinks to be honest and the main reason whilst I want Leeds to win promotion, same as every other fan, I dont look forward really to what comes next. The PL is a fake league created to make everyone involved wealthy and laden with players that dont give a damn about the clubs they play for. Enjoy this season lads, we may never have another like it <ok>

6. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Morning guys, sadly I think Eire is right, if we go up we are likely to lose the identity we currently have, and it's the desire to wear the shirt with pride that has cemented the whole squad and management this year, and has seen the fans buy in to the club again.

Equally sadly, we probably need a spell in the top tier to secure the next generation of fans, even if the team they watch in all likelihood doesn't give a damn about the club. <wah>

It's all about the money, money, money....

ristac likes this.
  7. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Morning all <ok>

8. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering how Rio managed to miss all those drugs tests

No doubt there's some innocent explanation

Farsleyexile and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Eire has it correct but there are ways of countering that and staying true to beliefs and not doing a Ridsdale because thats what happens. 1) WBA bounce up a down a few seasons slowly building a better squad each year until you succeed and stabalise in the prem. Stoke did that too, Norwich are trying that route without superstars, Burnley will do that as it works. Good young manager given everything he wants within reason but nobody on superstar money, contracts to reflect loss of salary from £x this season to £y if relegated. Newcastle able to sell £50m of players and buy £35m replacements keeping them top of the league and auto promotion nailed on. Remember their owner only demands reality, which is staying in the top 20 which nets £150m each season and being one of a handful of clubs making a profit. He aint bothered about winning the league because hes a realist and understands it will cost him £300m to have a shot and thats a huge gamble. So build a squad to keep in the prem with a bonus structure for players and manager that is based on the higher the league position just as the prem league payments do. so being 14th gets an extra million than 15th. players bonus prorata same.

10. Eireleeds1

All very fine Doc but how long would Leeds fans stay happy with 14th place finishes in the PL. We're an impatient lot you know and after a couple of seasons would get very boring. Remember finishing there means a team is losing around two thirds of their matches, hardly riveting stuff to watch

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Let's just get there first and worry about it then

12. lifecheshirewhite

The team that everyone has missed and it can be the way to go is Spurs,cashed in on bale and used the money to make a much better squad.There grounds not much bigger than ours if any,and there owner hasn't put massive money in.

13. lifecheshirewhite

<laugh> good point​

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  14. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

Sadly what you say is true and it means for all except half a dozen clubs it is not a football competition it is a race to avoid relegation.

15. Eireleeds1

Spurs mid way through building a 60k five star stadium which will look more like five star hotel so hardly what we would want to aspire to. They also blew all the Bale money on rubbish the following season, their successful rebuilding has been since. They do seem to have cash always. Of course, big test financially could be a couple of seasons out of Europe and unsettled players etc

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  16. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

I wonder if most Leeds fans would like to see Huddersfield overtake Brighton for an auto spot if Leeds can't make top two .

17. lifecheshirewhite

No dont think so if Fulham finish 6th and Huddersfield 4th you would have to fancy Fulham as they beat them 5-0 not too long back.

seabreeze likes this.
  18. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

why have an £800m stadium of your own when you can rent one <ok>

19. lifecheshirewhite

Are they not paying for it then ? or you on about the Hammers

20. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

of course they are paying for it from the petty cash box <ok>