1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Mar 8, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

please log in to view this image

A MASSIVE following of 7,200 Leeds fans left Craven Cottage last night with mixed emotions at the Cottagers scored a last minute equaliser to keep their narrow play off hopes alive.

And who should score?

No other than Tom Cairney; an old LUFC player from the age of 7 -16.

Since he left us, he has a habit of scoring against us!

After the game, the Highways agency paid tribute to the extraordinary support by laying down 20,000 cones per fan in the M1.

At the end of the day, the scoreline was perhaps fair as Fulham had a shot which came of the crossbar and apparently crossed the line.

Let's look at the positives.

Wendies drew with Burton Albion

Reading held by Newcastle

We are 8 points clear

11 to play

Bartley not booked

Wood and Ayling to come back.

Next, home match against QPR

Farsleyexile likes this.
  2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Great result. If we'd been offered seven points from Fulham, Birmingham and Wednesday we'd have jumped at it and two were away from home. Last playoff place will be between Wednesday and Fulham, the latter having a notoriously difficult end of season. On to Saturday and giving qpr a beating we owe them

3. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Morning Ell

Obviously a last few seconds equaliser feels like a kick in the goolies but I would have taken the draw all day long yesterday. Allowing for our late equaliser at Elland Road against them when they also outplayed us and the "goal" that wasn't given last night I think we have fared ok. If we can beat QPR and Fulham don't beat Newcastle the table will look decent with a handful of games left :emoticon-0148-yes:

FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.
  4. lifecheshirewhite

Fulham play at Wednesday last game of the season,and Elland 10 games left not 11 <doh>

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  5. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

Morning all. We battled so hard all game and while we had around 27% possession to concede in the 96th minute and probably more like 97th when the ref was supposed to play to 95 mins, is gutting. Still a point and the defense and green were excellent. Harried well in centre of park but couldn't keep the ball and gave it away too many times. Wingers were not really in the game and Dukes up front on his own meant we rarely troubled them. A few counter attacks second half and of course we hit the post but hey ho, lets get 3 pts at the weekend.

Marcos Barber and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After Sheffield W I thought we had cemented our place in the top 6, then I changed my mind and felt we must win at Birmingham. Again I thought that should be enough but as last nights game approached I thought we must avoid defeat.

It is so tight at the top, nobody is faltering at the moment, usually by now there would be an uncatchable gap. I would normally feel pretty confident that the points so far and the probable points required would be accomplished easily but we haven't played well for a while now.

The lads not only need another 3 points against QPR we need a performance to match, grinding them out must take a mental toll on the players, I know it does on me as a fan!!

Disappointed to hear how poor Barrow was when he came on.

Morning btw

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire, Oh yes, hope we give QPR a walloping on Saturday, just like they did to us on the first game of the season...

8. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Marcos, indeed. I think we definitely need to take 3 points on Saturday. If I remember rightly, we still need to play the Barcodes at St James Pk, as well as difficult games against Reading and Brighton.

9. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

We have but even three or four points from those three games still make it really hard for teams to make much ground up on us and all those around us won't win all of their games either- points in the bag are massive now. Just no more silly slip ups like the Cardiff result (no disrespect intended) and we are nearly there!

ellandback and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  10. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

Good morning all. I can only go by the radio commentary but what surprised and disappointed me was, for much of the game Fulham seemed to play us off the field.I expected more from Leeds. Although as we know points are more important than performance at this stage

ristac likes this.

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Morning all,

A positive from last night was the performance of Charlie Taylor. Considering it was his first game for months he was superb, and despite the conspiracy theories that he's biding his time till the summer and protecting himself from injury he showed 100% commitment to the cause

Gives us the option of leaving Berardi (what a player he is btw) at RB and playing Ayling CB in place of Bartley till the yellow card amnesty kicks in

What is it with Leeds and corners? Woeful. None of our corners, whether it was Phillips taking them or Dallas when he came on, reached beyond the near post. When chances were few and far between we were so wasteful with them. Hernandez was sorely missed in this department. It's surely not too much to ask of a highly paid footballer to take a decent corner ffs

Doukara had a good game and actually won a couple of headers! Wouldn't have made any difference had Wood been playing as he'd have been starved of service

As for Barrow when he came on he was the only Leeds player who didn't close down, chase and harry the opposition. Hope he was just having an off day

12. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Weve been woeful for years at corners. Hernandez revolutionised that part of our game this season but he wasnt playing last night so we go back to square one on the set pieces

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  13. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Morning all <ok>

14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Chesh, if truth be known 15 pames if you count the play offs and the final... <ok>

15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Lee, we've let in a few during injury time I recollect! Perhaps when Wood is back (at the weekend), play Pedraza and Wood up front?

16. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

10 plus 3 equals 15 does it <doh>

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, couldn't agree more. Thing is if we guarantee a play off place with 3 or 4 games remaining, and take our foot off the gas, it can be difficult to get back there!

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning wcd, I think we managed to restrict Fulham to a handful of scoring chances. They have a very good record at home and Monk put a game plan in mind knowing we'd be without Wood, Ayling, Hernandez etc meaning we'd be hard to break down.

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Essex, well said about Taylor, he's fresh and raring to go. Could be the difference between promotion or not. Also means we can afford to rest a defender if needed.

20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Bucks, hope you are well!