1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Feb 20, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

After a scrappy draw which we did well to get a point from, Leeds attention will switch to an all Yorkshire affair as Leeds entertain the Wendies on Saturday lunchtime.

Looking back at the result on Saturday, it is important to remember that Norwich, Brighton and Reading have all been held to draws at Portman Rd.

On a positive note (for some) Taylor resumes training today. It will be interesting to see if he is fit, whether he gets the nod over Berardi.

Have Leeds gone off the boil or have other teams just worked out how to deal with Monks 4/2/3/1 formation?

Monk said himself some weeks ago that he wanted to introduce a second formation when he was satisfied that the team was totally at grips with his present one!

Perhaps the opposition have worked out how to deal with it?

That being the case, what will Monk do?

We haven't seen a lot of Barrow or Pedraza since they signed at the end of January.

I wonder whether these signings were indeed Monk's choice or not?

please log in to view this image
    g

Which team do we fear that will be chasing that 6th play off place?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Norwich, Fulham & Derby will be going for play offs & we have to hope we can start stringing passes and points together to keep us up there. Newcastle & Brighton isnt nailed on yet as they are both capable of dropping points, but for me the same worry is about only having goals from Wood. There are 9 or 10 top teams who have people who score goals not just the front man, and why we still keep using Duke off the bench is beyond me, hes big but cant pass and stay on his feet enough for a forward. End product from Sako is worrying and why Big Al should be playing as he will run at defenders all day and win penalties as well as get the ball into danger areas. Its now fingers crossed time folks

3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all... We have gone off the boil a bit.

I never buy into teams working you out, top teams play one way, if you're good enough nobody will stop you.

Do other teams like Brighton and Huddersfield have more than one way to play?

Hernandez got a slating from various sources, that's our problem. The whole team need to put in a shift and perform well, if one or two under perform it totally upsets the balance.

At the start of the season we looked awful, when O'Kane came into the starting 11 it was like a missing piece of jigsaw. When O'Kane and Bridcutt are both available they should start every game.

Vieira is a good player but he is living off the reputation of his Derby game performance. Have him come in off the bench, I too have lost patience with Doukara now.

Most teams have a mini bad spell, IF this is ours I hope we get away with it lightly. The two new signings are a bit of a mystery, surely Barrow at least was a Monk choice?

If he was first choice, now that is debatable...

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. I see Doc has dropped Villa from his contenders <whistle> A lot now rides on the Wendies game. Full house, great chance to cement top six place maybe even widen the gap further. If the lads cant produce a performance with all those incentives, itll be worrying. As for the January transfers, of course they werent first choice. Our potential signings are based around loanees and loan to buy options. They may have been first choice among that lot but thats a long way off the best players available. The new owner made no difference in January, more of the same scratching around and see who we can borrow. Clubs dont loan out their better players and until we either get promoted or get a rich owner, thats where well always be shoppimg

5. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

6. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened there. Morning all I think we will see Pedraza at his best on good ground. Did you see that sublime finish by Ibrahimovic? how he waited was the mark of a really top class striker.

7. LeedsinYork

LeedsinYork Well-Known Member

If we've gone off the boil then so has everyone else, no one appears to be catching us. Norwich and Derby are as hit and miss as us. Fulham may be a threat if they win their games in hand but they haven't won them yet. As for Ped and Mo, why bother signing them. Monk seems reluctant to play them or are they just not that good. Pedraza has a 8.5 mil euro price tag on him if we get promoted but doesn't seem to be justifying it. Got to say regarding Monk, he seems to be coming across as a one trick pony, we only seem to be able to play one system. Not only that i'm concerned about his constant switching of the mids and wingers, he needs to play his preferred eleven ( if he has one ) and get a settled side again. Shame he froze Dave out cos he was as good or better than the mids we have here now especially Grimes.

Whitejock and ristac like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Getting Taylor back soon will be great especially if brings back that drive we seem to have lost recently. I appreciate no team in this league can keep playing at top level, it just seems that our players all need to pay well at the same time. Think Ristac said the same thing, we are not good enough to carry passengers and probably why Grimes doesnt feature as he can be garbage for 15 minute periods and show class for a couple of minutes. Big Al should be a match winner for us, he is the real class player in the squad so why not play him?

Eire Villa will come good mate but may have left it too late now.

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think like a lot of our players, Monk is work in progress learning as he goes along. I also believe Clotet has a big influence but in a positive way. This season it really has been a team effort so far, each person from coach down.

Touching on what Eire said above, considering how near we were going into the start of January, it is a shame the new guy didn't invest in players. Back then we were talking about catching the top 2 now it is clinging on to 6th

He came into the club all mouth look at me, reality is he's done Jack

He hasn't even sorted a contract out for Monk after saying that was his priority

To save a few quid we give Jansson the promise of a contract in July, I admit I might be being harsh on that one but the fact is, no new contract for Monk, no investment to strengthen and two loan players just making the bench

If the loan players are not better than Sacko, Dallas and Doukara then that's poor, we might as well have kept Mowatt.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  10. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Morning all <ok>

Ipswich away is a tough place to go! We beat the wendies on saturday and 4 points from those two games is a coup IMO.

But we really do need to win! <laugh>

BillysStatue likes this.

11. Eireleeds1

Worryingly, our record against other teams in the top six has not been good. As you say, win is a must now

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  12. Massimo Cellino

Massimo Cellino Active Member

We are off the boil, and the Wendies is a must win. We're not going to make the top two, and the team that wins the playoffs almost always arrives there on the back of a long winning streak, with an aura of invincibility. That needs to start now.

Whitejock likes this.
  13. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

hudders are home to reading on tuesday and then reading go to brighton at weekend.hudders go to barnsley.weds play their game in hand midweek against brentford.
    lots of interesting fixtures coming up.even if we scrape draws its better than losing.
    i believe a win on saturday with the early kick off would set us up nicely.

OLOF and BillysStatue like this.
  14. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

sack Monk, clearly no clue .. drum Radrizzani out of Elland Road, clearly just a thief .. get Krasner back and persuade Evans to return .. send all the loanees back, useless bunch

FFS what is wrong with people? That was a battling draw away to a tough Ipswich team, and when you see how Cardiff are doing it's clear they have found their settled team and results are coming .. the Championship is an unforgiving league, and we are seven points away from Norwich, so still in control

at the start of the season we were all begging to be around ninth at this stage of the season with a six point gap to the playoffs .. well, we are currently in control of our own destiny, and this season has delivered way beyond our wildest expectations ... however, people are still complaining and slamming Monk .. Rad is being questioned even though he's only been at the club for five minutes

if I wasn't Leeds I'd actually wish that Leeds get relegated all the way down to League Two so that the ungrateful "supporters" who keep pointing fingers get what they deserve, a **** club they can moan about all day long

how hard is it to enjoy our best season since the League One promotion campaign? have people forgotten those trips to Swindon, Carlisle and Crewe already? it wasn't that long ago that our fixture list looked like a season of FA Cup First Round ties

at the start of this season we all thought breaking into the top ten would be a massive improvement, and it would show real progress ... we looked at the clubs we thought would be way ahead of us

Newcastle
    Aston Villa
    Brighton
    Reading
    Derby
    Fulham
    Sheff Weds
    Norwich
    Birmingham

all clubs that were ahead of Leeds in terms of squads/money .. yet here we are, Monk is working miracles with a small, young squad and Leeds are in the thick of a promotion challenge .. yes, it is getting tougher every game, but that's the Championship for you .. now it is all about attitude, all about having the sheer will to fight through physical encounters against committed teams when your lungs are burning and your legs are aching .. its all about maintaining concentration when you are exhausted and feel you can't run another yard, willing yourself to get across and make that last ditch tackle to preserve a hard earned point

this is what the Championship is all about, teams that challenge you every week, forcing you to give every ounce of energy to earn a result .. the Championship at this stage of the season is not about bowling green pitches and tippy tappy football .. its not about flicks, nutmegs, Cruyff turns and back heels .. Monk has got the key ingredients needed to sustain a promotion challenge ... desire, belief, willingness, focus, bravery, determination ... trust Monk, he has worked a genuine miracle to get Leeds into the top six and keep them there, and now is not the time to stop supporting him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jammy 07, davy, hemase and 3 others like this.
  15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We might look back at the end of the season and think what a great season. We might miss out on top 6 the loanees go back and Monk walks as he feels he warranted better support in the January transfer window.

I know you see it all Rosy Billy but the truth is it is finally balanced, I'm not sure where you find the need to support the new guy in charge (Rad) when he hasn't done anything other than shoot his mouth off.

Yes great season so far, shame January wasn't better in the transfer market, yes Monk has worked wonders with mistakes along the way but at the start of the season he was supported by Cellino with 12? New costly signings, not something that has happened in a long time.

OLOF and Eireleeds1 like this.
  16. Eireleeds1

Agree 100%

17. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

With whom? How do you manage to balance that sofa on the fence? :D

MIGHTY and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  18. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Ristac, I have had the best season for a long, long time. I don't have to wait until the end of the season to think that. I already know it. Not one match have I watched through my fingers. It's been great to watch. Not one set piece have I muttered the usual 'what's the point - we never score from these'. I EXPECT us to score, or at least be in with a great chance of scoring. 16 from set pieces so far! Ten seasons worth, almost! Crowds are rising because we have sustained hope - when did that last happen? L1? First half of the season after our promotion?

At the end of the season, there will only be one thought in my mind, no matter how it ends, and that will be 'roll on next season - I can't wait. And it doesn't matter what league we're in - I really don't care.

Jammy 07, davy, FORZA LEEDS and 5 others like this.
  19. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0137-clapp:emoticon-0137-clapp:emoticon-0137-clapp

BillysStatue likes this.
  20. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

You know what bothers me is deja vu,the last time we were in such a great position was well,we all remember under grayson,we all thaught just a bit of support through the january window would have possibly pushed us over the line,but nothing from Bates,i just hope history is not repeating itself with Rad.

ristac and Farsleyexile like this.