1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The beginning of the end .......

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

.... of football as we know it!!
    I've just seen this story on the BBC Gossip website and I must admit it seem smore and more likely to happen - especially with clubs such as ManUre willing to spend close to £200M on 2 players. I fear it will mean that both Manchester clubs, Chelsea and possibly Arsenal leaving the PL and my feeling is that in some ways, it will be a good thing.
    OK, the zillions paid out by BT Sport and Sky will certainly diminish after this current deal ends, but at least it will result in more matches kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday, not at some whimsical time to suit the TV sports broadcasters with NO regards to the away fans who may not be able to attend as the game is being played on a Monday evening.
    The downside is that even MORE money will be available to the teams who are members of this Super League and so there will be less available for the remaining teams in the PL etc

Full story here - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/world-super-league-clubs-europe-8795828

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Can't see it myself as someone mentioned in the comments section at the foot of that article, they were talking of a European Super League 20 years ago and that still hasn't materialised. It's the likes of Real, AC, Inter, Bayern etc that are envious of our Premier League trying to stir this up <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

We were supposed to be playing the odd game like Arsenal v Chelsea or Man U v Liverpool in Abu Dhabi or Texas as a brilliant marketing ploy and that never got off the ground either.
    The EPL is the most watched league in the World and our Continental cousins want a slice of the pie.
    We have the Champions league and as much as I'm looking forward to seeing The Madrids play each other again to be honest when the English clubs go out I don't honestly care what happens.
    Since ITV lost the rights to air it the buzz around England has gone.

4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Was there ever a 'buzz around England' in the first place? There have been occasions when I haven't even watched the final, last year for instance. I can honestly say that unless I Google it I couldn't tell you who won it last year !

5. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Madrid city beat Madrid Hotspurs

I used to sit down with a few cold ones watching Arsenal Man U Newcastle back in the day on a telly with my mates.
    I wouldn't bother on my phone or laptop or going to the pub it's the same **** every year .

JM Fan likes this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

FACT: The Manchester Derby will be the most expensive football match ever played.

please log in to view this image

7. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

........ and one of those was a free transfer ! <yikes>

8. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Obscene I call it.

9. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anyone remember the inaugural season of the Premier League, when NCFC, Coventry, QPR, and the Gristle (ITFC) were all in the top four and the so-called "big guns" were nowhere to be seen?
    Happy days - a level-ish playing field before oligarchs and sheikhs moved in!
    Never to be replicated, though a breakaway super league would help restore a little parity <ok>

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

We must be one of the few clubs in the PL/Championship which lacks wealthy backers and I quite like it that way - sorry KIO and others who would like to see us being able to mix with the clubs who can afford to splurge £20M and upwards on a single player.

Puncturedtractortyre likes this.

11. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Why isn't there an 'unlike' button on here <laugh>

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

There is! You hit the like button twice, first you like it then you unlike it!

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member