1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2017 Champion Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

He misses his planned engagement in Saturday’s ‘Contenders Hurdle’ (bookie chappies now scratched him re this race) due to a ‘small problem’ – a tweaked muscle it would appear. It isn't expected, at the moment, to prevent him from resuming full work again shortly and therefore heading to the Festival next month.

Scare over on ‘Oddschecker’ and he seems to have settled down again – his price in the 4/1 – 5/1 region.

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

8.7 on BF. Worth a cheeky tenner I thought, if he'll soon be back in work.

On the other hand, perhaps a leg's fell off.

3. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Had to back YORKHILL no runner no bet at 7/2. Strange, strange race and market so late in the day. Can't recall a championship market so up in the air with only 6 weeks to go...

4. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

He's the one potential late switch left and I don't blame you for taking the NRNB price on him if you don't mind waiting until March for your money to come back/profit.

I'm currently glancing at the mares hurdles- you got any definitive thoughts on who runs where for WPM Beefy?

5. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Sur y got to be the Mares, would be daft to Send her chasing when she hasn't raced over a chasing fence in about 15 months, be sill to go 3m and she won't run in the champion hurdle unless Faugheen doesn't run which only leaves the Mares! Which once again she will bolt up the race on Saturday was too bad to be true and I think that was a challenge By Willie and again with that the Mares is surely the only race

However AIRLIE BEACH will bolt up in the Mares novice - thoughts on her Toppy

6. woolcombe-folly007

And sorry toppy I know I wasn't the person you were looking for a answer from <laugh>

7. TopClass

Are you taking about VVM mate in your first paragraph?

In my opinion, due to Melon not being the nailed on favourite for the Supreme for Mullins (Vautour, Douvan, Min), Airlie Beach will run in the Supreme with a mares allowance. The depth of his mares means he could still chuck Augusta Kate/Camila De Cotte at the mares novice.

There's also that machine that won over fences he unleashed- Benie Des Dieux or some random French name similar to that (can never remember!)

Supreme- (Melon)Airlie Beach
    Mares- Vroum Vroum Mag
    Mares Novice- Camilo De Cotte/Augusta Kate
    Albert Bartlett- Lets Dance

The one thing with Augusta Kate is that if Invitation Only doesn't make it to the festival, Willie doesn't have an obvious Neptune horse and given her performance until falling against Death Duty, she might get rerouted. But if her owners want the best chance of winning, then there won't be many better Novice mares than Augusta Kate and Airlie Beachs demolition of Saturnas would indicate she might hold up against the boys.

Who knows though!

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  8. TopClass

9. woolcombe-folly007

I was indeed my good friend!! I know willie does run a couple in the supreme but surely with the Mares Novice it is pretty much a penalty kick for AIRLIE BEACH (who I am huge fan of!- would love to see her in the champion hurdle next year) unless Willie enters another one of his for it but they have pretty much come ou and said LETS DANCE will not go for it. Which leave AK who i reckon will go for a more substantial race hopefully the Albert Bartlett. Which ever race Let's Dance goes for Agusta Kate will go for the other one!

Be interesting to see what they do with SENEWALK - after all he was the big hype horse right at the beginning of the season and completely flopped!

10. woolcombe-folly007

But it doesn't matter who they enter for the Supreme MOON RACER wins <cheers>

11. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Didn't Mullins say Limini is going to go to the Mares ?
    Swear I read an article about her becoming hsi next Quevega.

12. TopClass

Tal, there are two mares races mate- one is the Mares Hurdle (open age- the one that Quevega won 6 times)

Then the Mares Novice, which made its festival debut last year and was won by Limini.

Limini is now expected to run in the Mares Hurdle (open age), whilst Airlie Beach is the current favourite for the Mares Novice.

How it ends up though, only Willie and Ruby will know.

13. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Sorry Toppy- thought you were talking about VVM going to the mares?
    Was just saying that if Limini goes mares, VVM surely won't??

To this comment by wooly:

Sur y got to be the Mares, would be daft to Send her chasing when she hasn't raced over a chasing fence in about 15 months, be sill to go 3m and she won't run in the champion hurdle unless Faugheen doesn't run which only leaves the Mares! Which once again she will bolt up the race on Saturday was too bad to be true and I think that was a challenge By Willie and again with that the Mares is surely the only race

14. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Was VVM that far below form at Doncaster. She just beat Midnight Jazz who was just beaten by Lifeboat Mona on her previous start. This would tie in with most of her form. She usally only wins mares races by a few lenghts. The only piece of quality form was when she beat Identity Thief and My Tent Or Yours. Its quite possible that this was flattering form. She only has one race she is capable of winning at Cheltenham and thats the mares. If it's any bit stronger than last years race, which was every poor, she could get beat.

15. beeforsalmon

The Grade Two Champion Hurdle now... can't see Willie missing this gimme with Yorkhill now. Absolutely nothing of his class in it.

16. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Beefy I thought you'd come on here to say it's wide open for north hill Harvey.

beeforsalmon likes this.
  17. TopClass

I don't think that's correct at all and you are looking at this with a very pro-Mullins view.

If Buveur D'air and Yanworth are as Grade Two as you say they are then Yorkhill and Mins formlines are not up to much.

The New One is what you call Grade Two- I.e someone clearly not good enough to challenge the Elite in his division any more but mopping up events just short of that class.

BD and Yanworth are completely unexposed at this point in time and crucially have good records at the trip- which would be the one question you would ask about Yorkhill.

Festival looks wide open.

18. beeforsalmon

Haa! I actually was going to mention him as being a contender now! Did you take him at the 40s?

19. beeforsalmon

Can you show me where I said that lad, cos I'm pretty sure I didn't?! In fact I was one of the few on here that said YANWORTH at 16/1 wasn't the worst bet as he had such potential to shorten due to the weakness of the opposition he'd be facing? Think you're confused somewhere :confused:

20. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

dementia?