1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2017 Champion Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Aug 31, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The 14th of March is the date for you diaries for the 2017 running of the Champion Hurdle. The Grade 1 event is open to 4-year-olds and older and is run over 2 miles and 110 yards of the old course with 8 flights of hurdles to be jumped.

As its title suggests, the Champion Hurdle is the most prestigious hurdling event in the National Hunt calendar. Its list of winners features many of the most highly acclaimed hurdlers in the sport's history, and several of these, such as National Spirit, Istabraq, Hatton's Grace, Persian War and Lanzarote, have had races named in their honour.

Recent renewals have been dominated by the Irish, with only Rock On Ruby having won for Britain in the current decade:

upload_2016-8-31_15-58-48.png
    upload_2016-8-31_15-59-21.png

The betting for the 2017 renewal is currently dominated by horses in the care of just 2 trainers - Willie Mullins and Nicky Henderson, with Alan King's Yanworth also prominent. Here are the Bet365 odds as of August 31st:

Faugheen 2/1
    Annie Power 3/1
    Altior, Yorkhill 7/1
    Apples Jade, Vroum Vroum Mag 8/1
    Yanworth, Buveur D'air, Min, Arctic Fire 16/1
    20/1
    Bar

On paper this looks like being a classic renewal, with the last 2 Champions, Faugheen and Annie Power taking on the very impressive novice winners from the 2016 festival, Altior (Supreme) and Yorkhill (Neptune). With doubts certain to be surrounding Faugheen after his injury, he will be an uneasy favourite until he confirms his wellbeing. At this stage 2/1 makes no appeal, particularly given the fact that owner Rich Ricci has mentioned the World Hurdle as a possibility, given he has such a strong hand in the race. His mares Annie Power and Vroum Vroum Mag would both receive 7lbs from the geldings and clearly Annie Power, the reigning champion, has the better credentials of the 2. Vroum Vroum Mag looks likely to defend her title in the David Nicholson Mares Hurdle later the same afternoon. The filly Apple's Jade blew us all away at Aintree and easily followed up at Punchestown - could she end the terrible record of 5YOs in the race?

As ever with the Mullins runners, it is impossible to know which ones might run where and, with that in mind, none of them make ante post appeal.

Far more attractive propositions at this stage are the Nicky Henderson pair. Altior won a strong looking renewal of the Supreme, beating Min hands down with superior acceleration up the hill, with Buveur D'air back in 3rd. At this moment in time I feel he is the biggest threat to Mullins battalions and 7/1 (with 8s available in places) feels a tad generous for a Supreme winner who is unbeaten over hurdles. He looks a very straightforward sort who takes his races well and I can see him going into the big one unbeaten and a lot shorter than 7/1. Buveur D'air franked the form at Aintree where he looked a class act and is worth an early e/w snifter at 16s.

Yanworth will have his supporters but at the moment it is hard to make a case for him reversing the Neptune form with Yorkhill, especially given that one's subsequent exploits. Might Alan King be looking at novice chasing for the strapping son of Norse Dancer?

Beyond that it is difficult to pick anything from left field. Nicky Henderson's 2015 Triumph 1-2-3 will all have another year on their backs but were utterly terrible last season and the master of Seven Barrows will need to work some special magic on Hargam, Peace and Co and Top Notch to get them anywhere near this race. Similar comments apply to Henry De Bromhead's Identity Thief.

At this early stage I would therefore be interested only in backing the Henderson pair - Altior win at 7/1 and Buveur D'air e/w at 16s.

Ron, Ste D and hawkeye like this.
  2. hawkeye

hawkeye Well-Known Member

Have connections said Altior is staying hurdling? I remember them saying he was missing Aintree in order to school over fences before they decide what to do.

3. OddDog

Staff Member

I don't believe a decision has been made yet hawkeye. I'd be tempted to start him off in the Fighting Fifth, if he doesn't win they can always turn to novice chasing after that.

hawkeye likes this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Annie is a big favourite of mine so I would never back anything to beat her. However I would be slightly worried for her if the ground was fast. Considering the ground was good to soft (soft in places) this year, both Annie and Altior put up incredibly fast times without being hard pressed to win. In similar conditions it's hard to see past these 2. I think they will both be too fast for Faugheen. Very much like Apples Jade too and she may well have improved enough to run into a place but it's hard to look further than the 2 I've mentioned simply because they have proved they can get from start to finish, over C&D in extremely fast times. That'll do me. If the ground comes up fast. I wouldn't have a clue.

5. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Oddly, good write up but those prices you highlighted demonstrate how ridiculous ante-post odds really are.
    Personally I shouldn't fancy Henderson's charges and I'd want more than 7/1 about Altior, good prospect though he is.
    I'm a great fan of Annie Power, but I'd be confident Faugheen would blow her away at his best. Apart from one off-colour performance against Nicholls Canyon, he's the best hurdler since Istabraq- and his record is exemplary.
    Yes, 2/1 is pathetic but if he's as good as before, I'd rather take that price over any other in the race.

6. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

When asked to speculate on the outcome of a match up between Annie Power and Faugheen after APs win at Cheltenham Walsh said it would never happen. Shame, would love to see the 2015 and 2016 champs in the line up next March.

7. OddDog

Staff Member

You're probably right Tam - if the novices go chasing and Mullins' other runners go elsewhere we could end up with a 6 runner race with Faugheen 1/3. That would be disappointing with a capital "D".

8. the don

the don Well-Known Member

I was sure Altior, Buveur D'air and Yorkill are all going novice chasing - to me they all look like chasing types so I couldnt be touching any of them at this stage.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't touch anything ante post for Cheltenham this far away. The bookies should be taking NRNB. The chances of a horse running at all, let alone in a specific race are not reflected in the odds being offered. So the bookies can **** off

10. the don

This race is a really bad example of ante post betting for the festival and its ridiculous to back anything in this race at this point - prices are poor.
    However, i have enjoyed some really good ante post bets over the past 5 years or so and am adament its one of the best ways to make a nice turn from racing during the year - you just have to weight up all the risks and accept youre going to kiss some frogs.

Bostonbob likes this.

11. OddDog

Staff Member

If the Henderson pair do go novice chasing, and if Faugheen and Annie Power avoid each other, this could be a shocker of a Champion Hurdle.

12. the don

I think they will look at stepping Faugheen up given he won his point over 3 miles and seems to settle very well. That would leave Annie and her 7lb allowance to beat a potentially modest field.

13. OddDog

Staff Member

You want to get Harristown entered mate, he might get into the prize money if they all run scared <ok>

14. the don

Funny you should say that - ive always thought looking at some of the big races that you could take him to the course for a bit of a blow and also pick up some prize money!

OddDog likes this.
  15. OddDog

Staff Member

With news that Altior is going novice chasing, this race has now officially descended to the ranks of "which of Willie's will fill the 1-2-3?"

Answers on a postcard please

(I'll go for 1. Annie Power 2. Apple's Jade 3. Petit Mouchoir)

16. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Altoir now 7/2 with PadPow for the Arkle...!!

17. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

Yorkhill is a bit of value at 8/1 in the Arkle. Almost certain back to lay proposition. You'll be in profit by Christmas.

18. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Straight after Cheltenham last year Mullins called him a Champion Hurdle horse.

Crikey, September and we are guessing already!!

Bostonbob likes this.
  19. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Didn't he say that Ruby had told him he'll 'win the arkle with his mouth open'

20. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Yeah that was the only quote stuck in my mind too and Graham Wylie said the exact same thing directly afterwards. There was never much doubt Yorkhill was going chasing this season. On paper, chasing should bring out further improvement but, just like Altior, both would have no problems at all stepping up to an intermediate trip so I obviously wouldn't be going mad on either antepost.

Anyone know if Yanworth goes chasing or hurdling? He hardly disgraced himself finishing second to the mighty Yorkhill at Cheltenham. Serious horse on deep ground, he'll go chasing too at a guess???