1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That's that then.

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by Inverness Stokie, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Inverness Stokie

Thankfully we have seen the back of the January transfer window, i'm very disappointed that Tuncay has gone but it was his dream move to play in Germany, the place has masses of Turkish people populating various different cities and it seems as though Pulis gave Tuncay a glowing report for Schteve McLaren. It also seems that both men (Tuncay and Pulis) have nothing but admiration for one and other, i'm just gutted that it didn't work out and he didn't get a proper run in the side. We all move on and I wish the guy all the best of luck and I for one will be watching a few Wolfsburg matches to see how he gets on.
    As for the other departure in Eidur Gudjohnsen, he didn't do a lot and had to change his style as a result, I for one will not miss him and now he's gone I think we will have a better insight as to how our squad will look like. Good riddence puffin muncher I for one thought it was a massive publicity transfer.

Now on to the players that have actually come in to the club, i'll start with John Carew and I don't know about anyone else but i think he'll be a good player for us. He will score around 7-11 goals in my mind and if he can work a partnership with Kenwyne, Walters, Mama or Fuller then we could see the goals flowing down at the Britannia. A very good piece of astute business for someone that is a loan deal, okay he is on £55,000 p/w but thinking about the players that never get a game I feel that it's a very good price for an experienced goalscoring international.
    Jermaine Pennant, possibly one of the biggest names that we have seen playing for Stoke in the last 10-15 years along with Carew. He was fantastic in his loan spell and we did some fantastic business by not just getting him in on a permanent deal but by getting him in so cheap, we were quoted £6M by Zaragoza but we managed to get it down to a very good fee. Getting him in is one thing but he needs to be playing, I would rather see him and Etherington out wide than Rory Delap, he should be either played in midfield or where he started off with Southampton at right back. Pennant now isn't playing because Pulis seems to be playing Delap out wide to accomodate Wilson in central midfield and to provide more defensive cover for Andy Wilkinson. That should not be the case though, Pulis said he wanted a partnership to form between Jones and Carew, this is a good thing but only if Pennant and Etherington are whipping crosses and corners in to the box for them to power home. Delap does not give us this weapon and will never do so.

Liverpool on Wednesday though and if we do play with Pennant and Matty we could make it difficult for them.