1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team V Porto

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Proud Fox, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

The Champions League finally comes to Leicester. Kasper Schmeichel should be fit according to Claudio Ranieri but Nampalys Mendy will miss out. Everyone else is fit and available. So here is what I would go with

Schmeichel

Hernandez
    Huth
    Morgan
    Fuchs

Mahrez
    Drinkwater
    Amartey
    Albrighton

Slimani
    Vardy

Subs- Zieler, Simpson, King, Gray, Schlupp, Ulloa, Musa

2. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Schmeichel

Simpson
    Huth
    Morgan
    Fuchs

Mahrez
    Drinkwater
    Amartey
    Gray

Slimani
    Vardy

3. Proud Fox

I think Simpson was shocking at the weekend and all he did was try and foul Rashford everytime.

Hernandez proved against Brugge his long throw could be a big weapon for us in the Champions league

4. HarboroughFox

He wasn't the only one. Morgan has been poor the last couple of games.

5. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

I'd probably stick with the starting lineup from the Man U match and change as necessary, that defence has something to prove.

6. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... you are both right ... we haven't lost games because Mahrez doesn't track back or put up much of a fight ... we have lost games because Christian Fuchs is the only one of our defence who is playing at anything like the same level as last year ... Kasper has had a couple of poor games ... Hull and Liverpool .. and Wes and Danny Simpson have been pants in all the lost games ... with Huth not much better ..

Simpson, Albrighton and even Drinky give the ball away far too much and we haven't got Kante who can immediately nick it back - not that I think he would have made a huge difference against either United or Liverpool tbh ...

I do think that Claudio will sort it out ... but he may need to push some sentiment aside to do so .. I', starting to think about playing 5 across the back? ... perhaps moving Fuchs to play between the centrre halves and pick up the runners that burst between them ... Schlupp as one wing back with possibly Amartey as the other ... Mahrez in the number 10 role with with Drinky and Alrighton as the combative elements ... Vardy and Slimani up front ... Schlupp and Amartey are no slouches and unlike Simpson the ball has some chance of being crossed to one of ours (Schlupp put a great cross into Kingy against United - looked more composed - looked up and put him in for a great chance - King should have done better) ...

Wellernever likes this.
  7. LEICESTER FOSSE

LEICESTER FOSSE Active Member

Our DEF needs a long look at between now and Jan. We need to rebuild it sooner rather than later. We look good (on paper) every where apart from the DEF. Maybe we need to spend a bit of money on it come Jan ?

8. HarboroughFox

I am wondering if Okazaki could do a job in midfield. Full of running and might just be the energy we need in there.

9. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... he's a great technical footballer there is no doubt ... he would have been way too light weight for the EPL in midfield 10 years ago ... but in these days of 'non-contact' football he'd likely be fine <laugh>

10. Proud Fox

Claudio Ranieri has said Kasper Schmeichel has recovered from his injuries and he will decide tonight if he will play or not tomorrow and more bad news regarding Nampalys Mendy is he twisted his ankle in training yesterday

11. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I'd start cautiously and go with:

-------------------------------------------------Schmeichel
    Simpson---------------------------Morgan------------------Huth----------------------------Fuchs
    --------------------------------Amartey---------------------Drinkwater
    Gray----------------------------------------------King----------------------------------------Musa
    ----------------------------------------------------Vardy

Hopefully Drinkwater will keep a more defensive position until we settle in and see what the opposition are like. I'm sure Porto are like many teams and will break quickly and effectively so we might need 2 defensive midfielders to protect the centre of our back 4. Amartey looked lost on Saturday without anyone telling him where to go.

With pace on both wings we might be able to push their fullbacks back. But most importantly, let's keep some decent possession for once.

12. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... Slimani and Mahrez will both start ... if they don't you can all call me Bertha Big Boobs until this time on Wednesday <laugh>

leicester_ed likes this.
  13. BucksFox

I suspect you're right, FF, but fear that might be a mistake, unless he thinks that the first half performance against Man Utd was a one-off. Without Okazaki partnering Vardy and closing down their defense/defensive midfield we looked very vulnerable.

14. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... I'm just recalling the Mahrez / Slimani combo against Bruges ... worked a treat all night ... I suspect Claudio will focus more on that than the abjest first half against United when he could have subbed any of them tbf ....

15. BucksFox

I tell you what, FF/Bertha, I've never looked forward so much to seeing a starting teamsheet. <laugh>

I think Porto will be a far sterner test than Bruges. Whoever plays, a win will be a fantastic achievement.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  16. astro

astro Well-Known Member

17. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

The Leicester City XI: Schmeichel, Hernández, Huth, Morgan (c), Fuchs, Mahrez, Drinkwater, Amartey, Albrighton, Slimani, Vardy.

Subs: Zieler, Musa, King, Schlupp, Simpson, Okazaki, Gray. #LeiFcp

A little bit disappointed that Slimaini is playing now <whistle>

18. BucksFox

Bugger! <laugh>

Let's hope it works.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  19. BuzzardFoxMick

BuzzardFoxMick Well-Known Member

Link for stream totalsportek.com

20. AstroFox

AstroFox Well-Known Member