1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Well basically for me it comes down to whether van Gaal looks at what happens last nights and acts on it or reverts back to picking Januzaj at No.10

If he goes with the midfield three with Herrera as the attacking focal and Schweinsteiger partnering Schneiderlin or Carrick then I think we've got a good chance of winning the game, with Rooney up front and Depay and Mata flanking him.

If he goes back to Januzaj with two DM's we more than likely won't.

In other news, it's my first game of the season. Half way line, in front of the press box with a handful of prawn sarnies and it's all gratis. Happy days.

<ok>

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Hope Rooney has now got his scoring boots on #nojinx

I don't think we should extrapolate too much from that Brugge match. They were extremely poor.

Herrera needs match fitness. He mislaid his passes in dangerous areas. If he does that in the premiership, United will be punished.

It is frightening how Hernandez has regressed. From a striker that had pace and touch, he seemed to have lost total confidence in his ability. Hope I am wrong but he is almost "unpickable".

I would play Morgan and Carrick/Bastian as they definitely give the team solidity in that central midfield. Januzaj introduces unpredictability and can score but he loses the ball too easily. Mata needs to play.

I think it is right to keep De Gea out in the cold. If he doesn't want to play for us, then no point playing him. If Real cough up what we want then thats fine. After the window closes and if he is still with us then I would insist on either he signs a new contract or he can stay in the reserves or the youth team. We will have nothing to lose unless Romero messes up badly.

3. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

What did you guys think of Ashley Young's performance on the right?

I was falling asleep so can't remember it too clearly! But I seem to remember a few dangerous runs and crosses? In the past I always thought he was useless on the right as his crossing seemed way better on the left (and he was more of a goal threat when cutting inside)... But if he did look decent on the right at least it's another option for us, especially as Memphis looks to have left wing sewn up.

4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I'm off to The Liberty on Boxing day to watch the match v WBA how do I get free prawn sarnies?

5. Christiansmith

I didn't think he is as effective on the right as he is on the left.

At the moment I wouldn't start him as well as memphis. For me the team is

Romero
    Darmian Smalling Blind Shaw

Morgan Carrick or Bastian

Mata .... Herrera/Januzaj/Fellaini ..... Memphis

Rooney

I would give fellaini a go. Neither Herrera and januzaj have been 100% effective.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'll be there too fella, we will have to meet for a pint.

It's my annual Christmas piss up with my bro in law who lives in Egypt, whichever home game the Swans have over Christmas we go to and blow a load of cash on the Kempton Christmas meet.
    That said, this year we have the bonus of I've already secured tickets for the United v Swans game at OT so I will be introducing him to the delights of Manchester.

My company had 4 seats at the Liberty so I've got them on Sunday. I don't use them on the Christmas bender match though!

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Really? I think he whipped in a couple of decent balls, one that Hernandez should have buried. I think he's a very useful option off the right and it's his natural side, it dispels this idea we need another winger. We don't, we need a back up striker and someone to push Rooney, as was evidenced by Hernandez's hapless display.

I would also stick with Herrera at AM rather then revert to Fellaini just now.

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I'm in with the away fans but we'll see if we can sort out a beer. <ok>

9. Christiansmith

LVg could start with Herrera and replace him in the 2nd half if things are not going too well with fellaini. Same as Carrick and Bastian covering the same position.

I think the team could do with a bit more pace. There were times in the first few matches that the whole tempo went down to walking pace and that's not good. We definitely need another striker and I can see why we might be interested in Mane.

10. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Good to see a winners matchday thread <ok>

Christiansmith likes this.

11. Christiansmith

Nothing but a winners one will do. Match for match we haven't done better than last season.

United cannot be beaten 3 times in a row by Swansea, can they???

swan_and_only likes this.
  12. HRH Custard VC

Hope not, UTD do look better now

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Too hard to tell. If we score I'll be amazed and happy. That emotional combination doesn't happen very often with me so you should all feel very honoured if a goal goes in. Having said that, this is a top Chief thread so we'll probably win.

14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

You've been getting points but not playing that well, I reckon Swansea will turn you over but not by much.

15. HRH Custard VC

<grr>

luvgonzo likes this.
  16. Stan

Stan Stalker

I agree. 1-0 or 2-1 to Swansea.

17. Christiansmith

may be we should take a draw now. just to avoid 3 consecutive defeats.

But if United are serious about competing for the title then this is a should win.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Swansea are a very good side but really, nothing to fear. Our aspirations are surely to win, not avoid defeat?

Gomis as a striker is gash (he'll no doubt score now) but they do have excellent width, especially in Montero, and Sigurrdson at 10 is a cracking player. That said, we're better, or at least should be.

At the moment the back five picks itself. I would then have the two Sch's at CM with Herrera at AM.

If he does go with this, I would stick my neck out to say maybe Young instead of Mata on the right, to give a bit more pace and directness? If not then it's the usual front three of Depay, Rooney and Mata.

The big dandelion to come on later if we're struggling to score so we can stick it in the mix.

I think we'll win by two goals, 3-1 or 2-0.

swan_and_only likes this.
  19. Stan

Stan Stalker

If Januzaj starts ahead of Herrera then I may choose not to telly clap. A kickabout in the garden with my lad would be a better use of our time.

20. Christiansmith

Our defence so far has been solid (#nojinx). Our midfield has been good too and the the LVG mantra (possession is 100% of the law) has been mostly satisfied. Even creativity is good. It is putting the ball into the net that has been under par so far. We could argue that we had enough chances aginst Newcastle to win but we were unlucky too.

Swansea will test that defence no doubt. I think we need to introduce an element of unpredictability in our game. I can see Fellaini either starting or coming in the 2nd half. Possesssion yes but we need to threaten their goal too.

If we need more threat upfront I would play Wilson (is he still around) with Rooney in the 2nd half. Hernandez is shot completely. I wouldn't be surprised if he got sold or loaned out.