1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v Burnley

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

I dont think he's bent either but I do think he's incompetent which is just as bad.

Taylors view may have been obstructed but he did see a handball and what he had to have seen is a bare forearm connect with the ball. Simple observation would have told him that Volks was the only player in the melee with short sleeves and bare arms. Taylor saw the ball hit Volks arm but ignored the fact that all the Swansea players in the melee were weareing long sleeves. Its such a basic observation that Taylor failed to see so he must have guessed who the arm belonged too.

Its simple a observation, such a basic thing for anyone to see and do. The ball hit a bare forearm so handball but, wait a minute, all the Swansea players have long sleeves so none of them handled the ball.

The fact he blew his whistle means he saw a handball but to give a penalty he had to have been 100% sure it was a Swansea arm that purposefully played for the ball. Taylor made a guess, an incorrect guess, based on his failure to make an elementary observation, Taylor is incompetent

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Over the years I've encountered eye witnesses who see something in a split second and swear to god (literally) they saw x when in fact it's later proved that y happened. People are fallible and that's just our nature. He obviously felt he was certain and gave it. People make mistakes every day.

I don't buy the 'bent' argument for a second and don't really think he was incompetent either. He took a decision thinking he saw something when it was something else and that decision was wrong. It happened very quickly and he had a decision to make right then, right there. I couldn't tell in real time. Show me a person - any person - who never makes mistakes. They don't exist. He isn't the first and won't be the last.

The sooner that video replays are brought in at this level and above the better, possibly at Championship level too. The ref & his assistants are the ONLY people who don't get the benefit of a slow mo replay yet they are the ONLY ones who should as the game progresses. Each team captain or coach should have a challenge each half and it should be limited to incidents such as sendings off & penalties. That's a decent compromise.

aswan_dam and seabreeze like this.
  3. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

Well if he's not sure, surely there's no action to take. The game carries on & he mans up & faces up to any protests that he did not have enough conclusive judgement. You can't just award penalties on a whim ffs...

4. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I don't buy the bent business, but he doesnt half make a lot of mistakes to the detriment of Swansea city

5. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I bet the Burnley dressing room at half time were rolling with laughter at getting the penalty, I'm also sure they couldn't believe they were level at half time, but it was so sweet to know that they were gutted to lose to the late Llorente winner, and the contrast of the final dressing room atmosphere with Dychee blabbing on about the Llorente foul!!!!........... <laugh>

6. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

He was like a big girls blouse, boo ****ing hoo!!!

7. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

What has happened to true sportsmanship Today ? The Burnley payer knew perfectly well what happened and should have made it clear to the ref but he chose to cheat and to me that is what is bent in football. When I was a lad if I could not win fair and square then I did not want to win by cheating. The ref obviously never saw it clear enough to make a decisive call therefore he has to wave on play rather than guess. Video technology is instant these days and the 4th official could very easily relay what happened in real time.....

8. Kifflom!

He probably WAS sure...just wrong. He's human. I doubt it was 'on a whim'.

9. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

He was guilty as charged, hang the bugger I say!!!!!!.............. <laugh>

Kifflom! likes this.
  10. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

It was a push I tell you,but,the ref didnt see it!

Or did he?

:emoticon-0102-bigsm

Taffvalerowdy likes this.

11. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

LLorente pulled into the Top Ten scorers ( 10 ) , while Siggurdsson is tied for 15 in goals( 8 ) and tied for first in assists (11), while Leroy Fer is tied for 27th in goals . Not bad all things considered . Were a minus 14 in Bradley's 11 games and minus 10 in the remaining 16 games , which begs the question ... what if we hired Clement at the time we hired Bradley .

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Stumpy and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  12. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

I'd say we would be looking down rather than up

Stumpy likes this.
  13. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Garth Crooks team of the week.

I'll say no more. :)

_94947924_garthgraphic.jpg

14. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

very astute guy that crooks !

15. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

The biggest change for me is that I'm actually enjoying watching us now and look forward with optimism instead of dread. The positivity is back.
    ......if only we could have started the season this way.

16. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

First time we've had 3 players included?

Stumpy likes this.
  17. Bap666

Bap666 Well-Known Member

The fact that every Swans player was appealing for handball and only Joey Barton remonstrated for Burnley should have made him question his decision. Bottom line if he was sure a Swans player had used his hand then that player should have been carded. The fact that he couldnt identify the player shows that he wasnt sure and if he isnt sure he shouldnt have given it. Handball in the box is at least a yellow.
    The captain should be allowed to get clarification from the ref just like in rugby. If the ref has to justify his decision and clarify who did what that penalty would never have been given. That said and I know this wont be a popular view but, although Llorente did jump high he still shoved the Burnley defender in the back and if it was the other way around we would all have been shouting for the goal to be disallowed.

18. Kifflom!

You're right on Llorente. But your analysis of the ref's pen decision is done in the cold light of day after numerous slow-mo replays. He didn't have that luxury. That said, I'd probably be less forgiving had we not won the game. <laugh>

Bap666 likes this.
  19. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

If both goals were disallowed, we would still have won 2-1 but we'd have nothing to talk about <laugh>

20. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

My mono vision on Lorientes' goal is that he did not foul Mee, the Burnley defender.

Loriente launched himself to head the ball where as Mee jumped to obstruct Loriente. Mee would have got nowhere near the ball even if Loriente wasn't there. Mee simply jumped in a vain attempt to get in Lorientes way and impede his jump for the ball so why can't Loriente stick out an arm to avoid the collision Mee was attempting to instigate. He didn't exactly push Mee off the ball he just stopped Mee from blocking his jump.

Re: Taylor, I still think he's incompetent because irrespective of excuses; speed of the game, number of people in his sight-line, heat of the moment etc. etc. he's not there to make huge, potentially season defining calls based on very poor observation. The mistake he made on Saturday was massive and could have carried any number of serious consequences to us. It didn't but it could have been a nine inch nail in the coffin we're trying to escape from. It was his error and his alone, it was a huge mistake and all mistakes, big or small, are simply incompetent decisions.

I know, one eye view but that's how it saw things Saturday.