1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Surely last chance for JED

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Oct 30, 2016.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Surely a defeat against Brackley in the FA CUP has to see JED finally get his matching orders. I think Gills did ok at Fleetwood but again another defeat. With Gills form awful since Feb when we were sitting pretty in the play offs. He could get sacked before then which most fans would want.

2. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

The Brackley result is not really a clincher one way or another. All the evidence has been there since August when it was written all over the wall that the team was going to be in trouble. The only surprise has been the away wins at Southend and Shrewsbury when freak results occurred. The reality is that the team has played at relegation standard since day 1 (in fact you could argue that the writing on the wall was being written in January).
    So, why is it like it is? Well;
    1 The transfer activity and reliance on loanees has been a joke. To have assembled, for four midfield places, Hessy, Wright, Wagstaff, Knott, Dack, Osadebe, Byrne, Herd and Morris, not to mention O'Hara, Martin and Cargill, is a recipe for trouble. This is not competition for places it is a breeding ground for resentment.
    2 The success of 2015 was built around the pace and drive of our fullbacks (Jackson and Garmston). They tore teams apart and stretched defences to allow Dack and co to do as they wished. The trouble with Jackson and Garmston (as well as some defensive limitations is that they are prone to injury and the decline in their fitness matched precisely the decline in team performances earlier this year . Trying to provide some back up should have been top priority but all we have is Konchesky (past it and at fault with both goals yesterday) and the good centre half but terrible full back that is Oshilaja. The priority for player acquisition has been awful with only Herd and to a lesser extent Knott providing any squad improvement.
    3 The backroom clear out looks like a disaster. JED seems to think staff who have performed at a higher level will bring success but it is League 1 knowledge that brings League 1 success. The loss of Lovell and Hessy looks to be the biggest loss of all, both appearing to be frozen out by JED.

If there was any evidence of JED learning lessons I would support sticking with him but I see no such evidence. The problem is where would we get anyone better who knows this league inside out and can work on a modest budget. Big names will not damn their careers trying to deliver beyond sensible expectations and that will be even more relevant when they look at what has happened to JED. Gills fans did not appreciate just how well they were served by Hessy and Taylor but there is not a hope of getting these two back and Taylor is now the New Zealand coach.

Yesterday was just like the previous three games. Gills were competitive and put the effort in and like the previous games they could have won. But they are not being unlucky, they cannot sustain any attacking pressure, the admirable Cody needs some support and the midfield need to gain ground when in possession rather than pass pointlessly sideways. Despite the impressive performances of the outstanding Herd, I can see Gills continuing to lose 2-1 from late goals. Jackson and Garmston being fit is the biggest single influence that might change things, more so than booting out JED even though he deserves to go.

brb and grumpygit like this.
  3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I agree with a lot of that Bristol, apart from the Garmston bit, Dickenson was playing during our best period at the beginning of the season, and again it was Dickenson during the best run (6 games undefeated) in the later part of the season. We miss his crosses into the box which so far no one seems to have replaced, Garmston would rarely cross the halfway line.

4. gioblues

Agree with bristol that we have too many midfielders who are to similar. Where are the wingers who can change a game. Where are the full backs to cover. We needed loan strikers because we only have Cody.

5. gioblues

Fat eddie murphy being linked(lnce)

6. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I have stuck by JE and I will continue to do so but a loss today probably makes his role untenable. The bizarre comments recently about being fitter than last season despite the fact we come away from every game with at least one injury is alarming. I still want JE to pull it around but it's becoming less and less likely that this will happen. The decision lies with Mr Scally and if he does decide to remove JE, let's hope that he doesn't leave until too late like he did with PT.

7. gioblues

Jed still in job (just). At least he knows now he is under pressure to keep it. Replay still to come.

8. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Here's an excuse JE hasn't used (yet) - our players are 'Gay'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37908505

Let me put this straight - I couldn't care about their sexual orientation - as long as they bend over backwards to give 100% ( for The Gills ) - it wouldn't make me Gay - but hopefully quite happy

9. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The only surprise in that article is that 82% of fans would not have a issue with their club signing a gay player, so that suggests that in 2016 18% of fans still find issue with a persons sexuality, what a sad indictment of society.

10. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Or bend over forwards.......:) Who gives a stuff.... As long as our players put in an honest shift. End of!

11. gioblues

If a player is gay he would get unlimited abuse by opp supporters and if he plays badly will get it from all supporters. Sorry if u dont like it but that would happen. Still get it now even if he is not gay.

12. patchy70

patchy70 Well-Known Member

Like all others on here I couldn't care less what the orientation of the player was as long as they play well for GFC. However I sadly agree with gioblues, I think the abuse they'd receive from keyboard warriers and the opposition would put anyone off admitting they are gay.

13. gioblues

Jed has to go. Another defeat aginst mighty brackley. Only hessy played well. Blame it on injuries jed you normally do. Nothing is going to change whilst you are there. Please Scally get rid now.