1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Sunday 23rd. July 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

And the lasses win the World Cup in front of a full house at Lords. Marvellous.

2. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

Arrogate turned over last night, didnt even know he was running, unplaced in a bad G2 that I didnt even bother to look at the runners for.

His first run since winning a weak Dubai World Cup.

3. As We Know

At least the comparisons to Frankel can stop now but hopefully gets back to his best for rest of the season and the Classic.

Doalittle likes this.
  4. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Which comparisons to Frankel?

Arrogate was not unbeaten - he lost on debut, when he was behind Accelerate.

Try reading the International Racing thread...

5. As We Know

after meydan, people were comparing him to Frankel iirc, asking who is better, Frankel or Arrogate etc as if it was even a question

6. As We Know

7. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Fecking Americans!!! <doh><doh><doh>

8. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

Yep, he was compared to Frankel. The Americans thought he was a superstar in the same vein irrespective of whether he won fto or not.

9. stick

stick Bumper King

Four timer for Bob and a four timer for Olly Murphy. It really is a remarkable start to his training career. Well done to both.

10. As We Know

why is this dog **** on just now? newton abbot, stratford, ****ing market rasen yesterday on right after races from newmarket in the middle of the flat season, no analysis of God Givens listed win because we had to rush over to market rasen for some amatuer malarkey involving winter no hopers

its a complete joke from the buffoons running the sport

get olly murphy and his drugged up mules to **** until such time that I can palate watching mug animals jump fences again, usually some time time in november

11. stick

stick Bumper King

Provided you take Meydan and the Winter Derby and shove them where the sun don't shine!

It was a very workmanlike performance, got to the front some way from home and just kept finding more.

Bostonbob likes this.
  12. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Bloody hell just seen this, well done fella

13. As We Know

at least with Meydan its only 1 meeting and I cant ever remember having to rush away from Cheltenham to watch the AW, Meydan and AW dont interfere with the jumps

the performance is irrelevant, it was a listed race at Newmarket in July, and their wasnt one word after the race, maybe they came back to it after market rasen, obviously I wouldnt know having switched off after they said they were rushing there

14. stick

stick Bumper King

I get what you are saying DK but the bottom line is that racing in this country has has become very disjointed. Summer jump and Winter flat racing on the AW. We don't have seasons as such any more. The industry just provides sufficient fodder for the bookmaking fraternity to turn over its millions.
    They seemed far more interested in previewing future races than what was on offer yesterday.

As We Know likes this.
  15. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

For me winter flat racing is an absolute disgrace. No reason at all for having it apart from bookies need an extra revenue stream. Literally what is the point? With summer jumps at least you can make an argument the point is for horses that appreciate firmer ground to have an opportunity to race (sometimes for fair money). I don't see how that same argument can be made for winter flat meetings.

Common theme through all racing is there's far too much of it so you do get diluted analysis as they flit from one sub standard card to another. Now, you could argue analysis post race is more informed and intrinsically better as a result so you have the option of watching review shows etc.

16. As We Know

summer jumping and winter flat, ie the AW, is for substandard horses, thats the bottom line, jump horses get plenty of decent ground especially at the main festivals but the ones running just now arent good enough during the normal season

I dont care that its going on for the people and animals playing at that level, but it shouldnt be interrupting coverage on a Saturday, as stick says, it just looks like they are a service for the bookies, showing everything that moves so more people bet on it

17. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

I might be on my own here but surely the more racing the better. More races means more horses, means more jobs for riders, trainers, stall handlers, bar staff and so on and so on

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nice one BOB <applause>

Bostonbob and gazboy like this.
  19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Personally, I think any track that can meet safety standards should be allowed to hold meetings and any horse should be allowed to be registered to race. However, I think the tracks and events they hold should be graded and only those of a certain standard should be published nationally with betting allowed. Those below a certain standard should be more akin to fun events attracting, in the main, local or near local competitors. These events would be self funding. Without going into details that would bore the pants off you all, this approach works very well in show jumping and dog showing. I'm sure all sorts of obstacles could be put forward but none that couldn't be overcome. Some higher grade races would be open to horses in the lower grades, giving those the opportunity to be re-graded. But the lower grade tracks would not be able to hold events open to high grade horses (until such time as they are granted the higher status)

So my future vision of horse racing would be tiers of tracks and a range of grades for horses. Only the higher tier tracks and events would be advertised nationally with (subject to above) unlimited local events. I don't believe that lesser abled horses should be restricted from racing, or that anyone genuinely interested in owning and/or riding horses in races should be restricted from doing so. I do think from a punter's viewpoint though that there are far too many races of poor quality that should not be appearing in the national press, nor be bet on, other than maybe at the track. There are lots of PTP races but we don't see these all across the nationals and on oddschecker, but some decent horses emerge from these and, when I last went to one, they have betting on the track.

I probably haven't explained it very well but hopefully enough to get the gist

As We Know and stick like this.
  20. stick

stick Bumper King

Dilution of quality in any sport can surely only mean a devalued product in the long run. This and lack of competition are definitely major problems in my view.
    When you look at the races that are chosen for television on a Saturday it definitely looks like the add ons are to suit the bookmaking population rather than the punter or the racing fan.
    I should of course temper my argument by saying that without the abundance of racing I would certainly never have been able to afford to be an owner under any code.