1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steed ?????????

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by toshchamberlainsmate, Jul 17, 2011.

1. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Copied from Sunderland thread

Steed

Taken from a Fulham blog

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com...que-targetted?

Our continued pursuit of Swiss starlet Pajtim Kasami of Palermo is rumoured to have taken a new turn with Martin Jol making an official offer, following up from an initial enquiry while Steed Malbranque may make a return to SW6.

Kasami is said to be very open to a move to London, broadening his footballing horizons whilst leaving a side where he is currently failing to make an impact. The 19 year old may well be out of the side in Italy, but all parties are still aware of an abundance of talent in the international youngster and Fulham look set to pounce on the opportunity, with Palermo very willing to listen to offers.

Meanwhile, The People are reporting that Jol wants to reunite not only himself, but Fulham, with Sunderland midfielder Steed Malbranque. The Frenchman was something of a fan favourite over the Tigana years and, despite his declining age, our new manager still sees some useful attributes in the former Tottenham man. Any proposed fee should not be high, but Blackburn and QPR provide competition for his signature.

Kasami sounds interesting, but I wouldn't want Malbranque back.

2. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Agreed Tosh. I remember Marlbranque fondly (as I do the era), but I don't think he has much to offer us. We have too many aging midfielders as it is.

3. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

In Malbranque's case, the maxim 'never return from whence you came' would have the rider, 'especially if you did the dirty first time round'. Added to would be the vexed question of current wages.

Sounds like Agent speak linked with Bruce trying to cut his own weekly outlay.

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Unlike many, I don't have a problem with the manner of Malbranque's leaving, but I don't think he's the player he was and therefore isn't what we need right now. I hope a move for him doesn't materialise.

5. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I just don't know where Steed would fit in the team. And l think there are problems with his fitness as for Sunderland he was either on the bench or subbed after 70 mins.

In the present squad I have difficulties in picking both Dembele and Dempsey together in the same line-up, let alone having Steed in the mix.

Do we still have that Head scout that came from Liverpool, wasn't Kasami with Liverpool a few years back ?

6. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Even in his prime I'm not sure Marlbranque would make the starting 11 in this current team. Would you swap Dempsey or Duff him on game day? I like his pace and control, but he wouldn't be an automatic selection for me like he was in the past. The overall quality of our players has risen to such to a level, the only recently-departed player who would get an automatic start (if I were manager) would be McBride, Saha and maybe Van der Saar.

7. Penguin

Penguin Member

I agree with the general feeling about this. Steed was really good for us in his time but I wouldn't say he's shone at Sunderland (evidenced by the fact they're keen to get rid of him) and he isn't as good as any of our current midfield starters (or usual subsitutes, except possibly Greening). I wish him well wherever he ends up but hope it isn't back at the Cottage and have enough faith in Jol to think it won't be.

8. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

Steed is a really good player for us, problems are he cant last 90 minutes, and he hasnt scored in 88 games or something daft like that, but he is great at holding the ball up and keeping it off the other team, to get others into the game in attacking positions.

He is one of those players who i am not sure i want to see go or not.

9. Penguin

Penguin Member

Fair points, Steve. I suppose its the lack of goals which led me to say he hasn't shone although as you say there is more to his game than that. I still don't think we need him as we have so many midfielders. Sounds like you might be better off keeping him for a least one more season for what he brings to your team.