1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Squad for season (or at least until Jan)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Smirnoffpriest, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

We now have the below squad to try and compete on at least two fronts, while trying to get as far as possible in the CL.

Cech > Ospina
    Bellerin > Debuchy > Jenks
    Mustafi > Merts > Holding
    Kos > Gabriel
    Monreal > Gibbs
    Xhaka > Coq
    Santi > Ramsey > Elneny
    Ozil > Iwobi
    Sanchez > Welbeck
    Theo > Oxo
    Giroud > Perez > errr Sanogo?

What do people think? Are people pleased with the make up of the squad, the strength in depth, the balance? And how do you think we'll compete?

Personally I would have liked to have seen us sell Theo and brought in somebody like Henrikh Mkhitarayan to offer a real threat on the flank while keeping Gnarby or Campbell. I'd have also have loved a big name striker signing, but it wasn't to be.

I think we've strengthened well but I feel that United and Chelsea in particular have strengthened much better.

Thoughts?

lazarus20000 likes this.
  2. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

This is the weakness in the squad but overall we did more in the window than I expected so I won't complain

Smirnoffpriest likes this.
  3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Wonder if Wenger has thought of this...

-------------------------Cech-------------------------
    Bellerin------Mustafi----Koscielny-----Monreal
    ------------------------Xhaka--------------------------
    ---------Ramsey-----------------Carzorla----------
    -------------------------Ozil----------------------------
    ----------------Perez----------Sanchez------------

and before anyone says it we wouldn't have an issue with width in the side. Bellerin bombs up and down the right like a wing back and Sanchez will automatically drift out to the left.

4. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Theo and AOC will have a real point to prove this season. Get a feeling they've been coasting (along with a few others) for a while now and that combined with injuries has shown some very erratic performances. Fans aren't so quick to forgive them for being young, English and promising and I think they're aware now so I think (hope) they'll play a bit closer to their potential.

I actually like the combination of Giroud and Perez. Very different players who'll suit different tactics but that's a good thing. Think we'd all like better options but this is still a step forward.

5. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

I still think we could have an issue with width, unless Ramsey and Santi and also Perez and Sanchez get their patnerships absolutely perfect so one is drifting and the other one is 'sticking' centrally all the time.

The other issue (though it is an issue with whoever plays in whatever formation if Giroud isn't playing) is one that of a lack of height upfront - though at least with this one Perez is 5ft 10 apparently, Sanchez is good in the air for a small guy (and the CBs would have two attackers to mark) and Ozil is quite tall.

6. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Its not like we play with old fashion wingers anyway.(in fact nobody does anymore) Sanchez for example is constantly cutting in. Basically we get most of our width from the fullbacks.
    Well this was my main issue with Mustafi. There's no doubt Mustafi/Kocsielny will get owned in the air. At least Holding is a larger defender (and will probably still grow a little more). Xhaka is 6'1 and Perez is 5'11. We will have to see with Perez wether he offers us more than Giroud or not.

7. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

Giroud always seems to be our best defender at set pieces, one thing we definitely miss when he's not in the team

afcftw likes this.