1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Southampton vs Sheffield Wednesday

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by KingslandSFC, Mar 13, 2011.

1. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

please log in to view this image

Date: 19th March 2011 Kick off: 17:20pm

Venue: St Marys's Stadium ( Total Capacity:32,689)
    Radio Coverage:96.1FM BBC RADIO SOLENT & LIVE ON

Kit to be used...

This Saturday Southampton F.C play host to yet another South vs North battle - Yep this time we welcome Sheffield Wednesday F.C & it's supporters to St Marys which I would imagine to be a game full of action. For those who was unaware Sheffield Wednesday are under the management of Gary Megson who has had a vast amount of mangerial experience in Premier League , Championship and also League 1.

Between July and November 2010, Sheffield Wednesday faced a series of winding up orders for unpaid tax and VAT bills.
    Late November 2010, Sheffield Wednesday were given a extra life from a certain -Milan Mandaric who agreed to purchase the club.So I think you will agree its great to see them still able to exist in the Football League.

Who are the Owls?

Sheffield Wednesday are presently the only English Team to share its name with a day in the week ..so cold we see a Eastleigh Thursday F.C or a Sholing Sunday F.C in the near future?
    Sheffield Wednesday since 1899 play their home fixture at Hillsborough Stadium , which holds a capacity 39,812 and holds the title of the highest capacity ground in NPower League 1.Sheffield Wednesday's main rivals are city neighbours Sheffield United. Matches between these two clubs are nicknamed Steel City derbies, so called because of the steel industry the city of Sheffield is famous for. These matches are usually the highlight of the season for both sets of supporters, are always hotly contested affairs and attract large attendances as are our South Coast Derby fixtures.

Wednesdays' Stats

Top Goal Scorer so far: Neil Mellor with a impressive 14 goals so far this season

Mellor battling against Birmingham City in FA CUP (F/T 3-0 to City)​

Most Yellow Card: Giles Coke (8)
    Most Red Card: Jon Otsemobor, former Southampton Player

Did You know: Since 2011 , Sheffield Wednesday have only won 4 Games ( 2x Cup Games , 2 x League Games) Giving a stat of 8 Loses since the turn of the year and also having 4 Draws. Presently sitting 16th in League 1 - 11 Points away from bottom of the League "Green Army" - Plymouth

Bet thats makes you all smile with that stat - certainly makes good reading :)

Southampton however have had some what of a U-Turn after the loss at Walsall and re-ignited their push for promotion after coming away with 3 back to back win and go into this looking for a further 3 POINTS. (To hopefully sit 2nd!!)

Recent victory came against our South Coast Rivals / Neighbours - AFC Bournemouth. Southampton coming away with a 3-1 win after a defiant second half display after conceeding a goal in the first 10 mins to Lauri Dalla Valle. Goals coming from Lee Barnard 5 mins after conceeding followed by 2 second half goals from Captain Dean Hammond and OUR GOAL MACHINE RICKIE LAMBERT!

Rickie Lambert celebrates after scoring a cracker to seal the 3 Points against The Cherries.

COME ON SAINTS FANS LETS MAKE IT NOISY THIS WEEKEND AND GET BEHIND THE LADS!!!

So thoughts on Sheffield Wednesday F.C, Starting XI , F/T Score???

2. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

i think it will be soton 3-1 shef wed

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

2.0 to Saints. I usually go for 3.1 but I don't want to be predictable! Apparently Sheffield Wednesday used to actually play on a Wednesday because another team (United?) played on Saturday. How are the mighty fallen...at the beginning of the season Wednesday were considered a major rival.

4. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

Hopefully Wednesday can help us twice in one week. Maybe they could pull off a draw against P'boro? Please??

On Saturday we cannot underestimate them. They have players that are decent on paper and can cause us problems, so we need to be defensively sound and maybe nick a goal before half time.

I think we can beat them. If we will is a completely different matter. We all know we can win 4-1 on a Saturday and then go and lose 1-0 to Walsall.

Come on saints.

5. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

I expect a tight, passionate encounter, with high intensity. I hope there is a 25,000 minimum turn out, and the Wednesday fans come in numbers, which overall would bring back memores of the Leeds United home game last year. Megson will do his homework, and Mellor will be a major threat, but with Barnatd, Lambert, Lallana and Chamberlain on form I cannot see us drawing a blank. I do hope, however, that the midfield get a tight grip on the game as we not always do so, particularly when in the lead, and the brilliance of certain forwards can save us, as well as relative solidity from Fonte.
    Another thing that must be mentioned, lets hope that we break the Sky curse at last! It is a great chance, with our form and confidence, also considering the issues of our opponents (though they are certainly a threat). The fans better turn up for this rather than watch from at home, lets get those songs going.

6. BUG

BUG Member

Tough game to call imo. With their form and league position we should win but they've got some very decent players and if they turn up on the day it will be very tough.

I think it will be 3-2 to us with Lambert (2) and Chaplow on the scoresheet <ok>

7. Singing Blue 3

Singing Blue 3 Well-Known Member

Beware the Ides of March! In your case beware it is live on SKY !<laugh>

8. Champ Kind: Sports

I back us to win this one, at home against a good team on poor form. But why does one of our very few televised games have to be on at the same time as Ireland vs England in the 6 Nations!?

9. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

More importantly how come England nearly always play in the six nations as Saints are playing?! Southampton has to be the priority, but watching England when recorded on the Virgin box just is not the same. Anyway lets be honest, more people will watch 'Total Wipeout' or whatever is on then Saints vs. Sheff Weds.

10. KingslandSFC

Tell me about it ... I saw the time of the England vs Ireland Game and wasn't impressed. Therefore SAINTS best win cos I am going to miss out on a potential Grand Slam victory! :(

11. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

Much pressure on the lads then! The Sky curse is bad at the best of times. Speaking of the rugby, I would very much appreciate it if Ricky Lambert could model his celebration on Chris Ashton's swallow dive, picking the ball out of the net then diving over the goaline in front of the Northam. However, I expect such a celebration will advance my admiration of the man to unsafe levels. Sorry about the tangent :p

12. RedStripe

RedStripe Member

Cool...........I am not the only egg-chasing Saints fan! Saints 2-0 methinks. (England win too)

13. Champ Kind: Sports

If I really want to complain about sports fixtures clashing, why did no-one think to check that the final day of the 6N, and a televised Saints game, didn't clash with University Ultimate Nationals... (whilst as RedStripe says, it seems there are a few egg-chasers among us, are there any disc-chasers? Bit more unlikely I feel)

14. supersaint

supersaint Member

Theres a reason sheff wed are where they are in the table and despite them having some good players if we want to get 2nd place this game should be straight forward so im goin to go for a 5-1 you heard it here first !!

15. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

Egg chasing?

EGG CHASING??

That's not a dilemma. Not even close.

Last week I had to choose between Southampton v Bournemouth or participating in Gordano Valley Archers annual indoor competition. That's a dilemma!
    I chose archery and shot like a novice. My mind was elsewhere and my clever phone had come second in a face off with a car door (don't ask) so no updates available.
    Round here, rugby is quite big. Well, if you had the choice of City, who are currently getting a lesson from Nardge or Gas (Rovers, to non locals), you'd watch men with odd shaped balls.

So, on to Wednesday. Saturday. Both. 4-0 to Southampton. The Owls are having a 'mare in spite of 2 recent away wins. We are on a roll.
    And I am so glad we didn't get Megson after Pardew went. Few were lower on my list.

This weekend I am not shooting until Sunday so no distractions

COYS

16. KingslandSFC

Egg Chasing = Rugby Fans / 6 Nation Lovers.. for those new to the term

17. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

Was that an explanation to me? Sorry if you thought I was somehow in the dark.

In my house we not only call rugby egg chasing, we also call my other half's sport of badminton leapy-flappy, we call archery "stick and string".

We do sarcasm and cynicism quite well here.

If it wasn't aimed at me, please forgive my sarcasm and cynicism

18. KingslandSFC

No wasn't aimed at you mate, as we have a fair few newbies just helping the convo's flow without any losing the flow of it <laugh>

19. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

3 nil Saints. We should have too much firepower for the Owls,
    I've always used the term 'egg jugglers' - it's just a variation I know, but it sounds like it should be a euphamism for something dirty.
    :rolleyes:

20. angleseysaint

angleseysaint Member

Well I am VERY happy because the WALES match starts at 7.30 so after watching SUPER SAINTS demolish Wednesday I hope to see the French crumble! Ok, one can only hope! Come on Saints!