1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton vs Arsenal FA Cup 4th Round 28/01/2017 KO 5:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Jan 26, 2017.

1. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Ian, agree with all the points apart from I am not sure the FA Cup is the best, particularly for younger fans and indeed the players.

Its all about league position, promotion/safety and Europe.

Round 3 to winning the FA Cup pays just over £3m, whereas each place in the EPL is c. £2m, not incl additional revenue for live games.

As I got older I care less about it also, wish it wasn't so but it's true.

And besides, the FA Cup only has 2 handles. I mean, wtf is that all about <laugh>

#hastobethreetowanttowinit

2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Plus Puel probably compared it to the Coupe De France and wondered what all the fuss was about, best cup in the world :D

3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Billy / Magic

I would have thought that his origins from 1872 would have made it matter. I am still enthusiastic about it and am really glad that two non-league teams have progressed this weekend. Starting to follow the competition in August with Winchester City has only made me realise just how much this competition means. I have read plenty this weekend aboiut the financial implications of the competiton and how foreign coaches and players are likely to see this differently. However, I expect most fans look forward to the draw and hate the prospect of going out to someone deemed inferior. Try telling anyone associated with a non-league / lower league team that it doesn't matter anymore! I know WInchester were grateful for the £8k they got a couple of seasons back.Even a £2k win bonus for the first preliminary round is a bouns at this level let alone the magic that picks in at the 3rd round.

4. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

The only good thing from the game is hoping never to see Isgrove and Martina near the first team again ( I actually thought Martina was one of the best players second half, which goes to show how **** the rest were)

SaintsFan86 likes this.
  5. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

That is all well and good and I'm not disagreeing that it is a great cup for non league clubs for the chance to beat a league team and the financial benefits. But for a mid table Premiership team who are playing 3 games in 6 days after an already hectic amount of games it is not a particularly big priority. Puel picked the team he did as he has more insight into player recovery than any fan does so maybe this was the strongest 11 available that were deemed match fit. The pundits on the Man Utd game were talking about teams rotating players, Liverpool the main focus, and Shearer kept banging on about how it is only 4 more games added on to a season where they don't have European football so he couldn't understand why they wouldn't play their strongest team. Nobody mentioned that it most likely had nothing to do with adding 4 more games, but the fact they they had a Cup semi a few days before (so played strongest team) then a game against the current leaders of the Prem who they really need to beat to have any chance of winning the league a few days after the cup tie.

fatletiss likes this.
  6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Ian, not sure I agree that Reed has regressed under Puel. It seems you're putting some blame at his door. I don't think he was great under Koeman either, and the past three managers clearly haven't rated him as highly as the fans - I'd tend to side with their perspective on that.

7. Ian Thumwood

You are correct insofar that Harrison Reed was highly rated by the supporters when he first arrived on the scene. It struck me as odd that he never seemed to progress under Koeman and never seemed to feature. I always felt he was an aggressive , defensive midfielder who got stuck in but the last few games I have seen him play seem to totally lack that kind of quality. Someone recently stated that his role if different under Puel (it might have been Merrington) but he seemed to have no input in to the game yesterday. The same could be said of Clasie and especially Isgrove but Reed always struck me as having a lot of potential and I don't think he is likely to be anything other than a fringe player at this level. JWP has seemed to take an age to develop and , at one point, I would have argued that Reed was the better prospect. JWP's recent performances for Saints seem to demonstrate that the potential is being reached and I think he has now far outstripped Reed in what he can offer.

8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Do you not think that as you were somewhat premature in writing JWP off, the same might also be true of Harry Reed?

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I personally think Clasie is a better version of Reed.

Libby likes this.
  10. Ian Thumwood

To be honest, I hope so. Reed seems to have a different function in Puel's team than when he originally materialised. Of there is a criticism of the current Saints squad depth -wise, it is that there are too many "average" midfield players. I would like to have felt that Reed was one for the future who might have increased the quality. From what I have seen of his last two games, it is almost like he is a different person. Hopefully he will get more game time to demonstrate his abilities but of the current crop given a run out, it is McQueen and Simms who look most likely to progress in to the first team. As I said earlier, there is a lot to like about Simms.

11. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I feel Reed suits playing a fairly aggressive 4-2-3-1 as the third press or the fourth in a very high pressing team and that's about it. He can't affect a game with low tempo or one where the team gives up territory as he is too easy played around. And he doesn't have enough to play in a balanced midfield. He doesn't excel in any aspect enough to overcome his physical shortcomings and doesn't particularly show great technical potential like JWP for example. I reckon mental advancements are about his shot, he's gotta read the game very well. So in a way he's kinda **** out of luck. I don't think he's a bad player to have in the squad but for him I think the road forwards is elsewhere.

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I heard Claude wished you treat him with a bit more respect.

I just can't understand how a Southampton fan can not appear for four days after we've reached a cup final and then reappear the moment our reserve side lose to Arsenal's half reserve side.

Yours

A Puel Apologist.

13. fatletiss

People = Me

Say it how it is for crying out loud.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

No actually I thought I'd seen a couple of people say that.

Even if not, bit rich coming from you ffs <doh>

You're constantly making sweeping insults to people you won't name. I even called you out on it which, funnily enough you didn't respond too...

So don't try take the ****ing moral high ground with me pal <ok>

15. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

I think this year sadly it shows just how us how much we like Reed will never be a prem player, well not now or soon! We need to ship a few out.. Cuco, Gardos, Reed Isgrove all need to leave.

16. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Reed is still highly regarded (new long-term contract just signed!) and learning a new role, there's no way he's leaving. Harsh on Gardos as well, got to give him the chance to get back to full fitness before making a judgement.

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Very pleased to see Gardos back on the pitch for the first team....he has had a run out in the U23s. It's been a long road for him....and far, far too early to judge him....especially in a game like that.

fatletiss likes this.
  18. fatletiss

For the record, I mostly quote people when I call them out. As I did with that post.

Last sentence sounded a bit aggressive. Easy.

19. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Yeah to be fair I said that a couple times as well.

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not aggressive mate, just think you're taking the piss a bit saying that when it's something you do constantly.

Pot, kettle and all that.

Yes you quoted me but didn't bother to address the point... plus the times I'm on about you don't quote people you just post calling people 'pathetic' or 'idiots' without naming them or giving them a chance to defend themselves.

Again, I pulled you up on this not too long ago and you chose to ignore it... so you'll have to excuse me at getting my back up when an accusation is made from a person who is one of the worst culprits <ok>

berlinersaint likes this.