1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Slimani & Vardy

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Wellernever, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Wellernever

Wellernever Well-Known Member

Early days I know but most of the time at the moment they are playing too far apart from each other.

2. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

I prefere Okazaki and Vardy and then what a sub Slimani is to bring on

3. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Unless you want to drop Vardy and play Mahrez in his place I'm not sure what you mean - one is a right winger and the other is a striker.

4. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Huh? Vardy and slimani?

5. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I didn't understood that one either.

Slimani has been unconvincing so far for me. I know he's scored a couple of goals, but I don't know what his style of play is that made him worth £29 million. He's a big guy so presumably useful in the air and should be able to hold the ball up. He doesn't strike me as a worker or one to run the channels. Maybe he looked good playing in Portugal where there are only a couple of other decent teams and the pace isn't frenetic. What does he offer over Ulloa?

6. Wellernever

?????

7. Wellernever

I mean that they are too far apart or not close enough together to link up with each other - flick ons, one twos etc

8. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Wow? ... personally I think he has been great .. the Mahrez-Vardy-Slimani connect has given us two 1-0 wins in the CL ... Slimani was also unlucky to have a goal ruled out against Copenhagen ... the TV replays showed he was level ... and he was too much for the Bruges defence to handle on his debut ... I also think he puts in a hell of a shift in closing down opponents ... we all see things differently of course ...

... very early days to judge our new 'super 3' as a combination mind ...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Forfoxsake and LeicesterWizard like this.
  9. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I swear I read Mahrez and Slimani when I wrote that...

Apologies Wellernever - you bring up a good point as we don't seem to be playing 4-4-2 anymore but 4-4-1-1.

It does mean that with teams dropping back to negate space for Vardy, there is a lot of space in midfield but we cannot exploit that - we need Okazaki running around like a nutter as we don't have Kante doing that imho.

10. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

It wasn't really a criticism of Slimani, more of a question. I don't get to see games except on Sky, and I don't recall seeing him chasing down defenders. In fact when he came on against Chelsea he had to be cajoled from the touchline to pressurise defenders when they had possession. In CL games we seem to have a whole different mindset at the moment. After the clear the air talks last weekend maybe we might see a change in our approach against Palace. We certainly need the win.

11. MIAMI_FOX

MIAMI_FOX Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Slimani... Not a worker??? You must be kidding.... He's everywhere chasing everything. I'm seeing a different player to you... I've been really impressed with him. Why is it we always expect new signings regardless of their fee to be world beaters straight away. They need time to adapt to english football. He is going to be a great player for us I've no doubt

LeicesterWizard likes this.
  12. Forfoxsake

Forfoxsake Member

I dont think the system has changed too much just the style of players. I would have said we played 4-4-1-1 last season with Okazaki behind Vardy. This season the main partnership of Vardy Slimani has split the movement up front. But as for comments over Slimanis worth to the team, i think we will see a lot more from him by the end of the season. Think he's worth every penny in todays market. Harrasses defenders for every ball. With some easier games on the schedule i think the partnership will take off. Only my oppinion mind.

LeicesterWizard likes this.