1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

slight concern

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

while i am 100% behind buckle, im not sure on the new signings and the players we are linked with. although they should all be able to do a pretty decent job in league 2, in my opinion we should be aiming to get players who can easily play in league 1 so if we go up 1st time asking, we have players who can do a good job. seems like we are building a strong league 2 side which is great for this coming season but could they do the job in league 1?

2. EXETER GAS

EXETER GAS New Member

<ok>I was thinking the very same thing...but lets keep the faith

3. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I suppose it's let's get out of the basement first. The 2010/11 squad would have probably struggled in L2,
    so significant changes are needed. I agree that the CVs of those signed so far inspire confidence for L2 progress but
    leave doubts for L1 success.
    Perhaps next season will bring success in the league and cups and firm news of a new stradium, thereby generating loads of dosh to
    attract and pay even better players!! :)

4. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Going by what normally happens, when you say something the opposite happens.

So you should walk leagues 2 and 1.

(I wouldn't hold your breath though)

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<laugh><ok>

6. Rhinestone Gashead

You only have to look at teams who have gone all the way from basement to the Premiership - a few of the players have made it with those teams. Whose to say the players we are signing won't or can't make it at Div 1 level? Especially with the right management team? Lets see what they are cabable of in Div 2 before we even start to think of promotion etc - for once the optomism I feel seems to be validated - especially with todays announcement of the new stadium plans. Skys are blue today my gashead friends!!!

7. banksyisourhero

You tell him Rhinestone!

Sparrow needs to get behind his team a bit and stop moaning and hiding away when its not going right for a change.

bwaaaaaaaaah!!!!

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

banksy, you get it wrong alllllllll the time <doh> i am backing buckle and will 100%. same as the players he will bring in. i think we could of got a better manager seeing who was available. he is a good manager and has proved that already in league 2. as stated many times his players he has brought in will make a strong league 2 team. get over yourself you silly little girl <smooch>

rhinestone, this part of your comment "You only have to look at teams who have gone all the way from basement to the Premiership - a few of the players have made it with those teams" - its very rare for that to happen. buckle is building so far a strong team for league 2. its nice seeing fans from other clubs in league 2 saying we will walk league 2 next season. i personally will be happy with a top 7 spot. but confidence is growing. i dont know if these players will make it in league 1 if or when we get there, but my opinion as the title of this thread suggests, i have a slight concern about them.

9. banksyisourhero

No you're rubbish

nahhhhhhh!!!!

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

11. banksyisourhero

You also have a very strong fetish for gender reassignment and quite obviously need to see someone about your propensity to reverse gender roles in your life.

I bet your missus is strapping it on for you now as we speak!

Theres a good girl.

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

aw bless your little cotton socks <laugh>

please log in to view this image

13. thephatone

thephatone Member

Lee Jhonson, Nicky Hunt possible transfer targets for you guys?? (please)

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

in all seriousness, i would take lee johnson from you. he been used as the scapegoat in your time in the championship. he could do very well in league 1. but league 2 would be a good coup for us. hunt you can keep.

15. banksyisourhero

"he been used as the escape goat"

:emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

Well done delboy.

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

17. Triggs1980

Triggs1980 Member

The players we had last season were supposed to be good enough for us to challenge for the league, but as we've seen with Blackpool, sometimes it's the sum of all parts that makes for a successful team rather than 11 strangers that just didn't click right last term.

I'm just keeping tabs on the whole will cambs stay shenanighans. Been a great servent and would have happily had him as manager had we stayed up, but can understand how he may have issues going from running the show to doing as he's told, get the impression Buckles not one for nonsense . . . but then would we really want a divided dressing room . . . the less nonsense the better in theory . . . hopefully he can slip back into player mode.

I also think we have to be realistic, relegation is a financial catastrophe and what with us now having 4 managers on the payroll the money's been frittered away and we can't naturally compete for the higher league players as their wages are simply out of touch.

That said, we have a young, ambitious and successful manager with a winning mentality and a club associated with attractive attacking football (well, at least when we're not looking behind us that is), so we have some desirability.

In reality we need a lot of depth so we'll probably try to forge a strong L2 side and hope that we can top it off with1 or 2 league one signings and a couple of reserve loans from upper league one lower championship teams.

18. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As regards Campbell I'm wondering about the Youth Team coach position now that Patterson has gone. It could be ideal for him. He's got coaching badges and Steve Eyre, just appointed at Rochdale having been youth coach @ Man. City, has shown that it can be a route to management. He could still be club captain; not playing every match but valuable on the bench...........just a thought.