1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sky Sports 20 best Championship players

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Delusional Full Stop, May 3, 2017.

1. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

"GOALKEEPERS

Ali Al-Habsi (Reading) – 7.02

Daniel Bentley (Brentford) – 6.87

Karl Darlow (Newcastle) – 6.85

(Sky Sports write up, obviously not realising that Rafa has now dropped Karl Darlow for the last two matches..

‘When Newcastle signed Matz Sels in the summer it seemed that Darlow would be second choice and while that was the case early in the campaign, the 26-year old is very much the club’s number one. With 13 clean sheets in 34 appearances, it seems unlikely that the club will be in for another keeper this summer.‘)

Chris Maxwell (Preston) – 6.82

Rob Green (Leeds) – 6.78

DEFENDERS

Lewis Dunk (Brighton) – 7.61

Pontus Jansson (Leeds) – 7.57

Shane Duffy (Brighton) – 7.56

Marc Roberts (Barnsley) – 7.54

Tom Clarke (Preston) – 7.47

MIDFIELDERS

Anthony Knockaert (Brighton) – 7.61

Tom Cairney (Fulham) – 7.38

Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa) – 7.35

Mile Jedinak (Aston Villa) – 7.30

Massimo Luongo (QPR) – 7.29

FORWARDS

Yann Kermorgant (Reading) – 7.41

Tom Lawrence (Ipswich) – 7.17

Fernando Forestieri (Sheffield Wednesday) – 7.14

Jonathan Kodjia (Aston Villa) – 7.14

Sone Aluko (Fulham) – 7.11

The ratings (out of 10) published below by Sky Sports, are generated by ‘whoscored.com’ and as well as Sky Sports, this system (ratings) is used by numerous sections of the football industry; including media, bookmakers and clubs themselves.

Every match in all the major European Leagues is automatically analysed by whoscored.com, with over 200 raw statistics used to calculate each player’s ratings and are weighted according to influence in the game – taking into account the area of the pitch and its outcome for each important event."

All I can say is lies, damned lies and statistics. For anyone wanting to rely on stats in a footballl argument then this is the perfect response.

Credit to the Mag.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  2. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

So high flying Villa have 3 players in the top 20?

Rest of the squad must be absolutely useless then.

3. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

lolz, so neither of the teams that are going to finish in the top 2 have a forward in there, and none of the top 4 goal scorers in the league make the forwards list either!

And despite them having a **** season, Villa have got 3 players in there, while apparently the only player worth of inclusion from us is our dodgy keeper.

This reminds me of when Allardyce was managing us, and after an initial good start it all went tits up and every team we played were pummelling us, Allardyce's response in every interview after we got thrashed was to dredge up some horrendously convolted statistic that could be mangled into an argument that he was actually doing a good job.

4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Its great this. Stats are all well and good but they are not the basis for how you pick a team.

You get these people who say "but have you seen Moneyball!!!" Moneyball is a great film, no doubt it was a great story. Baseball has a lot less variables than football. Stats are undoubtedly useful, and worth gathering. It can help a coaching team to identify areas you can improve. It will never ever replace what you see with your own eyes.

We've become obsessed. You still need a great motivator, psychologist like Conte. You still need to have a feel for what makes a good player.

5. Obi Wan

Exactly!

I would just like to say for the record that trev is best headline writer. <applause>

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
    JakartaToon and Warmir Pouchov like this.
  6. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

problem with these stats are that you get a high score for simple things like if your passing % is high. If Colback had played all season, he would be number 1, however I would rather see Shelvey try and knock 4 defence splitting passes over 100 Colback side passes.

I'd rather see Ritchie play then any of the players on that list. Problem with Ritchie is he does get dispossessed and he does try riskier passes and crosses and Risky isn't good when looking at stats.

I don't care what these stats say because if you offered any team in the championship and probably half the teams in the PL the chance to have Darlow, Ritchie, Yedlin, Hayden Lascelles, Clark, Shelvey and Gayle, the majority of them would snap your hands off

7. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

Just shows you stats can mean jack sh*t.

This...."and are weighted according to influence in the game – taking into account the area of the pitch and its outcome for each important event."......

Is the reason why so few of our players where included because as a collective unit they played well and not just a few individuals.

8. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

I know I've been a cheat and a **** but I am very sorry and I promise to change my ways.

Obi Wan likes this.
  9. Obi Wan

Boo. Fascist Mods editing posts for their own benefit. It's a breach of human rights. We should rise up against this oppression.

10. Obi Wan

We have a far superior goal difference so how can they NOT calculate our players have had an influence? It's a joke of a system.

11. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was 20 best players who will be in the Championship *next* season?

Obi Wan likes this.
  12. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have you seen the League 1 top 20. They have selected the entire SunderlandNil squad. Just a pity they were playing in the Premiership.

13. Obi Wan

Good for you Trev. <ok>

14. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Boo. Fascist Ex Mods editing posts for their own benefit. It's a breach of human rights. We should rise up against this oppression

Warmir Pouchov and Obi Wan like this.