1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield Wednesday v Sunderland 16th August - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Aug 17, 2017.
  1. Home win

11.8%
  2. Away win

41.2%
  3. Draw

47.1%
  1. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the Leeds game.

Get a few bev's in me and I'll be right looking forward to it.

Leeds will bring a few as well so hopefully be a belting atmosphere.

LAMackem and Nads like this.
  2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Leeds likely bring close to 4,000, be a cracking atmosphere I'd imagine.

Can't wait for it.

3. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Just needs one goal

4. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Just watched the highlights on SS and looks like we had some really good chances to be more than one up.

Need to see it again from some other angles but think our Keeper could do better for the goal. Was a good hit from the lad for sure but certainly didn't look like it went in the corner by any stretch.

Really positive overall though, still happy with the point.

5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  6. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Extra days rest showed for them I think.

3 league games in and we haven't played on the same day as most of the league yet.

Hope this changes sharp.

7. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

He did this a lot, his attitude stank from day one imo.

Brian Storm likes this.
  8. clockstander

If its true that we looked tired second half, why not use the subs earlier, we have a decent enough bench. Some of our senior players hardly got a mention in the second half commentary.

9. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

We had a month less to prepare cause of our managerial hold up. So we're behind teams still in fitness. They'll be right. It will toughen them up all this hitting competitive games when we're not quite there. Conditioning. More worried about three games in a week of sleet, mid season.

clockstander likes this.
  10. clockstander

Good point, but I would have thought spreading the load around would be a way of getting a few of the bench warmers up to standard, at the same time as keeping the starting line up fresh for the next game, overall though and against all odds, he has worked wonders so far, has our Simon. <ok>

Brian Storm likes this.

11. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

It's a balancing act init. We need to gel a core together at the same time. I'm not worried about us tiring. They'll push through this and it will serve them well for the endurance of the season. To those not getting a game, Grayson appears to be making use of the under 23s to get them game time.

clockstander likes this.
  12. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Just arrived home after the match and haven't had time to read the thread.

I just wanted to say that the support last night was top class, Grayson seems to be putting the club back together.

13. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Would have went if I could have got the night off, but nigh on impossible for me with so many taking their annual leave at the moment..

14. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

Should of put sheff wed to bed in the first half. Second half look tired so should of put our subs on faster. Anyway happy with the point.

15. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

First 15 minutes, I was knackered just watching them!! Pressing high, flooding forward when in possession... totally unrecognisable from previous tactics. With a couple of additions a play off place is easily within our grasp.
    Support WAS superb, my lad has got the 'away-day' bug now tho £££££££

Smug in Boots and BIG BAZ like this.
  16. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

Spot on pal. The work rate is unbelievable compare to last season. If we sign a forward, winger and a defender we should easy get the play offs.

Home_and_Away likes this.
  17. Smug in Boots

Very true mate <laugh>

We came out of the ground sweating and out of breath with the game and all the singing & Jumping around.

A far cry from last season, that's for sure.

I'm away from now until the end of September so I can't get to any more games 'til October .... I was thinking of cancelling the holiday ;)

MrRAWhite and Home_and_Away like this.
  18. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

19. Smug in Boots

We're bloody good supporters and no one can argue ..... sang the Owls to a standstill last night.

20. Smug in Boots

OK, rested up now after a 2 day trip to the match. But before I mention the match I just want to say a word for all the exiles who go and, please, don't take this the wrong way. I have a blunt, but decent, way of speaking that doesn't always come across the way I'd like on this forum.

I was at Norwich and met up with a Sunderland mad lad who was born in Norwich to a Sunderland dad and his mate who left Hartlepool 20 years ago, both in Sunderland shirts. There was a couple of my mates from Sussex, a bunch of lads who live in various parts of London and the son of a lad who lives in Devon ..... if any of you know him he's Dr Dave Ashfield from Seaburn and has lived all over the world including Hong Kong and Australia. I've never lived anywhere near Sunderland since I was 8 years old and most of my mates are from the East Midlands pit villages.

Last night I met up with a great lad from Kent who goes to virtually every game and was there with his flag, as usual, and he was having to stay in the Metropole Hotel because his last train left too late. My son was born in Mansfield and goes to every game he can.

The point of all this is to remind people that not everyone lives on Bridge Street and can just toddle down to the game.
    Some of us always have a 2 day trip, for every home game, and a day out for away games. We can't just jump on a nice comfy coach, outside the SOL, for away games. And there are thousands of us, as we went back to Mansfield last night there were loads of cars, with Sunderland colours, going south.

This isn't a boast, just a reminder that people should be a little more tolerant when the crowd isn't as big as they think it should be.

The NE industry has been decimated, over decades, and people have had to leave the area to find work to support their families.

If they can't make every game it doesn't mean they're any less supporters than those who live in the town.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017