1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season finale, Derby

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, May 5, 2016.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Not totally disagreeing SD.....but you must have a yardstick to count progress ..and for me league position is as good as any....like I said for me MM should go for failure to improve on last season......but that said I will not look to slate every move he makes if he stays as I find that boring...............and for the record I think he will stay.

2. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

If we had kept players fit that we had at the start of the season, plus McG and Bish and finished 7th, I'd agree but injuries and key players not coming back until it was too late makes me sympathetic. Last seasons (kind of) success on a shoestring budget made the club feel we could replicate that again but it wasn't to be and in my opinion the main reason for all the frustration, not to mention lack of decent entertaining football.
    If there is some investment next season and no real improvement in style and position then it'll be time for a change.

San Diego and itfcptc like this.
  3. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Sub standard players brought in has been a problem and sorry but that is down to MM, you need decent backup in case you get injuries and the likes of Coke and Toure are not even good Sunday league players. All clubs have injuries Castro, not just us!
    Micks tactics cost us, Micks lack of half decent signings cost us, so basically he has to go imo

4. Spanish

Problem is, next season will be another season wasted, no Mick won't walk and no other team will come in for him, nobody out there that desperate!
    The only way to get rid of McCarfy is for the fans to make a stand but that ain't gonna happen either, too many out there settle for sub standard football and back the team however poor the football is, even if it is to the detriment of the club!

5. Spanish

For people to say 'they think MM should go but it ain't gonna happen so I will still support the team' is bloody daft imo! If you can't see any success coming, surely the best thing to do is to try and make sure the owners hand is forced and this is not done by continuing to support the team whatever!
    Yes you are still Ipswich thru and thru but don't bury your head in the sand. For me, these last two victories were a bad thing, it's got people expectant again but we all know Mick will revert to type once the new season starts and once again you will be watching defensive hoofball.

6. Spanish

Still I have never liked MM and never will, so I guess I am gonna want him out. Think I am still in the minority but just can't see anything changing next season, he will still play chambers rb, he will still play two defensive cm's and he will still waste Sears out wide.

7. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

What are 'you' actually doing to force the owners hand?

I've said I think MM should go for failure to improve on last season.....but if he doesn't that is out of my hands and no amount of moaning/sulking on my part will change it, I don't go to enough games to be able to hit the club in the pocket, but most importantly I don't particularly enjoy being negative and grumpy all the time and will always support the team and want them to win.....

8. Spanish

I can't do anything other than to not renew my player subs, which I am not doing, I was talking about fans in general weighty, not you, talk about complex<laugh> although living in the UK, your support is not very good!
    Not grumpy at all, actually find it quite funny how people still think MM is the man!

9. Spanish

Still, look on the brightside, we may just sign Henry from QPR<laugh><laugh><laugh>
    Talk about typical boring, defensive, McCarthy player!
    If he is given money, expect it to be spunked on this type of player. I would rather he wasn't given money and it saved for whoever eventually takes over.

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

How is my support not very good because I live in the UK?

11. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

I was enquiring what you want general fans to be doing...you keep calling for fans to act while you just sit and winge....

12. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

And if we'd finished 13th or 10th or something I would agree that league position is something to measure progress on. When you've finished 6th or higher though I think it's a tad naive to only consider the following season's final position as a measure of the club moving forward. Everybody knows how difficult it is to finish in the play offs year after year, the league changes so much depending on the teams coming down/up.

itfcptc likes this.
  13. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

So we finished in 7th place which I think is a reasonable position considering our extensive injury problems, but do we think that if Fraser, Bishop, McG and Hyam all of whom hardly played at all and losing Bru and Murphy for about 5 months between them seriously affected our points total? Do we think we could have gained 6 more points if we could've had more first choice players fit to play over the course of the season?

14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, I definitely think that having those players available all season would've brought at least 6 more points to our total.

15. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

It's a difficult one because both the positive and negative opinions have a good point. On the one hand Mick's had no investment but managed to keep us competitive and in the top half of the table all season, finishing higher than other teams who maybe play a more attractive style of football than us and let's face it, the top 6 are all better than us. On the other hand, it's been painful to watch our beloved team have to scrap in most games and knowing we are going to face yet another season in this league without much sign of anything changing.

16. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

" Not grumpy at all, actually find it quite funny how people still think MM is the man! "

Well you've been consistent in wanting Mick out and the other side of the coin is I've been quite consistent in supporting him. I guess that's one thing we have in common Spanish. 6th then 7th is hardly ridiculous when we look at the sides ahead of us both season and how much they spent. The brand of footy we played isn't to my liking however results haven't been terrible considering resources given.

Very pleased the line up was changed around tomorrow, pleased to see a few of the kids making their debut last few games when sadly the season had run it's course.

I very much liked the looks of that line up vs Derby, lets see if Mick WILL pick more of these lads and have faith from the start of the season, or if he's going to revert to type a little more.

Bru not in the 18 vs Derby ( I cannot say I'm bothered he's not good enough in a 4-4-2 ) so does that suggest his future could lie elsewhere? Douglas is now 33, so he's surely going to not line up every sodding week next year. Hyam is always a good squad player, you need fillers who aren't hassle and are reasonable players.

Interested as to the RB problem that Mick has created - will he actually do something pro active next season?

Will Mick get backed more this summer?

Are Bishop and McGoldrick capable of staying fit for a season!?

All questions that will be answered. For what it's worth I think we'll be top 6 next season, play slightly better footy, and have 2 or 3 more than decent additions to supplement the squad we have. I don't feel we're a million miles away.

17. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

If he has money he'll waste it? Well he might but he hasn't yet been given the opportunity!?

Mick does at times like flair players - Bishop / McGoldrick / Williams / Fraser spring to mind. Tried to sign Knockaert too!

Spanish you supported Keane and he poured millions down the toilet. In a nut shell that's why I often disregard your opinion of Mick when you honestly thought one of the worst managers we've ever had is better. Ludicrous.

Though you're certainly not in the minority Spanish. Many want him out! It's 50.50 the support / wanting out I'd say. That's fair surely?

18. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

<laugh>
    It is a little harsh SD which is why I understand why MM will still be with us......and as I've said I will still support the team and Mick...but I do think he has a bit to do to turn the tide.........I think MM has been very good for the club as a whole but the first team is were he is judged.

And the fact that Spanish hates him is a major bonus for keeping him....<laugh>

19. Spanish

I will get my day, that is 100% guaranteed!

20. Spanish

See this is where you talk **** westy, absolute garbage as I said that fans were even saying that MM is worse than Keane and that I though the style of football being played by MM was worse, as in more boring, than that of Keane. That does not mean I think Keane is a better manager, as in results, man management etc.
    I can't take your opinion seriously either as you continue to back a manager that gets our team playing the most boring football in all four divisions, it's a disgrace and other clubs call us dull, boring etc. How embarrassing is that when once upon a time we were well liked by other clubs supporters!