1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Score prediction BCFC v plymouth

Discussion in 'Bradford' started by bantam6, Dec 5, 2011.

1. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

...at the time the ball leaves the the previous player - not when received (apparently) didn't know the ball came into it as well though (cough)

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Erm!!!!!!!! 7/10 for effort. 6/10 for presentation including the smiley thing. 4/10 for content.

Please explain a "route 1" goal to me in relation to where the ball starts and where the receiving player is situated. Any by the way I couldn't give an explanation of the offside rule to save my life in these days of not being offiside if you are "passive" in the previous play. As old Brian Clough or somebody of his ilk once said "If you aren't interfering with play then why are you on the F***king pitch".

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Only if he gets involved in play or gets flagged for obstruction..............from what I see on the telly...............thats why offside can seem to be delayed at times until that player touches the ball.

sensible......DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU HAVE STARTED............THIS COULD GO ON FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

4. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

This is the point where it becomes all too complicated for me. I have in the past openly admitted I only understand offside if it is obvious, I don't care if I'm laughed at - it's a fact.

5. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Okay Sensible mark this one .....

Basically, a player is offside if:

He is in the opponents half of the pitch
    He is in front of the ball
    The ball is last touched by another player on his team
    There are less than two opposing players (can include the goalkeeper) who are level with him or in advance of him on the pitch, and
    He receives a pass or interferes with play.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nah! That's even worse only 3/10 now.

How about "The player has less than 2 opposing players between him and the goal and in advance of the ball when it is played by one of his team mates and either receives it or is deemed to be interfering with play" . Also plymborn he does not have to touch the ball but move towards it and deemed to have an intention to play it. Obstruction is a foul and not an offside.

Any advances on that?

7. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

A player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponents’ goal-line than the ball and the second last opponent (usually the last defender), unless he is in his own half. If the attacker is level, he is onside.
    Most people also realise that a player cannot be offside from a goal kick, a throw-in or a corner, so now all we need to do is define when the offside position becomes an offence:
    It is when, in the referee’s opinion, at the moment the ball is played or touches one of his team, a player is either interfering with play or an opponent, or gaining an advantage by being in that position.
    The interpretation of those three points led to misunderstanding and inconsistent application and so the International FA Board made decisions which defined those criteria. They decreed that:
    Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.
    Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.
    Gaining an advantage by being in that position means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a goal-post or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing the ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.
    So, unless a player touches the ball he is not interfering with play. It’s that simple and whether referees or assistants agree with that definition is irrelevant, they have to apply the law.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!! Who has been looking up the rule book then? Actually I understood your first effort but just thought I'd wind you up a little.<whistle>

9. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Its not until you start thinking about the offside rule you realise why so many officials get it wrong lol

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I posted earlier that one famous football person who I can't quite remember but it may have been Clough said "If you are on the pitch then you are interfering with play". Life was so simple then wasn't it without passive players or second phases. It's the level bit that gets me most. Which bit has to be seen to be level? Your feet,knees, arse,nose?????? Old trigger would have been a belly in front of most.

11. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Those were the days though .... Trigger, Friio to name but two

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Easy answer............do away with being offside all together..........be the same for both sides.............wasn't that the way it was played once ?

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I bow to your greater age and therefore knowledge of life in the Middle Ages plymborn.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Body armour in those days...........not just shin pads.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No wonder old footballers have dodgy knees lugging all that weight about then plymborn.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

No No sensible..............they'd be on their horse...............and that lance could sort a few centre forewards out..............plus a shove in the face from a shield..............good job there were no red cards in those days.

17. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

...utter nutters <whistle>

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You and I are just too young to remember Mrs lalala unlike plymborn who was there.