1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saudi Arabia football team fail to line up for minute's silence in honour of London terror attack

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Don't believe the not supporting Daesh sorry

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

You should post more often.

3. huwliet

huwliet Member

You don't have too Beefy but my info on this is stronger, I would suggest, than yours about SFC, which is always appreciated and informative. In fact I only got back from the region to see Southampton lose to stoke on the final day, a wonderful return to my time away...

Beef likes this.
  4. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

IMO, there is no scarier threat long-term than the internal stability of Saudi Arabia. At some point, the only thing holding that country together -- oil money -- won't be there or the throne will be held by someone unable to keep the various factions of the House of Saud together, and suddenly the would will have an obscenely wealthy problem on its hands.

5. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Its sad for the `normal`people that live in these countries and are only trying to put food on the table, but the west must never again send troops into these countries. send aid fine, but not combatants as they will be looked upon as invaders. The situation in Yemen is horrible, but with so many factions its impossible to support one side

6. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Two of the dead were Australians, that would not make it perfectly reasonable to have a minutes silence

7. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I will be honest, I don't give them a moment's thought until I see it on the TV.

8. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I have always said, that if Kuwait was the largest exporter of carrots, and Saddam had invaded, we would not be in the slightest bit interested. Unless you were a Rabbit breeder.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I friend of mine keeps a very close eye on new age energy technologies, and he keeps me fairly well informed. We are most assuredly slowly moving into a post-oil world economy. I do have a bit of a fear of the stability in the middle east when the region can no longer hold the rest of the world to ransom, for oil. Sure, while we need polymers we will always need oil, but in far less quantity than before. And one day, not too far over the horizon, places like Saudi Arabia in isolation can threaten to turn off the supply. And the rest of the world will be able to say, 'go on then', and barely bat an eyelid. But that's when we may worry for other reasons. Hopefully, those oil producing countries realise that they need to be in other energy technologies too.

berlinersaint likes this.
  10. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

Donald would nuke them

11. TheSecondStain

Oh that would solve everything, I've no doubt. Especially when he's out of the White House having already been Impeached.

12. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

300 Iraqi civilians were shot trying to escape Mosul this week and their bodies left to rot in the streets. It got a mention on the BBC website.

berlinersaint likes this.
  13. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

My fear owes to the fact that the House of Saud is now really, really big (there are approximately 1000 grandsons of ibn Saud), and that atomization is going to increase the factionalism within the country. That has been kept at bay somewhat by drowning those princes in money, but as the third- and fourth-generation take up authority, if the money spigot gets tightened for an extended period, things will get pretty damned hairy internally.

14. TheSecondStain

Well indeed, and it will begin to dry up if they just depend on oil for their long term income and upkeep. They need to start diversifying, if they haven't already [tbh, I'm fairly sure they have].

15. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

There is no reason why you would. If you were invited there to an event and asked to show respect to dead citizens with a minutes silence then I sincerely hope you would participate.

Shocking statement to make. I dont know what the statement is saying but its shocking in its lack of respect for the nation they are visiting.

Thankfully they lost. I would expect an international ban of some sort for any nation on any side who acted in this way. This is sport. Supposed to be better than this.

16. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

They have diversified (their sovereign wealth fund is beyond massive), but when they're going to have to support the opulent lifestyles of 10000 great-grandsons of ibn Saud, they'd better hope they do very well.

18. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

I remember the time when the skates failed to observe a minutes silence

19. TheSecondStain

True. Tbf, Oil is the golden egg that keeps on laying, and if they decide to make it cheap enough they could hinder new energy technologies progress. But they won't because I'm fairly sure they've got a whole hand in that pie too.

20. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Double 'like' from me. Best view on this topic I've read.