1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Salcido out, Konchesky in (maybe)

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by dempsey's revenge, May 18, 2011.

1. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Fair enough Rocky, hate is a bit strong and probably the wrong word.

But I have certainly felt over the last month that a number of fans will slate Salcido regardless of how he actually plays. I do feel that is irrational and am not so sure Salcido is as bad as is made out. Of course, I don't see the away games so maybe he really is that bad away from CC.

I don't think anyone dislikes him on a personal level, he seems a quiet decent guy. That is certainly not what I meant.

2. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Fair enough Surlyc. There have been players over the years that fans do dislike, for example Brown, who may have been very competitive but was likely to give away free kicks or even get a red. Salcido's not in that class at all, as you say there is no reason to suppose that he's anything other than a nice bloke.

3. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

That's a pretty effective way to call me out for hypocrisy, Rocky!

I couldn't stand Brown, just didn't feel he fitted in with how we play. I suppose that's just as irrational as the criticism of Salcido (which is to say not really irrational, just perhaps a bit exaggerated).

4. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Sorry Surlyc I meant no such thing. No offence meant at all.

5. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Just joking around, Rocky. I need the humour since I'm back in the office today after my 'jolly' in Manchester. :(

6. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Ah work. The curse of the thinking classes.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Thinking classes? What a good idea - it's about time I learned how to think.

8. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Here's a thought, he thunk: suppose it should be a new thread but can't be bovvered.

Isn't it outrageous the number of professional players who are excessively one-footed? Most of them have been earmarked from a very young age and you'd think somebody might have done something to remedy it. Two examples from days gone by are Trevor Brooking, whose dad got him to practise with both feet to the extent he never discriminated between them, and Bobby Charlton, who scored so many screamers with his left, was naturally right-footed I believe.

9. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

We actually have some good two-footed players. Dempsey's scored several goals this year with his left. Dembele, Zamora, Salcido, Duff and Greening definately stand out in my mind as two footed. Salcido is probably the most two footed of the lot; anyone can take a shot with either foot, but making that pin-point cross with either foot is another matter - the only player that I can recall doing that is Salcido.

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

As ever, I agree with you Rocky. I've always thought that it's bordering on scandalous when a naturally gifted player has neglected to become at least competent on his weaker foot. I never played the game to any kind of high standard, but was capable of shooting or passing with both feet. If the likes of me could do it, there's no excuse for professionals in any division being unwilling to take a shot on because it's fallen to the wrong side of them.

On the subject of two-footed players, I remember when we signed Steve Hayward back in the last days of Micky Adams' reign. After five or six matches I realised that I had no idea which was his preferred foot. After that, I made a point of watching and the only clue was that he took corners, free kicks, etc with this right. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have been able to make even an educated guess. He was a good little player was Steve Hayward.

Continuing Rocky's aside - who was the most one-footed player anyone can remember playing for us over the years?

11. valjing

valjing Member

The question is he is left, or right footed,when looking at full backs.
    Probably this is the reason why so many scouts were watching our talanted acadamy player Sanchez

12. valjing

valjing Member

Dont know who was the most one footed player at Fulham.
    But without doubt,the best 2 footer was Bedford Jezzard,
    look up his scoring stats,you will then see what i mean.

13. rocky57

rocky57 Member

It is more your general player I'm thinking of, who should make the most of what he can do. I believe a certain Messi is ridiculously one-footed but he kind of makes up for it!

14. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Liverpool fan in peace.

Please take Konchesky back. I do feel slighty sorry for the lad but he just ain't been good enough. After his mum had the rant at Liverpool fans, he ain't going to play another game for us.

15. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Anyone else not good enough for the mighty Liverpool then?

16. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

You can have Poulsen if you want.

17. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Thanks for your patronising contribution. Come back when king kenny has won something.

18. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Chill out. You asked a question, I gave an answer. What's wrong with that?

19. rocky57

rocky57 Member

20. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

From my seat by his defensive quadrant I've seen all to often that he has been caught out some of the play in the PL. I do like some of Salcido's play - two-footed, some good crosses and a powerful shot, but that when he is going forward. I wish him well.