1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Saints January Transfer Window Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

The problem is greatly exaggerated

ChilcoSaint and Archers Road like this.
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You may be right. But you have no evidence for any of that, it's just a scenario you made up in your head, unless you know something the rest of us don't? Sounds like Les Reed is your scapegoat because, well, it must be someone's fault mustn't it? It couldn't just be that we are having a difficult season because that is football, could it? Do you look for someone to blame for everything in life that you're not entirely happy with?

3. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

What problem? We have a really good squad albeit some are underperforming at the minute - and that's Puel's job to address. We have never failed to replace players who have left albeit that some fans are impatient when they take time to settle in. We are in two cup completions at the end of January for the first time in about 30 years. Not bad for a transition season under a new manager. I'm not happy with the current style of football being dished up but take some comfort from the evidence suggesting our academy conveyor belt is getting back in track.

I know. Rose tinted glasses and all that but I can assure you it's more realistic than people (not you necessarily) constantly dreaming up conspiracy theories just because they don't like Reed or Krueger.

4. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

The answer is yes. Yes yes yes

Archers Road and mowgli like this.
  5. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

Thank you! Patronising

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

If by patronising, you mean I am attempting to give you some uninvited paternal advice, then yeah, I am. Cheer up mate ffs <ok>

7. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

A lot of love in here this morning I see! I dread to think what it will be like come 2pm if...nah I'll not even go there.

Some of the Reed-lambasting going on between here and Twitter is just incredible, I'm talking real poison! I'm not saying he's perfect or that the sun shines out of his rear end but it only seems like weeks ago that he and the board were being praised, people going so far as to say that it didn't matter what players left as long as Reed stayed. In my opinion people have short memories and Reed can rightly claim an abundance of credit for where Southampton are today. The doom-mongering is unbelievable! As soon as we hit a rocky patch, instead of seeing it for just that, the knives start flying in every direction. Some people need to remember where we came from, and you're kidding yourself if you think that we are always going to replace with players of equal or better quality. We aren't playing badly ffs.

8. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Archers post is not at all patronising.

You cant label people like that purely as they have offered a counter balance if you want to offer things, they are likely to come back to you in a different wrapper.

For me, that is why I like this forum, lots of educated debate.

We were always going to have a drop in performance of finishes sooner rather than later, and that it is ok to be disappointed but the club will address the issues, and that is where, for me, the club, Les, Ralph, and excl. Kat as she is virtually out of the picture, could be afforded the opportunity to redress.

They will know they messed up in the summer, but a good business gas its long term goals focussed over short term knee jerk reactions...

9. Craig smith

<doh><ok>

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a deliberate reason why this season is poorer than others. We have changed managers and players before and it has turned out better....this time it hasn't. The team is decent in depth, but lacks pzazz. It may be down to Puel, but we can all see he has inherited a weaker team than managers before him. He had to rotate because of the number of games we had to play....the largest number in Saints' PL history remember. We should have got another striker in...mainly because Jay and Austin couldn't be relied on to stay fit. Did we make no attempt to sign a striker or did we not get the ones we were after...only those in the club know. Not helped by the Fonte situation....if he was on song and encouraging perhaps we'd have a few points extra...perhaps we'd still be in the Europa...again, who knows? A combination of all things perhaps.

claytonsaint likes this.

11. craig222

craig222 Well-Known Member

Saw on twitter a paper (the sun I think) linking us with a 19 year old defender from Barnsley. James Bree....anyone know of him? £4 million valuation apparently.

12. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

That's our kind of price..one Charlie Austin.
    I know he is a right back, but not seen him play to comment any further

Edit: Of course there is a video

Not the greatest clips show you will ever see, but guess there is not much general football footage available for league one matches.
    Looks to have decent composure and a burst of pace.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    craig222 likes this.
  13. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Villa also interested I believe.

14. Craig smith

Surely at the price we're better of playing Jack Stephens,whom will save us money and is already best placed to fill the boots of F6nte. If you're giving youth a chance this is the perfect time to do that.

15. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Disagree; if there's one thing we should be doing more, it's supplementing with high-quality youth from lower in the pyramid.

holierthanthou and fatletiss like this.
  16. Craig smith

17. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Stephens main position is cb. Martina's contract is all but ended. So we need a back up rb.

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

He is a good young rb, that has a good cross on him.

Archers Road likes this.
  19. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Surely When Pied returns that will be him?

20. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Need more then one, Pied can play on either side. Means we have more depth.

SaintsFan86 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.