1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ruthlessly Political Events of Tuesday Night

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Mar 10, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

How Lee Johnson has emerged more powerful after ruthless moves at Bristol City
    By a_stockhausen | Posted: March 10, 2017

please log in to view this image

Lee Johnson.

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson appears to have emerged from Tuesday's backroom reshuffle in a position of enhanced strength.

When rumours first surfaced of the impending departure of assistant head coach John Pemberton and chief scout Des Taylor, many City fans chose to interpret these as the commencement of a far-reaching process that would also lead to the removal of the head coach himself.

Yet the ruthlessly political events of Tuesday night painted an altogether different picture. Once it became clear that Johnson himself had played a part in what was termed a "club decision" it should have become crystal clear to City fans.

Once their dismay had subsided, they will have realised that Johnson's position has, somehow, become stronger almost overnight. After all, he would hardly be invited to join in the decision-making process with regard to hiring and firing if he were about to be given the heave-ho himself.

Given the team's recent record on the pitch, a majority of City fans believe their head coach is already living on borrowed time. A meagre return of two wins in 18 games is, they argue, sufficient reason to trigger a change at the top.

In the light of what happened the other night, however, such an analysis makes little sense. Why would those responsible for running the football club dispense with the services of two such experienced members of staff if their intention was to sack the young head coach immediately afterwards? At the very least, such a course of action would make them look foolish and expose them to accusations that they were reacting to events rather than shaping them.

Then surely, if it is the case that Johnson still has the support of majority shareholder Steve Lansdown and his board of directors, and is likely to retain it for the foreseeable future, should they not just come out and say so?

Let us consider the following scenario; Lansdown makes public his continued support of the status quo and announces his intention to keep faith with the head coach for the remainder of this season, come what may.

Such an announcement would, of course, spark mass vocal disapproval on the part of a fan-base that, by and large, has lost faith in the current managerial regime at Ashton Gate. While the noise of protest might prove deafening in the short-term, it would almost certainly subside in a matter of days and give way to renewed support for the players on the pitch. In that respect, the fans have been outstanding all season.
    And that is surely the key consideration in all of this. The seemingly never-ending cycle of "will he stay or will he go" speculation surrounding Johnson is hardly conducive to resolving an increasingly parlous situation which requires those connected with the football club on all sides to come together in a show of unity.

I might have it wrong and Lansdown may well decide to wield the axe should results fail to improve by the time City embark upon the two-week break for international matches on March 18, leaving a new man with eight games in which to keep the Robins in the Championship.

But if I am right and his intention is to stand by the status quo no matter what the consequences, it might be best for all concerned if he says as much to those who pay their hard-earned cash at the turnstiles.

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/how-le...0194503-detail/story.html#issZShhOwmEHLX1r.99

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

For many years I have questioned what the heck is going on at Ashton Gate and have accepted most of the happenings with a rue smile saying well that's just the way my club works, and we move on. When Lee Johnson was given the job as manager my instincts told me that what was happening was just a little off key from normal and I thought a bad decision had been made because I could not see any way that LJ would be up to the task. Our results have proven that the appointment was a massive mistake and yet our smirking owner continues to live in his own self obsessed world denying that anything is wrong and is not prepared to even consider making a change of manager.

The biggest mistake that SL has made, apart from the blindingly obvious, is by attacking the supporters and sneakily blaming all the woes besetting Bristol City firmly on their backs and that I hope this will be his eventual undoing. I so badly want to say that he has lost his marbles but I have come to the conclusion that he is man of little integrity and certainly has no clue how to run and operate a football for everyone's mutual benefit because he is all about himself and self image. Big business run by little minds have taken over my football club and I can't see the veiled promises made from behind the smugness ever coming to fruition in my lifetime. The man is destroying my lifelong football love and along with it he is also playing with the emotions of many long time season ticket holders who might never come back when you consider that Lansdown has basically given them the finger and told them he really doesn't give a damn about what they think or expect. Essentially pay your money or shut up and let him make all the wrong decisions and then he will have the cheek to expect you to renew for another season of the same rubbish and false hope.

It's time for me to finally accept that I don't want anything more to do with this dross and thuggery being meted out by our board, and as for Lee I just hope you aren't expected to pay even more money to see the results of his ineptitude for much longer. The reason I say that is I have it from a backroom buddy of mine that Lee is being groomed to take over at Real Madrid and seeing as you want to know whether my source is valid I will just give you a hint - his name is Steve and apparently he's looking at buying them and putting his management expertise in a better place.

I know you will never stop this nonsense Steve but get rid of the little rat before you find out that your 5 pillars, or whatever corporate buffoonery your'e using today to state your corporate intent, comes back to bite you in the arse up there in the gallery with your cucumber sandwiches looking down in to your cavernous empty stadium, but even then I can't see you getting the message. You get what you deserve and beware the Ides of March.

4. invermeremike

Having problems posting comments and it's been happening for a few days now.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Alex Neil sacked as manager by Championship club..
    Norwich City have sacked manager Alex Neil after just over two years in charge at the Championship club.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39232229
    .....and we are still stuck with the idiot Johnson..

6. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

He deserves to be sacked they couldn't even beat us :emoticon-0105-wink:

Supcon72 likes this.
  7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

You've just said it , I couldn't agree more..:rolleyes:

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  8. invermeremike

Never the less it is food for thought, but I don't think Steve or Lee will be getting it served up any time soon. In fact I don't think it is even on the menu.

9. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Gary Rowett is no more experienced than LJ and calling for him is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to our current plight. I'll wager if we appoint Rowett now, this time next season people on here will be calling for his head. Almost to a man on here SL has been derided for taking cheap options and unproven managers, so how is appointing Rowett any different?

Red Robin likes this.
  10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Mate you are perfecty entitled to your opinion and I respect that but if you wander around the gate and share your thoughts with fellow fans like I have, speak to the local people, all of the people I associate with socially, my family, the local media, tv, press and social media, even the "gasheads" are laughing their socks off at us, the biggest majority make Johnson the most hated figure since Pulis.

He is tearing our club apart and our owner is too blind to comprehend it, I know football is not the end of the world but by God our club means so much to us and the joy of supporting it is being eroded daily, this back stabbing, failure has got to go, the worse thing Gary Rowett could do is put the pieces back together again and give us back our pride, anything would be better than the bloated ego of the waste of space we now have as a coach.

gdknac likes this.

11. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Sorry but disagree with this Rowett has done nothing to be heralded as the next Messiah. Also is he tearing our club apart? A bit over dramatic, apart from the noisy minority on forums I don't see any evidence at the games that he had lost the majority of the crowd apart from the odd murmur. Also the laughing stock comments are starting to grate. Nobody other than City fans care about our plight. Maybe a few gas but are we laughing at the plights of Coventry and Leyton Orient so why should anybody in the wider football community care what we are doing. Even Sky are more interested in the decline of Birmingham and Wolves than us. Yes we are on a bad run and yes LJ is lucky to still have a job but please let's have a little perspective. We are having a bad season but This has not been the worse season in City's history by any stretch of the imagination.

Alandicksthegreat and RedorDead like this.
  12. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

I'm not in the best position to call if he goes or not. Huddersfield is potentially the last possible chance to get him out before it'd be better to see him out.

Whilst I think that our early season flirtation with the playoffs perhaps raised our expectations a bit too hopefully, WE SHOULD NOT BE RELEGATED WITH THE SQUAD WE HAVE

If we go down I believe he has to go and giving him this power is not justified given our current circumstance

13. invermeremike

The win at Wigan today probably means that he will get a 5 year extension on his contract but I want him out before he's allowed to do more damage next season. I can't imagine how his post match tweets will sound but I'm certain they will contain some smugness.

14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I wasn't going to bother but just for you Mike . Belated birthday gift..

Bristol City FC‏Verified account@bcfctweets
    51m51 minutes ago
    LJ: "It's a massive three points. It was an intense environment and we had to grind it out." #WIGvBRC

Bristol City FC‏Verified account@bcfctweets 52m52 minutes ago
    LJ: "We got into dangerous areas and we deserved it." #WIGvBRC

LJ: "It was a tough game and the pitch wasn't conducive to good football for either team." #WIGvBRC

LJ: "What a relief. The players are buzzing. We needed that feeling." #WIGvBRC

LJ: "Our fans were brilliant. We're really appreciative of them." #WIGvBRC

Bristol City FC‏Verified account@bcfctweets 53m53 minutes ago
    LJ: "The result just closes it all up at the bottom of the table." #WIGvBRC

LJ: "We've got belief in the changing room. I'm delighted for everyone and we move on now." #WIGvBRC

Bristol City FC‏Verified account@bcfctweets 53m53 minutes ago
    LJ: "This was so important." #WIGvBRC

15. invermeremike

Isn't it amazing how a win can alter the entire landscape and the dire rubbish of the previous matches vanishes in to thin air. Does he but these epithets from an app or does he make them up himself? I suppose I shouldn't moan too much because after all his expertise clearly was the main reason we won - wasn't it. Thanks for the thought wiz EH!

16. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Closes up at the bottom ?
    Apart from the obvious inference of agony involved with that statement, I feel we are skimming the surface of disaster, and only Birmingham in 17th place can afford to feel secure (even though a couple of bad days at the office will also see them swimming in the same bog as us).
    Fact is one small slip right now and we could find ourselves in an untenable situation, so we really need all the stability and concentration we can get at the moment.
    It is for that reason alone that I would be keen to hang on to The Opportunist until we are safe,
    When the season is done, I would imagine he will be tied to a raft and floated off down the Bristol Channel

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  17. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Isn't it funny that when we win it's quieter than normal on here?
    No I don't want LJ, but today was a win and I would rather take a win than be talking about LJ constantly.
    I don't care now if every game was the same as today's every point now takes us a point closer to staying in this league.
    All week it's been constant bellyaching on here.

18. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly.

I want a change of manager like most, but I'll take a win every time.

Supcon72 and RedorDead like this.
  19. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Me too. He clearly isn't going anywhere so everyone hoping we lose every game will only mean relegation and not the sacking of LJ, so as,long as we keep picking up points I'm happy.

Oh and btw that's only 3 defeats in 10 league games now!!

20. invermeremike

Difficult place to be really when the supporters are baying for blood and we get a win which I'm sure most moaners will appreciate whatever their feeling on Lee might be. The deepest wish we all have is for City to survive this season and move on to the next wondering what, if anything, might come to pass during the summer. The majority of thoughts appear to be in the let's get rid of Lee camp and I will include myself in that category mainly because I really don't think he's up to the job and it scares me where we might end up under his longer term tenure. If we want to survive then we need to get behind the team, but unfortunately that could be misconstrued as undying support for a very poor manager and I think he needs to know, if indeed is isn't aware of our thoughts already - and he should be, that we are not happy with his and the teams lack of progress.

Crazy decisions from all parts of Bristol City season have left some people wondering if we have anybody on board who can, or have the temerity, to approach Lansdown and tell him we have been going about our business in a very disorganised and thoughtless manner and the key factor has to be a manager who can mentor and motivate players, and won't take any guff from either players or the boardroom. If such a willing victim was found to take on the task do you think SL would hire them or would it fly in the face of the status quo?