1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rom looking like getting back to his best?

Discussion in 'Everton' started by Peej, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

He looks to have a great understanding with Barkley, it has a look of Gerrard and Torres about it from 08/09 - not that Ross is a diver like Stevie Me.

I would also like to see Rom link up with eto'o as he will really learn from him, much can be said about the rest of our forward players.

Excited about thursday now, i think we will see a team along the lines of Saturday and some of the squad coming in at to keep it fresh for the next league game

2. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Rom missed Barkley due to the space he creates by running at the opposition at pace. We looked a different side on Saturday, much more like last season that, and it was inspired by one man.

3. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

I would say it is not just down to one man, not to just disagree with you.....quite the opposite. Barkley for 60mins looked a class apart, but this was just Villa. But the foundations for his performace were laid by McCarthy and Barry, without all they do to retain/regain the ball then he would be less effective.

4. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The problem we've before Saturday, was when they'd done their jobs and won the ball there wasn't enough pace, movement and directness in the attacking players ahead of them. Rom often dropped deep, Naismith for all his vital goals, didn't offer much threat with the ball in the No.10 slot. Ross is key to Martinez Everton.

5. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

What have McGeady and Mirallas been offering the team then if we lack pace/direct running? I have no doubt that Barkley is an amazing talent, but he can only be amazing due to the hard work/foundations of Barry and McCarthy. The latters tracking run and tackle/block was amazing and got a massive cheer. Thats what I love about the Goodison crowd, they appreciate hard work/talent no matter which direction we are going

6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

McGeady has frustrated me tbh. He's extremely talented, but sometimes seems to lack the desire to get his head down and power forwards. Mirallas can be direct and is quick but often lacks a final ball.

7. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

I dont see him as a regular winger as such, much the same as Pienaar. His clever interplay and quick feet/ability to go left or right is what I think he has been purchased for. Mirallas is the only direct winger so to speak that we have, his final ball can be weak but he had improved his level of performance this season and his injury was a cruel blow at a time he was consistantly good