1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP thread May

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by GLP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

Roger Moore
    89 RIP
    terrible as Bond

2. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Roger Moore. For me, the best Bond. RIP.

GLP likes this.
  3. Barrington Womble

Barrington Womble Active Member

James Bond actor Sir Roger Moore has died aged 89, after a short battle with cancer, his family has said.

RIP Roger

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

We don't debate the best Bond on the RIP thread. Ta.

5. tigers 2008

tigers 2008 Well-Known Member

Better as Sir Lancelot, RIP.

6. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

RIP upload_2017-5-23_16-41-2.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. ElTigre

ElTigre Well-Known Member

As a kid I thought The Persuaders was true to life. It wasn't but it was great entertainment and Roger Moore was excellent as the toff.

8. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

RIP roger Moore.
    A life well lived. And what a life.

9. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

As I posted earlier used to look forward to coming home from school and watching Ivanhoe at tea time. Used to enjoy Sir Lancelot as well but that was William Russell, not Roger Moore. William Tell and Robin Hood plus Lancelot and Ivanhoe meant tea times were something to look forward to back then. They would seem very mundane to today's kids.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    tigers 2008 and spesupersydera like this.
  10. tigers 2008

tigers 2008 Well-Known Member

Whoops, sorry, blame the advancing years. I checked with my wife rather than a reliable source of information.

Amin Yapusi and Plum like this.

11. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

<laugh>

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Just read this on another board and thought it worth sharing.

http://www.not606.com/threads/manolos-miraculous-miscellany.271457/page-1611#post-10572353

A story about Roger Moore to help light a dark day (with thanks to Marc Haynes for it) -

As an seven year old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a paper. I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words "my grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?"

As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I'm ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher it but it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'. My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts sinks. I tell my grandad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only just signed.

I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying "he says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up with realisation and he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, "I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out I was here." He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond, and he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.

Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF, and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador. He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport. He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said "Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond." So that was lovely.

And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."

I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man.

13. Chazz Rheinhold

I like the way his grandad kidded him he didn't know who roger Moore was and he still believes it!! <laugh>

DMD likes this.
  14. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Roger Moore....Did he like nookie?

15. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

RIP Roger Moore and all of those victims in Manchester of a deluded scumbag!

16. Chazz Rheinhold

Roger Moores recommendation for a perfect martini. If you read it it sounds like he's talking to you. Does to me anyway.

The sad fact is that I know exactly how to make a dry martini but I can’t drink them because, two years ago, I discovered I was diabetic. I prefer one with gin, but James Bond liked a vodka martini, “shaken not stirred” – which I never said, by the way. That was Sean Connery, remember him?

The worst martini I’ve ever had was in a club in New Zealand, where the barman poured juice from a bottle of olives into the vodka. That’s called a dirty martini and it is a dirty, filthy, rotten martini, and should not be drunk by anybody except condemned prisoners.

My dry martinis taste amazing and the day they tell me I’ve got 24 hours to live I am going to have six. Here’s how I make them:

1. For a gin martini, use Tanqueray – it’s a soft gin and the best. Put an eggcup measure of Noilly Prat dry vermouth into a V-shaped martini glass and swirl it around to flavour the glass. Then tip the Noilly Prat into the cocktail shaker, swirl it around and throw away what’s left.

2. Put a couple of ice cubes into the shaker and add your measure of gin. Ideally, there should be a quarter of an inch of space between the top of the liquid and the top of the glass. If it is up to the rim, it could spill.

3. Give the cocktail mixer a little shake – don’t exhaust yourself – and then put it in the freezer.

4. Cut a slice of lemon and wipe the rim of the glass with the yellow zest (not the white pith), and put the glass in the freezer.

5. Half an hour later you are ready to pour. A proper cocktail shaker has a strainer so the ice cubes remain in it. Funnily enough, the silver shaker we use at our home in Monaco has 007 on it.

6. Serve with three little olives on a toothpick dunked in the drink. That way, if I happen to be with you, I can eat one of the olives and enjoy just the suspicion of a dry martini.

17. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

I can hear his voice, intonation etc.

Like the "I can eat one of the olives and enjoy just the suspicion of a dry martini" bit best.

Suspicion.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  18. Chazz Rheinhold

<ok> Glad it's not just me mate.

Leon T Trout AFC likes this.
  19. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

He was sat directly in front of me at a gig once, with Michael Caine.

20. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Class.