1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ricki Lambert

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by ibodyslamrhinos, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

Before the start of LAST season, when Southampton were struggling a bit financially I said Ricki Lambert would be the perfect player to partner Nicky Maynard upfront. And that we should be putting in a bid of about £2.5 million for him.

I got lambasted and shot down by a number of names on 606, (Shiny I certainly remember you being one of them), saying things like "league 1 football is a huge gulf compared to championship, not convinced he has what it takes at this level" and also most bewilderingly lots of comments about he was far too old when he was barely 28 at the time!...

Look at him now, still showing he has the ability to go even further than championship level and terrorizes defences week in week out! Stonking old fashioned centre forward!

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Few things I've mentioned in the past and have been blasted for them.
    I said also when Lambert was with the gas might have been a good signing.
    Also said last Christmas that Millen was taking us nowhere and should go as soon as possible.

But hey ho, it's all about opinions, some we get right others we don't...........it is bloody frustrating when you see something that others don't!!

3. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

he was a ex gas head player, no thanks dont care if he is scoring

4. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

so say if holloway was willing to take the city job.. (course it won't happen) you woulden't want him here because he's ex gas??

5. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Its absolutely pointless Holloway coming here, one bad spell of results and we would be back in the Pulis situation where the general hatred of his Gas associations would not be allowed to be forgotten, whatever you think of him as a manager (I think he's a twat personally.) Some managers are just not for certain clubs, and he's one thats not for us.

I'm sure he knows that too. (Who can deny Tony Pulis is not a good manager)

6. Premiershiporbust....

Premiershiporbust.... Active Member

Shiny, quite a few gasheads have made the trip over and become very popular at The Gate (not in recent years admittedly) - a few examples are;-

Robbie Turner
    Peter Beagrie
    Brian "barrel" Williams

If they do well for our club, the past is not so important, its when they don't (Pulis) that it becomes a problem...

7. ibodyslamrhinos

I think you mean Peter Beadle Prem.... I had to double check Beagrie never had a 10 game loan stint with us or something, because I have always been under the assumption that that bloke hates us whenever he is given air time (for what reason god only knows) on skysports.

I think in that thread I posted I did mention would people be open to a hypathetical move for Lambert to us, and people said they didn't care he was ex gas, it would be more to do with the fact he was too old and not good enough for championship (despite scoring something like 28 goals in league 1 the season before for soton).

I agree with the Holloway thing though, I think he is one of many managers that has a sparkling moment in their career, and hes now had it. Some stuff he says is funny, other stuff makes me cringe and embarrassed for him haha ... But Danny Wilson had his moment with Barnsley, never repeated it, GJ has a small moment with us, will never repeat that with anyone, Megson with West Brom, Roy Keane with Sunderland, Avram Grant with Chelseas (sort of), the list goes on.... I think Holloway is in that same mould. I say we keep Millen until the end of his contract and see what happens ;) <----- joke

8. SvensMightyLove Sword

Maynard not score again ?? Oh well, did you know we won 4-0 yesterday.

UTF

9. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

well did you know no-ones bothered..

10. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

You're dreaming if you think you could ever have bought Ricky from us.<doh><nahnah>:1980_boogie_down:

11. ibodyslamrhinos

Pieking, this was when you were mired in turmoil due to the finances, and Pardew was taking you know where other than mid table obscurity, we had just landed Coppell as manager and it would have been more than possible for 2.5 million I think! But he is much better off where he is obviously, as Southampton look great this year under Atkins and are a much more stable club now with better prospects than us. But trust me, it wouldn't have been that difficult back then!

12. Premiershiporbust....

Premiershiporbust.... Active Member

BEFORE he went to you dozy.... <doh>

13. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Too good for us................