1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reaching The Holy Land.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintsFanAlex, Feb 12, 2012.

1. SaintsFanAlex

SaintsFanAlex Active Member

I have been sat thinking this morning about this season and IF we were to get promoted.

Firstly yes of course I would be in euphoria and dreamland that my beloved Southampton F.C are back where they belong in the top tier of English football.

I could look forward to seeing the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and both Manchester clubs among others back at St Marys and hoping we can cause the old style Southampton upset.

Whilst thinking about this though I also had a feeling come across me that will we have gone full circle and will I then become the fan I used to be, A fan who at the start of the season as much as I looked forward to it would always be thinking "well if we stay up mission accomplished".

I don't know if I want to become that fan again, I know Mr Cortese has spoken of Champions League and so on but let's be realistic here.... we don't know how much money we truely have nor how long we will continue to be backed.

Ok so we will be able to attract some higher level players as we did before and maybe players to get us even more excited by this time around but will we become the Southampton of old again where anything between 10th and 17th will do?.

It hardly gets me licking my lips in anticipation for a return to the Premier League, This is not a moan or a gripe its just an opinion based on my thoughts and feelings.

And I would be happy to hear your guys opinions on what I have said and listen to your thoughts on a possible return to the top flight and if we do get there your hopes and what you think is achievable given that none of us know our true financial backing.

2. The Based God

The Based God Active Member

The amount of moaning that will go on, on this board if we're in the PL and lose a few games and struggle in the bottom half will be unbearable.

3. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Well I would like to start by having a bloody good moan about people who are always moaning about people who they say are moaning when in fact what they are doing is practicing constructive cticism.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

When we went up to the Championship, I thought (incorrectly) that we wouldn't enjoy it as much as league 1 because we would no longer be the biggest club. I would like to be as mistaken as that if we get promoted to the PL, but it will be a whole lot tougher. I think we'll do ok and sign a few decent players, but there is no way we are going to spend, spend, spend.

5. SaintsFanAlex

<laugh>

No opinion on my statement though Godders?

Guess it might be a blessing if you don't agree or I would see you as a moaning old git! :D

6. SaintsFanAlex

Morning Fran I would like to pick up on the final part of your response the spend, spend, spend part.

Some people on here are so caught up because Mr Cortese mentioned one time the dreaded Champions League word that they think if we get promoted IF then within two years were be playing Real Madrid in the group stages.

Now I like optimism amongst us but come on! <laugh>

7. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

Realistically, the Prem will mean midtable obscurity being a hugely successful season where we will win 12 to 15 games tops.

Plus all the plastics will come back out of the woodwork

Plus season ticket prices will go up at least £300

Plus we'll have to suffer analysis by Garth Crooks on our performances.

Lets finish 7th this season eh?

8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Haven't really, properly thought about it to be honest. And I don't want to. Just thinking about the next 2.5 months is big enough, without looking any further ahead.

9. fran-MLs little camera

There is no reason why we can't have a decent season next year if promoted, but it will be a few years (if ever) before we will be competing at the top. Still want to be up there though.

10. SaintsFanAlex

Yes of course its better to be there than not the teams you play against not to mention the money factor.

But do you think we would have come full circle as saints fan and be exactly how we were 8 years ago?.

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yep, it is something I've feared also, and when you put it like that, 7th position looks mightily tempting.
    please log in to view this image

12. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

Look how well Norwich and Swansea are doing, and that's presumably with less spending money and worse managers :)

13. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

The first season back should hold the main objective of staying in the division. Although Cortese has spoke of being relegated as not a disaster for the plans of the club, having to re-build again would be hard and it's the reason we have to get it right first time around.

Nigel spoke very strongly in the programme yesterday about this being our best chance to go up. Some will say that we should have another year or two down in the Championship to make sure we're fully prepared for the Premier League challenge, but I have full faith in our ability to compete if we get promotion this season.

Most of the teams in the bottom 10 of the Premier League are average, some very poor. Look at how Wolves are capitulating this afternoon. 5-1 to WBA as I write. One of them, Blackburn, Bolton and Wigan will stay up - there's one poor team within itself.

14. SaintsFanAlex

Good response Lambden <ok>

And blimey the last time I checked about 15mins ago it was 2-1!

I am sure IF we were to get promoted we would be stronger than a few other teams on paper with maybe a couple of new signings but also at the same time we would be back where we started.

Nothing against this as it would of been a long road back however I would like to see us build something special here as I feel as supporters we all deserve something special to happen to us football wise.

We shouldn't expect or be given it we have to earn it but it would be nice :D

15. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

I'd be happy if we could do a Norwich. Their fans have been brilliant away this season. They see to be just enjoying the ride accepting they can't win every week but enjoying it just the same!

16. fran-MLs little camera

Never understood the view that we would be stronger after a couple of seasons in the Championship. The iron is hot and we should strike it, because there is no guarantee of promotion next season. Have to take chances when they pass by.

17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Yeah, one of the (very few) upsides of the dominance of the big six is that things are often quite fluid through the rest of the table. Europa and the domestic cups are open to all, the title and Champions League not so much.

18. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Premiership's overrated.

The actual Holy Land is a nice place though, that little which I saw of it.

19. Matthew Le God

Norwich City are 8th in the Premier League after 25 games and have a large number of players that were in League One playing against Saints in 2009/10.

20. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

If we get promoted, let's not have our aspirations too high and not panic if we get relegated again as the parachute payments are so good that it isn't the end of the world
    I have enjoyed our time in the lower divisions and being a yoyo club, as long as we are sensible with the cash, can build long term strength - look at West Brom and how they have handled themselves