1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ranieri Sacked

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I know you're just trying to stimulate the board but it's pretty tedious mate, IMOOC.

2. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I know. I was boring myself with it <doh> <ok>

Disco down under likes this.
  3. Horsham TomSAFC

Horsham TomSAFC Active Member

Agreed it was a disgraceful decision and seemingly brought about by the senior players,Sadly player power wins every time
    aka us with (P.D),Mags (Big Sam) and later with Man U ( D.M) and I am sure there were many others over the years.
    What gets me is that the Media do not appear to be making a big song and dance about the Leicester situation!
    I cant help thinking that IF that were us we would be getting slaughtered by the press who would ALL be willing us to go down
    or maybe I am being paranoid.

4. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

While The Press may not be going overboard, neither do they seem to be supporting this Board decision.

Then there are us Fans, all over England, not just from Leicester.
    What we have heard so far is likely to have turned the majority against 'The Players'.
    I suspect that they will get a rough ride from The Terraces, home and away.
    On the other examples quoted of Player Power, most Fans could see why PdC here and Moyes at MU might have had to go.
    Not so in this case.

As far as their Owners are concerned, the ungrateful B********s can rot in Hell for me.

5. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

In Keano's autobiography he writes about the dressing room after they'd won the treble in 1999 (I think).

He said that some lads didn't care if they didn't win another thing again coz they had won the treble. He was annoyed to say the least

The Leicester team are behaving in the same way - motivation lost

6. grimsby mackem

grimsby mackem Well-Known Member

Really sad if this has been brought about by player power. Nobody had even heard of the likes of vardy and drinkwater before ranieri helped make them into stars last year, now they're throwing the guy under the bus.

If the board have done it based on results its a bit more understandable(they have dire this year), but it was only a couple of weeks ago he was getting there full backing, makes me think there is some truth in the player power stories.

Hope they go down now regardless of what happens to us.

7. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Moyes at United doesn't count. You categorically do not bring a small club mentality to the biggest clubs in the world.

He deserved the boot after about 3 days. The players did exactly what was asked of them, defend and try not to lose no matter who you are playing, sound familiar?

Billy Death and BIG BAZ like this.
  8. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Aye.

9. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

No I like your posts

10. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Thanks Vince.

I like your posts too.

Vincemac likes this.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah cheers Vince you too.

Vincemac likes this.
  12. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Desperate times call for desperate measures and possibly the board prevented Ranieri from becoming the manager who got the champions relegated. According to the caretaker manager Ranieri had not lost the dressing room.

Either way time will tell if they got it right, but the mark of a decent manager is the ability to rectify what is going wrong and this may have been his downfall.

13. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

i cant say ,never read it

14. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Leicester were always going to struggle this year. They're a team filled with Championship-quality players. Ranieri pulled off a tactical masterstroke by playing in a way that hardly anyone else was and by playing to the strengths of his players. He managed them very well and used the momentum that they developed early in the season to maintain confidence to see them over the line. It was sheer managerial brilliance but was always going to be unsustainable. Unfortunately for him, the hype surrounding them meant that players who really weren't very good were given accolades (and caps) that they didn't deserve. They clearly believe their own hype and haven't put in the same effort. That added to the fact that Leicester were already being worked out at the end of last season means that not only have they reverted to their natural level but they've probably fallen a little further. Ranieri was sacked firstly because its always the manager that takes the blame and secondly because Leicester are just one big marketing tool for the owner's far eastern shopping centre business and it was beginning to embarrass them.

cumbrianmackem and Nostalgic like this.
  15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I've been on holiday in Disneyland Paris all week. Almost home now so will be more involved on the board

16. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

We know.

17. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Exactly, the moral imperative in professional football has gone - the professional game I loved as a kid has become a ruthlessy driven business and if you don't/can't keep up you are left behind. But as its in my blood I am well and truly hooked - a hamstrung football fan still getting emotionally distraught (too many times) at 60 -:emoticon-0101-sadsm

18. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Going back eighteen months and looking at it from a historical viewpoint what would any supporter make of a deal that said this upcoming season you would be Champions, the next season you would reach the knock out stage of the ECL, or even win it, but would be relegated domestically.

Who wouldn't say yes to that?

19. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

They sold there best player for £35m the player who had an 80% hand in them winning the league

A player like that cannot be replaced

The board made that decision

20. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

i agree that same player is a big reason for the slump and also for chelsea being top