1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Queens Park Rangers @ Loftus Road 20/8/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Aug 18, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Will this misery ever end, lines uttered by Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter, I had not realised that the actress had been a North End fan, still pointless the Whites head to West London to take on Jimmy Floyd's QPR on Saturday.
    Given the decent but unlucky result on Tuesday North end hope to break their duck but have a feeling that this again will be a fruitless trip.
    Rangers had started well but came up short at Barnsley last night losing 3-2 and having a player sent off. Hassellbaink seems to have started to turn the club around and looks to have a chance of at least a play off spot this season. Looking at the squad they appera tpo be a team of giants with 11 players at least 6ft2inches tall, so they may have a bit of aerial dominance.
    Both games ended in draws last season, with North End drawing 0-0 in a game were chances were at a premium, whilst the game at Deepdale ended 1-1. on that night the giant German Polter caused North End a host of problems and he has started the season well scoring a couple of goals. What is noticeable is that Rngers have had four penalties this season already in the league and have not missed one with Polter scoring one and Chery bagging three. Free kicks around the box will need to be avoided as Chery hasd a wand of a left foot.
    Hall will be suspended after getting two yellows last night, new signings Cousins, Bidwell and Ngbakoto all played at Barnsley. They have a strong squad this season and could go close.
    North End I suspect will be unchanged and will have to improve on their one shot on target statistics from Tuesday. Cannot see any movement on the transfer front before Saturday therefore still will not have a right back.
    As I said still pointless but as ever optimistic, no cricket this week, so 9.58am train from Preston, senior citizen rail card will be used, first class seat not sitting with the prolls, a trip on the tube, what a way to spend a Saturday, bring it on.

QPR last three DWL
    Next three Rochdale H, Wigan A, Blackburn H

PNE last three WLL
    Next three Oldham H, Ipswich A Barnsley H

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

It is time to wind up the elastic band tight and come out of the box roaring, hitting the ground running, aiming to be over the moon and not sick as a parrot. I see that Venky's centre half has scored 3 goals...in his own nets. Who needs opponents when you have team mates like him. In the gloom there is always a chink of hilarious light!

themaclad likes this.
  3. themaclad

The early morning journey to West London was a profitable experience, not only did we win at Loftus Road, but got close to a proper train at Preston station, a steam locomotive by the name of the Scots Guardsman, still a train spotter at my age.
    Arrived to the news that North End had made a number of changes, including the return of John Welsh in midfield, at last somebody who could get a tackle in the centre of the pitch. It was a vital change and helped North End dominate a match that they could won by more than the two goals they scored. In truth until North End took the lead in the 21 st minute this was a clunker of a match, a flat atmosphere amongst the home fans meant that the travelling support were the only ones who were making a noise, which got louder once Beckford scored. A long throw from debutant Spurr was cleared back to the left wing back, his cross was punched weakly by Smithies and Gallagher's shot was diverted by Beckford into the net.
    Rangers offered little in the early period and North End easily kept the lead until the bre. North End double the lead in the 52nd minute, Humphrys got away down the right han side found Beckford who squared the baol across the box and Rangers defender Onuoha under pressure from Robinson put the ball into his own goal.
    A purple spell for the Whites saw Johnson narrowly miss, Gallagher nearly chipped Smithies following a mistake by the keeper and Robinson go close.
    Rangers substitute Washington brought some life to the home attack, went close twice but in truth North End were not remotely in danger of giving up the points.
    Plus points Welsh, Spurr had a good debut and the formation worked hence we got the result..
    Back on the sauna of a tube, the train back to Preston had me and my mate sat in the row behind the Ntors who seemed in a happy mood.
    Interesting to note Jimmy thought the home players were tired, a bit early in August to be tired.

Queens Park Rangers 0 Preston North End 2 Att 13307

QPR head coach Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: "We looked second best and couldn't get going.

"You have to give Preston credit. They did well, put us on the back foot and we looked flat.

"As as a group, we expected more and wanted more but couldn't deliver. We didn't look like us. Individual errors cost us."

Preston manager Simon Grayson: "We've answered one or two critics from during the last few weeks. That will keep a few people quiet for a while.

"People do tend to get a bit jittery when you lose the first three games. The critics have been answered.

"I said before that I didn't think we were a million miles away. We were off the pace in the last three games but that was more like us."

4. themaclad