1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Wigan

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Feb 21, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

QPR will be looking for only their second home victory of 2017 when they host Wigan Athletic for tonight’s Championship clash under the lights at Loftus Road.

Coming off the back of what was arguably the performance of the season against Birmingham on Saturday, the R’s will now look to turn their fortunes around at home against a Wigan side who are in decent form having only lost two of their last seven matches.

The Latics find themselves in 22nd position but are just two points off Bristol City and have built momentum over the last few weeks after previously losing five games in a row in December. There is now genuine belief around the club that they can stay in the division following their promotion last season.

A lot has changed for both sides since our last fixture back in August where Nedum Onouha scored the only goal in what was a tight contest. Both teams have appointed new managers with Wigan dispensing of Gary Caldwell and appointing former Manchester United Reserve boss Warren Joyce.

Joyce arrived at the DW stadium with great pedigree having helped bring through players like Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard and our very own Ravel Morrison. However, the Wigan job is his first as a senior manager in English football. Despite a difficult start, Joyce now seems to be getting the best out of a talented group of players.

Their home form is what has restricted Wigan so far this campaign with the Latics having the worst home record in the league. But away from home they have proven very difficult to break down with a strong and resolute defensive record and also a threat on the counter attack. Only seven teams in the league have conceded less goals than Wigan.

Preston were the last side to fire a blank against the Wigan defence when the two sides drew 0-0 on Saturday in what was their last fixture with stand in goalkeeper Matt Gilks saving a penalty.

Tonight is a massive chance for Rangers to pull away from the sides below them. A win would take them ten points clear of Wigan and potentially into 14th place.

Confidence is high amongst Holloway’s team but he will know more than anyone that performances and results against sides in the bottom half of the table have been disappointing this season. However, if the R’s can reach the levels that they did in Saturday’s victory over Birmingham then three points tonight should be a given.

TEAM NEWS

QPR: The good news is there are no fresh injury concerns since Saturday’s win at Birmingham City. Jack Robinson came through 90 minutes for the Under-23s on Monday but this game comes too soon for him whilst Steven Caulker remains out with a hip injury.

Wigan: Wigan are expected to be without Michael Jacobs when they travel to Loftus Road. Latics boss Warren Joyce believes the winger's hamstring injury will continue to keep him occupying the side-lines on this occasion. Nick Powell (hamstring) is among those still missing for Joyce, along with the likes of goalkeeper Jakob Haugaard (elbow) and Craig Morgan (toe).

Gilks,

Connolly, Buxton, Burn, Warnock,

Power, Perkins, Morsy, Tunnicliffe,

Grigg, Bogle.

MATCH ODDS

QPR win: 13/10
    Draw: 11/5
    Wigan: 12/5
    QPR first goal scorer: Idrissa Sylla 11/2
    Wigan first goal scorer: Omar Bogle 11/2

LAST TIME OUT

Wigan 0-1 QPR - Championship, Saturday 27th August 2016
    QPR goal-scorers:
    Nedum Onuoha

HEAD TO HEAD
    (In all competitions)

QPR wins: 6
    Draws: 7
    Wigan wins: 2

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: James Linington
    Assistant Referees: Neil Davies and Robert Hyde
    Fourth official: Charles Breakespear

@qpr_anna

WEATHER FORECAST

It will be mainly cloudy through the day with intermittent light rain. Some local bright spells may form. Staying mild, but with strengthening winds later. 11% chance of rain.

2. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Nines, I would be very happy with your team selection. I just hope that they play as well and efficiently as last Saturday.
    There should be a good atmosphere at LR and I just that there are many home goals to celebrate!

COYR's!!!!!! :)

QPR999 likes this.
  3. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

After what has frankly been an awful campaign at home coupled with a relatively unattractive midweek fixture I'm concerned this is going to be another embarrassing turnout from the fans. But despite the obvious problems of recent years we need to let the current and possibly future owners know that the loyal fan base they always talk about are indeed loyal and the club is a worthwhile investment. A new ground remains a tantalising prospect for us long-suffering faithful and one I'd like to see come to fruition before they put me in a box. So, if you're in two minds about coming along tonight do us a favour and be there. Otherwise me and the bloke in the sombrero will be exchanging commiserating signals across the pitch again :) You Rrrrsss!

4. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Like the Burton game a couple of weeks back, this is a must not lose but a win would be fantastic. Enjoy the game and thanks to the OP.

5. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, match can be seen on fromhot.com streaming service. If it works, that is...:emoticon-0112-wonde

finglasqpr likes this.
  6. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

I just home that Saturdays performance is not the last "best" of the season.

7. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

We thought you'd run off with the coalman Ninesy!

finglasqpr likes this.
  8. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

True. But I hope that after a 4-1 away win there may be some more enthusiasm.
    It is certainly a match I would like to see if I had the opportunity.

9. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info.:)

I will see if I can find this link, and then if it works on my KODI device.
    If so, it will be a very pleasant surprise.

10. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Wigans finest:

11. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

leaving home in about 30 minutes! Really looking forward to this one!!

U Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  12. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Some people on FB reporting no Central Line tubes after 9pm tonight due to industrial action. Not sure if true.

13. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

finglasqpr likes this.
  14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I was in Berlin and Dresden for four days mate.

TootingExcess likes this.
  15. Telford Ranger

Telford Ranger Well-Known Member

502 Error on that link. This works:

http://www.fromhots.com/

I'll be very surprised if a link's available. Am I right in saying UEFA have decreed no other football exists on Championzzzzzz League nights?

Enjoy it if you're going. I'm very jealous.

acricketer likes this.
  16. acricketer

acricketer Well-Known Member

Web address gives a 'Bad gateway' error. Is there a link?

Sorry! Just seen the link above. Thanks.

17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, it's John Wayne's saddlebags...<laugh>

finglasqpr likes this.
  18. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

That is very strange, I have just re-tested fromhot.com and it works fine, and I have never got a 'Bad Gateway' signal. However, just for interest I tried that fromhots.com and my security software blocked any further progress, telling me it was very unsafe (phishing, etc.), whereas they never complain about fromhot.com.

So, guys, take care with that pluralised version of the website address!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  19. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Nice one Nines - sincerely hope after all the positives of the emphatic Birmingham win that this will not be a let down, a case of one step forward, two steps back, as were our other recent Burton & Blackburn relegation encounters.

Hoping for another strong win, although a draw would not be the end of the world - we absolutely must not lose though. Wigan do seem on the up and up themselves in recent matches, with a much tighter defence. In true R's fashion, I'm not expecting a cake walk tonight. We'll no doubt be leading 2-1 as the clock ticks down for the usual squeaky bum time. We really need to score the 1st goal too.

QPR999 and finglasqpr like this.
  20. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

They were on a pretty good run but I think after Saturday we'll play ok and sneak it.

Off topic, I'm currently in Glasgow. Anyone recommend something to do tonight?