1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Ipswich

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jan 1, 2017.

1. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

I didn't compare him to Taarabt at all, just said they both could be regarded as luxury players. No re-writing of history imo. He scored and assisted like crazy when we were relegated the last time, only beaten by Messi in the assist rankings in Europe during January through to May. I certainly understand if he felt the Championship was beneath him after such showings and can understand his less than devoted performances last season. It says a lot that Pulis chased him during three separate transfer windows.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  2. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Fair enough mate.
    No point going over all his merits and faults again, especially as he's not even with us anymore.

As I say, he's proved me wrong by performing well in the Premier League.
    Let's agree to differ on how he performed for us.

3. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Active Member

First off, I realise your replying to the first post when talking about Taarabt, and I completely agree, Phillips is nowhere near Adel in terms of talent.

Second of all, do you not seriously believe that we could do with Phillips now? That's my point I'm getting at. When Phillips turned it on, we inevitably scored/won. Always seemed to frighten opposition defenders. Blistering pace. We'd be in a lot better position this season if he was still in the side.

My second point about him was exactly what you've mentioned, pulling out of tackles, jogging back, not getting back at all. I've seen chery do all three this season. Also Gladwin. I realise you had an agenda against Phillips when he was with us, but please appreciate the good that he done. The QPR media team play flashbacks from the last time we played an opposition team coming up and guess who's always usually always involved in the build up or scoring the goal himself? Phillips.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  4. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

Hey hey, no need to agree to differ mate. You have seen far more live games than me, I'll take your word for it. Attitude and application is far more evident when experianced live than on tv.

Good on you to admit if you've been wrong, you have my respect sir <ok>

rangercol likes this.
  5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I was trying not to get into an argument, but I had no "agenda against Phillips". What tosh!

I always said that I hoped he proved me wrong, unfortunately he's waited till he joined another team to do just that.
    I'm openly admitting that I was wrong about his capabilities to perform in the Premier League. It's just a shame that you're remembering him through rose-tinted glasses.
    Yes there were some good performances, which made it all the more infuriating watching him jog back, pull out of tackles and generally appear to not try very hard for the rest of the time.

He's doing really well at WBA. I'm pleased for him.

I have no "agenda" against any of our players.
    I have opinions though, such as that Gladwin is awful and Perch and Bidwell are two of the worst fullbacks in the division.
    I hope they all prove me wrong, because at the end of the day I want the same thing as you. A successful team.

Ciarrai_Abu likes this.
  6. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Active Member

I'm not trying to argue mate, and apologise if it came across that way. Healthy debate from me, that's all. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I enjoy reading your match reports and comments about our games, and actually believe we share the same views on most things. What stuck with me though is that Phillips was (usually) always marked pretty low. Whilst you think I looked at him through rose specs, I just feel you were always trying to dig him out. For me, I saw a player who yes, was lazy, but always remained a threat in the oppositions half. That alone was enough to have most defences on the back foot, especially at LR, something which is sadly lacking in the current squad. You only have to look at the type of player Holloway is aiming for currently (LuaLua), to realise that.

Completely agree regarding perch, Bidwell and gladwin. I have no idea why the latter was even signed.

rangercol likes this.
  7. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Just for a change, we were one of the featured games on the Footie on 5 when we did well. Good to see the extended cut.