1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Ipswich

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jan 1, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

QPR head into Monday’s Bank Holiday fixture against Ipswich Town at Loftus Road with their tails up following Saturday’s late win over Wolves.

Paweł Wszołek’s 87th minute strike meant Rangers won their first game in six matches and also scored their first goal in five.

Holloway’s side will be seeking revenge over Ipswich who won the reverse fixture 3-0 back in November in what was Ollie’s second game in charge. In truth the scoreline somewhat flattered the Tractor Boys as Rangers were very much in the game before folding after Town’s second.

Like QPR, Ipswich have endured a somewhat underwhelming first half of the campaign. McCarthy’s side are nine points off the play-off positions but it’s their inconsistency and lack of goals which has frustrated the Portman Road faithful - something that could also be labelled against the home side.

Ipswich have so far failed to win more than one league game in a row and have scored just 24 league goals, two better than Rangers but the third worse in the division.

However, as you would expect from all Mick McCarthy sides, the East Anglian outfit are well-drilled, organised and defensively stable - shipping just 27 goals which is the 7th best in the Championship.

They too also come off the back of a morale boosting 2-1 victory over Bristol City thanks to Brett Pitman’s spectacular late strike.

Against Wolves QPR did something which we haven’t done enough this season - take the lead and score two goals. Ironically the R’s have played better in some of the last seven matches but got nothing from it. Hopefully it’s the kind of result that can get our season back on track and the lay the foundations for a strong run to help climb the league table.

TEAM NEWS

QPR: Tjaronn Chery (thigh), Seb Polter (back), Massimo Luongo (groin) and Jordan Cousins (hamstring) are all doubts again after missing out against Wolves. Steven Caulker (hip) is unavailable but Nedum Onuoha returns following his one game suspension.

Ipswich: Ipswich left-back Jonas Knudsen is doubtful having missed the win against Bristol City after suffering a cut foot. On-loan Crystal Palace midfielder Jonny Williams is sidelined following a shoulder problem which needed surgery.

Starting Xl's ?

Bialkowski,

Chambers, Webster, Berra, Kenlock,

Ward, Skuse, Bru, Lawrence, Mcgoldrick,

Pitman

MATCH ODDS

QPR win: 6/4
    Draw: 11/5
    Ipswich: 15/8
    QPR first goal scorer: Idrissa Sylla 6/1
    Wolves first goal scorer: Brett Pitman 6/1

LAST TIME OUT

Ipswich 3 - 0 QPR - Championship, 26th November 2016
    Ipswich goal-scorers: Ward, Varney, Lawrence

HEAD TO HEAD
    (In all competitions)

QPR wins: 26
    Draws: 18
    Ipswich wins: 30

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Tony Harrington
    Assistant Referees: Darren Blunden and Geoffrey Russell
    Fourth official: Charles Breakspear

2. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Thanks! When we win so rarely and always seem to change the team, maybe it would be a good idea to keep to the one that finally won as much as possible!

SwanHills and Uber_Hoop like this.
  3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

That's what I thought Oslo. I doubt that may be the case though as these two games are only two days apart and won't allow much recovery time.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  4. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Cheers Nines, excellent as always.

QPR999 likes this.
  5. Telford Ranger

Telford Ranger Well-Known Member

Cheers Nines good to see you've got your mojo back.

I'd be wary playing Shodipo there. Bidwell was excellent going forward, not so much defensively. As much as I'd like to see a front two, I'd put Conor there for the protection his work rate provides. And yes, despite the never change a winning team mantra, I'd give Ariel a go from the off. Age,fitness or both Sandro wilted visibly after half time.

NorwayRanger and QPR999 like this.
  6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Yeah I'm not too sure that Ollie is too keen on Shodipo at the moment. He mentioned something about his lack of tackling ability.
    Can you imagine Washington and Mackie on the same pitch? The Ipswich defence won't know what's hit them which isn't a bad idea as they only played yesterday as well. The last thing they'll want is to have to work hard and get pulled from pillar to post.

7. Telford Ranger

Absolutely, my concerns re. Shodipo playing in front of Bidwell in a nutshell. I do feel sorry for Conor, as we've never really played him centrally just off a target man, which is apparently his strength, and he's being judged by too many solely on his lack of goals playing the lone striker role. Based on the effort I've seen him put in I'd love him to come good and prove the doubters wrong. In the meantime needs must, and based on Saturday, when he came on, shored up the left and freed Mackie to create havoc on the right, he must start there tomorrow.

NorwayRanger, Stroller and QPR999 like this.
  8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

You was at the Wolves match so that sounds good to me. The jobs a good'un.

9. Hoops Eternal

Totally agree with you re Washington, I think he has been shabbily treated on this forum.

Telford Ranger likes this.
  10. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Ted rates him.

I think this is the perfect game for Shodipo to get a start. Yeni doesn't deserve to keep playing.

11. Hoops Eternal

If only we could play him up top with someone regularly we might see what he is capable of.

12. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Maybe. Don't honestly know why we bought him as we've never had players suited to a 442. He's definitely a viable option to play on the left though.

13. Hoops Eternal

I was hopeful that we would play him as we did with Charlie and OBZ. Which in my opinion was when Charlie was most effective.

14. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

The need for fresh legs could be vital tomorrow. Onouha in at right back. Manning is a young lad, should be able to carry on, if only by sher enthusiasm. If Luongo is fit then play him, a good runner who over 90 minutes can hurt tired Ipswich legs. Sylla by all accounts was knackered at the end at Wolves, so if Polter is fit then he should come in, painfull day in the offing for the Ipswich defence if so. Mackie are made for this, should start. And finally get a willing runner like Washington in there, a front three of Mackie, Polter and Washington should be to much for Ipswich after such a short rest.

My team would be, 4-3-3 (4-5-1)

-----------------------Smithies-----------------------

Onouha---------Hall---------Lynch-------Bidwell

-------Manning-----Borusiuk------Luongo-------

Mackie---------------------------------Washington
    -------------------------Polter-------------------------

qprbeth likes this.
  15. Telford Ranger

Quite so, but you could equally say we don't have the players to play one up front. Just look at the GF column. BFG and Sylla are good target men, but it's no good punting balls up to them only to see them crowded out or any knock downs cleared up as their nearest team mate is half a pitch away. Their height, their physicality will get them more goals than Conor but nowhere near the quantity we need and I feel we're wasting all three. Maybe when results aren't so pressing we can try 532/352.

This thing of ours, this buying and selling players, without giving a thought to how they'll fit in, grinds my gears.

1) Let's buy the lad Ferdinand and build a 5 man defence around him.
    2) Let's get in that Chilean Isla. Great wing back.
    3) Let's get rid of Simpson we don't need him anymore.
    4) Ferdinand and the 5 man defence isn't working out.
    5) Let's revert to a flat back four. At least we've got Simps......awwww **** how'd that happen? icon_eek.gif

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Ninj and Uber_Hoop like this.
  16. Hoops Eternal

This is one of the major problems of changing managers as often as we do. One manager brings in players to play the system he wants, out he goes and the latest incumbent has a whole shoal of fish out of water because he wants to play a different system. That is assuming that there is a degree of thought goes into signing players.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  17. Telford Ranger

Absolutely right. And, as we reel from window to window like dipsos on the lash, let's make sure we credit the right people.

#tryinghardnottogooffonone :emoticon-0127-lipss

18. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Ian Holloway may have a dilemma as to his team selection with regard to whether change or keep with the Winning Team. The key decision will be what to do with Onuoha.

I personally would stick with the winning team with the expectations of playing:
    - Borysiuk for Sandro (as he will not last the 1st half)
    - Shopido (or Washington) for Ngbakoto (poor performance)
    As a result my team selection would be in line with Nine's.

--------------------Smithies------------------
    Perch -------Hall---------Lynch-----Bidwell
    -------------Borusiuk-----Manning-------
    Wszołek ----------Mackie---------Shopido
    ------------------------Sylla -------------------------

However, I feel that Ian will play Ned for either Perch or Lynch. But with the match fast approaching, there is not much time to speculate.
    Whatever the formation, let's hope for good home support and a nice win. COYR's!!!!

QPR Oslo likes this.
  19. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Like you the Winning team for me as far as they are fit enough to do another 90. Which means Ariel or Luongo for Sandro probably. I don't think Shodipo in front of Bidwell gives much defence that side so expect Yeni to continue or for Washington to get a game instead of Shodipo. Hope Pawel and Sylla can start again - having finally provided goals it would be lunacy to leave them out now, unless they can't handle close to 90 more.

QPRski likes this.
  20. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Oslo - is Luongo match fit? If so it does open options in defensive midfield or the no.10 position. I agree with these minor fine tunings, but the danger is that we do not play the winning team. But Sandro should definitely not start in my opinion as it will be a waster of a sub.

I do hope that Sylla and Wszołek start, as dropping the goals scorers in our current predicament will be a crazy message.