1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Purely hypothetical and a bit of fun...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Jan 19, 2017.

?

Would you accept winning the League Cup but having to face a final day relegation battle?

1. Yes, I'll take a chance if it means we win our first major trophy for over 40 years

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No, Premier League survival is everything so let's get as high up the table as possible.

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Now that's a good point and one I agree with. As good as it would be I can't imagine any club led celebrations at the end of the year if we were to go down.

2. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to have a poll to see which of the Liebherr season's fans enjoyed the most....I suspect the promotion years would score highly and the Championship promotion is my favourite.
    Football is all about enjoyment and I don't believe that the PL is the be and end all.

3. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

As a Saints fan since the 70's I'll play the odds here. Pretty sure we had 20 seasons where we could have been relegated on the final day and it only happened once. Good chance therefore that we'll stay up and win the cup. Plus the seasons in the championship were great to watch. Win, win.

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Do you remember the Championship season that ended at Derby in the play-offs? Horrible, no matter how good the previous 9 months had been. It's only good down there if you go up.

5. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

PL for me!!! To me the League Cup is a trophy too much. In the other leagues of Europe there is only one cup that matters, the one equivalent to the FA Cup. Furthermore, I would like the European place given to the winners to be taken away and given to the team that finishes 6th in the PL. Oh, that was Southampton last season and I would have been pretty peeved if a team lower down the League had won the League Cup to deprive us of that spot.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

This is a good point which often is forgotten about by us Saints fans, particuarly in regards to League 1.

We loved it as we were only there 2 seasons, both were successful and we were happy just to have a football club with a bit of stability to it.

I doubt say, Sheffield United, for example have enjoyed it as much as we did.

7. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Definitely the PL. For goodness sake, we find it tough to hang on to our players as it is, can you imagine the mass exodus if we were to be relegated (even if relegation means they may not be as good as we think they are :emoticon-0100-smile)?

8. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Not that I'm a southampton fan, but for what it's worth, trophy every time. Firstly, there's no guarantee you'd get relegated anyhow, secondly it makes the end of the season more interesting, and thirdly, does it matter that much if you get relegated? You're not gonna implode financially, you're probably to well run for that, and at least you'd be in a league you have a chance of winning. Plus, who remembers who finished 4th or 7th or 17th in the Premier League in three or four years time? But people probably will remember who won the League Cup, or at least more likely to.... and it's something that can never be taken away or wiped out or erased. While if you finish 17th then get relegated the following season, the advantages of staying up the previous season will have been wiped out anyway.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I am weird as I really couldn't care less what league Saints are in. I'd much rather be in a league where we could be challenging for the title than being an also ran whether that be the Premiership or the Conferemce and football is all about winning things so a cup for me.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We have challenged for a title twice and got promoted twice. That is how it works. But I agree, a cup would be nice as well.

11. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Indeed. One of my best mates is a Coventry fan. Spent most of the 90s at the bottom end of the PL like us, never mixing it with the big boys. Fair to say that the next 15 years have made those times seem like glory years.

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

One step closer to having our cake and eating it!