1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Purely hypothetical and a bit of fun...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Jan 19, 2017.

?

Would you accept winning the League Cup but having to face a final day relegation battle?

1. Yes, I'll take a chance if it means we win our first major trophy for over 40 years

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No, Premier League survival is everything so let's get as high up the table as possible.

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Is relegation such a terrible thing? I know some clubs disappear without trace when they drop from the Premier League, but is there not a case for clubs who are perpetually struggling in the bottom half of the PL to,go down and reboot themselves?

I don't count Southampton among that particular group, by the way, it was a philosophical question.

2. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Money - income - club value - status - signings - sponsorship - the academy - fickle ****ing fans.

3. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Playing in the Championship is not such a bad prospect. We could have our Nigel back instead of all these other ****ers who either walk away or bugger the club up.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Seem to have sparked a decent debate, good stuff <ok>

Cheers for detailed response mate <cheers>

A couple of small things I'd like to address there.

-Not sure it's really right to compare to big clubs in the same situation. Take Liverpool for example, they've won the LC more than any other team and have won trophies fairly reguarly for decades.

For them and their progession, qualifying for CL is probably more important than a league cup. But for us? Would you honestly take one season in the CL over a trophy?

A lot of this comes from Wenger comments a few years back, I personally think it's sad that a lot of fans look at football like this now tbh.

-As for relegation, it doesn't HAVE to result in financial ruin. It did last time for us as we still had stadium debt and gambled on coming back up.

For every side that gets in a bad financial state there's 3/4 who are fine. I believe we're well run enough now that we'd be absolutely fine (financially) were we to go down.

- We're a 'best of the rest club'? Does finishing in that sorta position a couple of years running really cement that we are that sort of club?

These things come and go tbh. In terms of stature, fanbase, commercial appeal etc. then we're part of a group of a couple dozen of clubs (that chop and change depending on relative success, and I'd include likes of Wolves, Ipswich, Sheff Utd etc. ) behind the second tier of clubs in England - likes of Villa, Leeds, Everton, (maybe even West Ham?) etc. Don't ever see us having the fanbase or commercial appeal of these sorts of clubs tbh.

Not digging, but do you genuinely think that the 6th & 7th place finish has cemented our place as a 'best of the rest club'? Or are we a small to medium sized club who have had a good little period?

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Kinda dodged there question there mate... or misunderstood it? ;)

Not saying relegation and LC. But if offered would you accept winning the cup and there being chance of relegation of final day?

See, i think it's a massive shame that a lot of fans now are so concerned with things such as money, income & sponsorship. Also would a trophy win not improve our status?

Shouldn't fans be dreaming of glory, rather than worried about the financial or 'business' side of football?

Suprised it's you mentioning that as well Godders (not personally), as generally I find it's fans my sort of age (mid 20s) or younger that look at football that way.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Btw, can't do it on app, but do any mods think it's worth adding a poll?

Would be interesting to see just how many people would happily risk a nailbiter on the final day to win a major honour.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You can lead.a horse to water

8. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I guess there is a sufficient gap between the league cup final and the end of the season for me to say yes.

If the threat of relegation loomed I'd probably find it difficult to really enjoy a cup win.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be as happy as Larry on the day/night and proceeding days, but could you cheer a relegated side on an open top bus or look back at that side with hero status in 50 years time like the 76 team?

The answer to the original question is yes, because Im a gambler and it would be great to win a trophy, but if the worst did happen. The joy would quickly disburse

9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I'd definitely take the Leicester scenario, ie win the League then flirt with relegation. In fact I'd take winning the League one season and finishing bottom the next (we'd be a trivial pursuit question forever then). But the League Cup? Not sure it's vastly bigger than the JPT (which I consider a najor honour).

I would also point out that we won the FA Cup when we were in the 2nd Division.

Better supporters in the lower leagues, better atmospheres in the half empty frounds, players less blinded by greed. ****it, let's just get relegated anyway.

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Done, let me know if you want to change anything!

11. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Very interesting stats. What do you think is a "cut-off" point for Sky, where they'll need to make drastic prize money changes or I suppose extra enticements to bring back the viewers ? Especially in consideration of their already in-place quite lengthy deals?

Ps. I'm in the missing audience section this season.

12. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Until very recently I would have always said, PL is paramount but lately I'm not so sure & I think I'd go for the cup. IMO, our recent best years were in the lower divisions if only because we were winning most games & top of the barrel. Maybe relegation wouldn't be such a bad thing? Just ask Sunderland & Newcastle last season end & now?

13. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I chat with twenty or thirty members of the public every week through work. The number of them dumping Sky or who say they won't renew is quite impressive.

Sky Sports - people becoming aware that there is decent streaming online if all you want to do is watch your own team once a week. £1 a week if you are bothered about quality. Free if not.
    Sky Movies/Atlantic - Kodi with Exodus completely replaces it. Free
    Rest of Sky - Seventy TV channels now available on Freeview. Free

Fewer people watching = less cash for subs plus fewer eyes for advertisers = lower revenues. They are going to have to respond at some point by paying less for EPL rights.

Sorry for going off-topic...

Vin

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  14. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

What you've described above is precisely the reason I'll never even consider paying for a Sky/Virgin/BT tv package.

Onionman likes this.
  15. Mr_Saintly

Mr_Saintly Well-Known Member

Oh, go on then, why not. I've never seen us win a major trophy.

16. fatletiss

I am very close to being there too, as my Sky deal is "under consideration" ... well that's the message we have put out the to the media.

17. fatletiss

Just a thought. You know how we meltdown now with three players leaving every summer.... imagine the meltdown when 10 leave*

* 10 is just a random number I pulled out. You get my gist.

18. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Ha. I put that in my original list of reasons but deleted it before posting.

At work so can't respond to the questions I was asked in any detail. Later.

fatletiss likes this.
  19. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I believe the majority of the tv rights money comes from abroad now, but certainly there going to have to adjust their model for the decrease in the domestic market

20. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

You know, that's a really good point. I hadn't considered it at all. It may well be that that'll keep the merry-go-round spinning for longer than I was anticipating.

In which case, no relegation ever, please.

Vin

fatletiss likes this.