1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Poppies

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Nov 2, 2016.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

FIFA have banned England and Scotland from wearing poppies on their shirts during the international match between the countries on the 11 / 11th.
    Does not the sacrifice of brave men and women deserve to be remembered on the 100th anniversary of some of the most bloody battles in the history of warfare. Thousands died so that people might have freedom to speak their opinions but not remember their courage and deaths if your part of FIFA
    I hope that common sense will prevail and this ruling will be over turned

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I fully agree with you 100%. We should be allowed to wear it. Although I do understand FIFA's point.

Their rule:
    "Equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images. Players must not reveal undergarments that show political, religious, personal slogans, statements or images, or advertising other than the manufacturer's logo."

A lot of people will be wearing poppies for just remembering and paying our respects. Thats how I view it anyway so to me its harmless. However, to a lot of people around the world, these poppies are a lot more than just remembrance. Like where do the funds go from selling poppies? Some of it funds our armed forces. So that reason alone, some will be offended if we have poppies on our shirts. Poppies mean different things to different people unfortunately and I can certainly see the point that FIFA are making, although I still think we should be wearing the poppies. Here is 1 example of what some people think about poppies and they are based in the UK...
    In 2010, a group of Celtic supporters unfurled banners objecting to poppies on their team's kit, citing British interventions in Afghanistan, Ireland and Iraq.

FIFA, I think dont have an issue with poppies. I think they get it. But they have to treat all countries the same. How did you feel when Republic of Ireland players wore a political symbol on their shirts in a friendly against Switzerland on 25th March to mark the centenary of the Easter Rising. The Easter Rising was an Irish rebellion against British rule, which lasted from 24 to 29 April 1916 and resulted in 485 deaths. The Irish doing this would have obviously offended a lot of people. Us wearing poppies could also offend a lot of people. I think thats FIFA's point and I understand that.

If FIFIA lets us wear it then other countries like Russia may demands to have a memorial to the dead of the patriotic uprising of the Crimea on their shirts! Or a country may put something on their shirts to support ISIS for example. I know thats far fetched but you get my point.

All I can say is, I will be wearing my poppy!

3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think FIFA's rules are too inflexible because wearing poppies won't cause offence to either side involved in this match. Obviously if one team proposes commemorating something that offends their opponents, then that's a line that shouldn't be crossed. In this case it's sad that the poppy's been politicised by a parliamentary discussion. The poppy's just a way of remembering the sacrifice of war. It's not some triumphalism about any particular war, just a recognition and appreciation of the ultimate sacrifice.

4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

As I understand it CJS the Irish have the Easter rebellion motif as part of their shirt badge, this was printed in one of the papers today. James McClean the Sunderland? player refuses to wear a Poppy for the reasons you gave about the Easter uprising

And I will be wearing mine

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator