1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Many of our human and workers rights were also won through membership of the EU, and the unions within. I just wonder how many years it'll take to roll them back completely due to market necessity in the UK.

2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I can't speak for anyone else , But I have personal experience of the Union supporting me in one specific way that has nothing to do with wage negotiations . Union support is , IMHO , a classic example of you don't know what you have , until it's gone !

3. TheSecondStain

Same here. When I think about it, I have hardly ever voted for my own requirements. I have been comfortably off in my life and so I vote to help those worse off than me and to help the create opportunities for those who ordinarily wouldn't have access to them. Those who are comfortably off don't need a leg up. If they are feeling the pinch they have plenty of ability to slim their lifestyle down and live within their means without suddenly missing out on absolutely everything.

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

President Trump’s message in a guestbook at Israel’s main Holocaust memorial and museum has drawn some ridicule for its failure to demonstrate sensitivity to the atrocities memorialized at the site.

“It is a great honor to be here with all of my friends - so amazing + will never forget!” Trump wrote during his visit to Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, today.

Raoul Wootliff, a reporter for the right-wing Times of Israel, posted on Twitter, “He forgot: ‘See you next summer.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=47580679

Trump is ****ing dumb.

Look at this ****:

please log in to view this image

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  5. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

He seems to have an immature, childlike way of expressing himself, which manifests in so many ways.
    His mannerisms, his temper tantrums, inappropriate behaviour, etc.
    Not a good thing for one in such a powerful position.

6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Trump is ****ing dangerous .

7. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

The Unions of the 70s were fighting the rise of globalisation and huge advances in technology that were eroding the need for certain jobs and as it is their remit to protect their member's jobs the battle was started. They were fighting against the tide but what else could they do.
    Today we have the outcome where the jobs in those industries have disappeared or have become lower-skilled, lower-paid and more easily filled by cheaper work forces from across the world. This in-turn has led to the rise of protectionism/nationalistic agenda.
    This could have been avoided if government policies included investment to encourage the growth of higher skilled manufacturing jobs like they did in Germany.
    The early 80's were more about eroding unions and encouraging the service industries, and by the late 80's the preservation of selfish attributes became the norm.
    Since then no-one is willing to pay for it to the level it should be at. The Tories believe in the private sector investing - but the private sector are too short termist. The Labour Party want to change it to be state-led but cannot fight the battle of the amount of borrowing/taxation it would require, because it is too toxic with the public and the press.
    We reap what we sow.

8. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Well i just posted my vote. And thus ends my part in this unwanted election.

greensaint and TheSecondStain like this.
  9. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

His description of last night's murderer? An evil loser. Loser?! Is that all he could come up with? The man's a disgrace.

10. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Spot on. I get apoplectic when I see drama on TV where unions are not included in situations where they would have been in real life. My missus is addicted to Holby, and last week there was the situation where someone was steam-rollered without representation. The medical unions are a bit pants, but this was outrageous. There are often situations in TV drama where trade unionists could be seen doing the bread and butter job of offering advice and supporting members. I worked in the trade union movement for over twenty years and was involved in one strike. My day to day job was helping workers, and often advising and negotiating with grateful employers. Sexy it wasn't. But I didn't half help a lot of people, I'm proud to say.

11. TheSecondStain

I think he almost used a ruler. You know what I mean.

12. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It's unfair to compare Trump to a child. I worked for a summer at a small museum roughly one-billionth as important as the Holocaust Memorial, and the kids who visited that museum left far more detailed and insightful comments.

ImpSaint likes this.
  13. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

****. When's the postal deadline?

14. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for my postal vote, Fats. They said they'd send it "early the week of May 29". I hope it arrives in time or I'll be pretty upset!

15. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

I'm jealous!

I'm still emotionally in a place where I have real difficulty voting for any of the parties, they have all managed to come up with policies I really dislike.
    I will resort to my teenage ploy of voting for the local candidate who seems "nicest". Bloody sophisticated me.

At least my daughters have registered in time (after much moaning by me) unlike many of their friends which is a bit sad.

ImpSaint likes this.
  16. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

It just says it has to be received by the returning officer by 10pm on the 8th of June.

I only got it yesterday. Plenty of time.

17. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Unless, like me, you're away this weekend, then off for a golfing trip to Wales, back briefly next Friday (hopefully in time to vote), then off to Ireland for 4 weeks ......
    Life can be such a bitch sometimes, eh? :emoticon-0105-wink:

Oh, and in case you're thinking of popping in whilst I'm away, Fats, and helping yourself to my whisky collection, I've packed everything away and it's nearly all in storage :emoticon-0130-devil

Saint Helen and Missing Lambo like this.
  18. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Good for you, mate. It's more than a bit sad! My childhood was, of course, characterised by not having much to do - my grandchildren struggle to compute that we didn't have Facebook (!) - but I recall discussing up coming elections as a young teenager. (Before you ask, it was when Pitt the Younger was about, before these new fangled Labour johnnies came along) Political discussion was encouraged at school, but I guess now the sausage machine curriculum means there is no time. It does not bode well for the future.

ImpSaint likes this.
  19. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Lincolnshire isn't East Midlands though. It isn't Midlands. East Midlands is the Derby, Nottingham, Leicester triangle.

Here in Lincolnshire we get BBC Look North not BBC Midlands today. We get ITV Yorkshire not ITV Central. Ask someone from Lincoln and they are a northerner. I am a Northerner. Those first 3 months in Winchester don't count ;)

Archers Road likes this.
  20. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

TV execs want to present a scenario were the worker is helpless and bullied by the machine. They don;t want to present a realistic picture where they might get advice or even assistance. That would destroy the narrative they want to present of the poor worker helpless to defend themselves with no help available to them.

Just like they want to paint a picture where the Queen Vic or the Rover's Return are full to the brim as if it was still the 70s and that the whole community (of all religions and races) still gather together in the community pub each night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)

1. Hadz13
  2. StJabbo1