1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

2. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

May is having an absolute mare today. Andrew Neil's interview with her came across awfully...

ImpSaint likes this.
  3. San Tejón

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

She looks weak as hell. As I said earlier, you can see why she skipped the debates.

5. San Tejón

6. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

please log in to view this image

7. SaintinSerbia

Now Jeremy is getting **** for supporting Brexit, but as the leader of a democratic party, when the country votes for brexit he has to, or his party isn't democratic?

ImpSaint likes this.
  8. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Not likely. Drug addicts are pampered these days.

Drugs or not, can;t believe she stabbed someone and gets away with but then again I still don;t get how a high ranking soldier that is well aware he is and then has broken the Geneva convention can get away with it either! I better shut up. I'm not sounding very Tory there.

greensaint likes this.
  9. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I didn't think the interview was that bad. Theresa May has never interviewed well and this change of mind on social care left her seriously vulnerable so it could have been much worse. I generally apply the wife test to these things and ask her (as someone relatively uninterested in politics) what she thinks. Her response when I asked about this interview was "It was alright. Bit boring." so I'm not sure it'll sway many people. It'll be interesting to see how Corbyn does in his interview.

10. ImpSaint

Come on... The canary? The media haven't gone into panic mode. The IRA thing came before this sh**tstorm brewed yesterday and this morning.

And I posted a graphic yesterday before this happened today that Corbyn was improving in the polling before this weekend happened.

11. SaintinSerbia

you're cracking Imp! Vote Jez!

OddRiverOakWizards and ImpSaint like this.
  12. ImpSaint

Ask me in 2022. 2017 = Brexit.

Would actually be fun to have Corbyn in there. I can just imagine him bringing in his tax rises, companies jumping ship and the British public / worker / Corbyn voters then boycotting their goods in the UK in favour of homegrown stuff.

13. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Ha, not on that issue. Corbyn could be the poster boy for a soft criminal justice system.

ImpSaint likes this.
  14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Nice theory, and one which the right wing press constantly trots out, but in reality, where would all these companies actually go? The graph shows the projected corporate tax levels in 2020 if the Tories put the rate down to 17%. Even if Labour push it back up to 20% we would still be equal lowest in the G20.
    IMG_0066.JPG

15. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Nottingham is East Midlands yet Lincoln is north? Is Sleaford (20 miles south of Lincoln), north? Sleaford is about 30 miles from Peterborough. And Peterborough is definitely not north.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    SaintinSerbia likes this.
  16. SaintinSerbia

The thing that encourages me the most is that the under 30s (including my 2 daughters) is that even if they'd read the 3 volumes of Imps neo this neo that Blairite this, Thatcherite that, real Labour, new labour, GDP this, national debt that, is that they will see 2 people to vote for. A man they can believe in or a puppet on a string!

San Tejón likes this.
  17. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Well Labour are proposing 26% not 20%. The UK also has much less generous allowances than other countries. When you look at the effective marginal tax rate we're currently nowhere near the lowest.

please log in to view this image

EDIT: Here's some more on corporation tax from the IFS:

Under current plans, corporation tax receipts are set to form a smaller, and possibly decreasing, proportion of receipts in the future. This is not necessarily a concern. It has long been recognised that corporate income taxes can distort incentives in a number of harmful ways, and they are thought to have a particularly damaging effect on economic growth. Corporate tax is top of an OECD ranking of the most damaging types of tax.

One concern may be over the distributional consequences of lower corporation taxes. Corporation tax can reduce the return to company shareholders (for example through lower dividends). This will affect not only individuals with direct holdings but also those with private pensions since most pension funds will be at least somewhat invested in UK corporate equities (i.e. shares). However, an important feature of corporation tax is that the ultimate burden is not necessarily entirely borne by company shareholders. It can be borne by workers. In short, if firms decide to respond to higher corporation tax rates by doing less investment in the UK, that leaves UK employees with fewer job opportunities and lower average wages. Evidence suggests that, because capital tends to be much more mobile than workers, a significant share of the burden of corporation tax tends to get shifted to labour.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  18. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I would argue the exact opposite, the only thing that has kept the classical free-market economics alive has been the influx of cheap labour and the introduction of 'flexible' contracts because it means there is someone to exploit and someone willing to earn a pittance. I agree, we should invest in science and technology and I am pro green-industry (making new products for renewable energy etc.) are high-value cutting edge technologies that would give the UK something to fall back upon. However, we have massively under invested in such facilities and flog them all of to foreign multinational companies (I believe privatisation was the Conservative dream that has left us with the highest bills in energy and transport in Europe). All we seem to do is put all our eggs in the financial industry basket which is far more volatile and could be a disaster if Brexit leads to companies moving to Germany etc.

ImpSaint likes this.
  19. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Royston Smith?

20. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

How did you guess?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Gregm1988