1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

But you're ok , you are just plain "Roy".

Velcro Roy likes this.
  2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Happy times. I could go out anywhere in Bournemouth and we either supplied them or wanted to. The pubs we supplied (especially the dodgy brewery tenants), would give me a free night for the sake of a keg of beer. Worth £200 to them in sales, but only cost me £20 delivered. Many, many a drunken night. :)

3. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Unlike Velcro Roy[ston], that's not my real name. ;)

Velcro Roy likes this.
  4. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

So Le Pen heading for defeat in France; Corbyn unapologetic about links to unions while he campaigns in Scotland to try and keep their one voter; Tories more resurgent than Poch's Spurs and we're discussing etymology of names. There are times when you have to wonder ....

Anyway, I am about to go out for lunch at a local bar in Charenete. Yesterday they were pretty strongly supporting Fillon, albeit on the basis that he was the best of a bad bunch in their view. Be interesting what they will be saying now. Assuming Macron wins then politics in France is going to get very interesting, and the impact on a coalition's stance on Brexit is a complete unknown.

5. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

There has been much worse horses doovers on this very long and sometimes entertaining thread than a little name juggling.:emoticon-0103-cool:

Missing Lambo likes this.
  6. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It's why I love this board. Should have included a smiley!

Incidentally, my lunch-time straw poll gives Macron a huge lead over Le Pen. Mind you I'm not in Provence. Cross those fingers, people. :emoticon-0138-think

7. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

I used to have top job (in Lincoln) at the top of Bacardi Martini's (used to be Westbay Southampton) handling house for promotional stuff. The warehouse side that is. Where all the promo stuff (poster, bunting, scratchcards etc) get sent out in kits to pubs and venues.

Most of our pallets were free booze to be sent out i.e. buy 4 cases and get 1 free etc.

Any breakage would render a case or cases unusable because of the leakage over other bottles and of course all returns must be returned to sender.

Imagine me as a 21 year old getting that gig with a warehouse full of returns from a company that had Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Ardbeg as well as everything Bacardi Martini!!!

I always worked overtime (salaried so not paid O/T) and would then head off to my mate's house down the road and play FIFA (before they did years) and then bike home 3 miles smashed :)

And that's why I would never ever touch Bells or any other crappy blended whiskey. I was putting a shot of Balvenie in my coffee before I left home in the morning to go to work.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  8. ImpSaint

Fillon would have been my choice. STuck with another Blair now. A wordsmith that is the Bank's friend.

9. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I'm sure we bought from you. Used to originally get our Bacardi-Martini stuff from Matthew Clarke I seem to remember, then in the end got it direct from Bacardi in Southampton as well as all the Smirnoff products direct from Diageo I think. Happy times :)

10. ImpSaint

We were a handling house. Our sales reps would go into places and sell the product. BM @ Southampton would send your order and we would send your freebies from Lincoln.

We ran the whole sales team and the promotional freebies.

11. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

The campaign hasn't officially started yet but there were some remarkable polls today suggesting the Conservatives could take between 8 and 12 seats from the SNP in Scotland and also (even more incredibly) that they could win a majority of Welsh seats, something that hasn't happened since the 1850s when they were competing with not Labour, not the Liberals... but the Whigs!

12. ImpSaint

I did say this a few days ago. The SNP are going to lose seats here. They are more key than winning a majority in Wales because it will completely knock SNP back.

The Wales forecast today was quite surprising but not as important. The SNP's whole manifesto is stop the Tories taking Labour seats in England. And now the Tories are going to get seats from SNP in Scotland.

It is a bit shocking that the whole of the left has to group together to "try" to keep one party out! IT means that half the country is having to bite their tongue to defeat the other half of the country. Sad times when people have to ignore their own beliefs to vote against the majority!!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  13. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Would prefer if Macron was the UK Prime Minister. He has some interesting and positive policies, unlike his opponent whose ideas are very negative. Why is right-wing politics surrounded with negativity? I suppose people feed on the message of fear and then we have a mass frenzy.
    If these polls are anything like true, Labour could be ousted in places like Warrington and St Helens, never mind Southampton Test. However, I am sure this is not quite the reality. The good folk of Southampton Test are far too intelligent to vote Tory!! We need Royston Smith out!! When? Now!!! Get everyone who is not a "Tory" in the Southampton Itchen constituency to vote Labout to get the prat out!!

VocalMinority likes this.
  14. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I decided to have a read of ukip's 'Intergration Agenda' they published a couple of days ago on their website as i was interested to see what passed for integrating other cultures in far right land.

I left disappointed. there is absolutely no attempt at any integration. I think 'Islamic Exclusion Agenda' just didn't have the same political ring to it.

http://www.ukip.org/our_integration_agenda_aims_to_bring_communities_together

Missing Lambo likes this.
  15. ImpSaint

The polls won't transfer exactly to seats because you can increase "popularity" across the country and it still won't touch some automatic red voting seats.

Labour and Lib Dems will take back some seats that are currently Tory however I suspect the Tories may take a fair amount of seats more from Labour that have not had a Tory in them for generations.

16. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

If only Jeremy Corbyn looked like Benedict Cumberbatch?

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Personally, I'd rather Benedict Cumberbatch looked like Jeremy Corbyn!

18. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

I've heard Jeremy is lined up to play Sherlock's disappointed father in a one off special if he loses his seat

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

He'll win his seat comfortably. Jeremy is loved in Islington North. In the rest of the country, not so much.

20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

If Islington was in rural Somerset I'd move there for sure.

Archers Road likes this.