1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

I'm sure everybody reacts to insults including me. Your problem is similar to many on the left, you want to only read lefty news. It must be hard when you see the left being thoroughly rejected not only in the UK but throughout Europe. You have also been hoping for a miracle to stop the Brexit juggernaut without any success.

This is a political forum you need to learn to accept that views other than those expressed by you are posted. Several right of centre posters have been bullied off this forum, I'm here to stay.

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

There have been a couple of right wing posters who have agreed that you are lucky to still be on this forum SH. Nobody on this board has a problem with alternative views being expressed - it is the way they are expressed which is of concern. Permanent goading of other posters is not acceptable on here - yet that appears to be your only goal in life. Just how many warnings do you need before you finally get the message ? Treat other posters with respect and you will get respected in return.

3. superhorns

What you call goading is offering facts and opinions which you disagree with. You need to heed your own advice and treat other posters with respect. You really need to learn to debate properly. We all agreed last week to oppose other posters views not the person. It did not take you long to fail.

4. colognehornet

I don't need to 'learn' anything thank you very much - and if I did you would be the last person who could help. Do you call the insults and foul language which you directed at Yorkie a while back 'debating properly' ? Have we seen anything resembling an apology, or remorse, for that ? You have tried our patience up to the limit on here. You would not behave in everyday life the way you do here. You would not goad, provoke, insult......if you did you would get a very 'British' response. So don't hide behind the keyboard, and start to interact with people as if you were stood next to them in the pub - where you would have to take immediate consequences for your ill breeding.

5. superhorns

Your desire to shut down opposing dialogue reminded me of Derek Hatton (Degsy) the failed potential wrecker of the Labour Party who appeared on 'This week' last night. His only response to the Labour Party's tremendous current problems was to knock on doors and convince voters they have got their opinions all wrong, pathetic.

6. superhorns

Most on here agreed last week to behave, you seem to have a different agenda of aggression. There will be no hope of attracting former posters back and attracting new posters with your problem of alternative views, typical far left agenda.

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Today has seen loads of posting on this board without a single contribution from you SH. As soon as you appear you seem to create division, for whatever reason. I don't know why you wish to see disharmony, and maybe you will say that you don't, but it happens and you seem to delight in it. There is no need for it. Join the band of posters who have covered many things today in a good spirit, or just stop.

8. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This thread doesn't seem very good for the health of the board. It causes division and upset. I'm very tempted to close the thread to avoid anyone else leaving or being abused or upset. Take this as a verbal warning. If the mud slinging continues and healthy discussion doesn't replace it, i will discuss with M Frenchie about closing this thread entirely.

aberdeenhornet likes this.
  9. superhorns

You need to read the posts today, any division was not created by me. You are wrong to suggest I wish to see disharmony and I object to your comment. I always post in good spirit. This is a stitch up.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I have been reading the posts today, and there have been a lot of good ones. Your first post was at 5.57 pm when you had a go at another poster. All of your posts today since then have been designed to provoke a reaction. This is no stitch up, but a polite request to you to treat other posters in the way that you would no doubt wish to be treated.

11. superhorns

Read again, my first post was a reaction to a personal attack. We agreed last week to stop this. If you are going to be a mod you should try to be unbiased.

12. superhorns

This was the unnecessary personal comment which has no basis. I'm sure most people would find this unacceptable.

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I am being unbiased SH, and if I see other posters being unreasonable to you, they will also get a polite request. Unless everyone stops to think what they write things get out of hand. If you will keep it in mind not to attack others, then I will do my best to stop others attacking you. It always requires one party to compromise before a peace can be brokered.

14. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

There was nothing derisory or abusive in my post to you SH. I am asking you to think about what has happened.. And consider posting in a way which opens up to some respectful debate please

15. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Can I ask what the last 20 or so posts have contributed to political debate? Moderators please step in and moderate this to remove the "off topic" posts and can we call a halt to the mudslinging? It doesn't do anybody any credit however far right or left and doesn't win any hearts and minds which is what true politics needs to do. I'm sure all here are well meaning enough but I'd advise using the pause and re read before posting. I'll try and heed my own advice and have indeed not posted for some time regarding the issues that really burn me up as I realize there is a completely diametrically opposed poster here and on a forum never the twain will meet in mind whereas in a face to face with eye contact beer and conversation there is always a chance of swaying others opinions!

andytoprankin likes this.
  16. superhorns

You have already shown your bias and unsuitability to be a mod. If anyone needed an example why there are so few posters left this was it. I will definitely leave the forum for good now so you can percolate the anti Brexit and left leaning views without my comments.

My house build starts next week so will be better occupied.

Goodbye.

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

That is your choice. You joined freely and you can leave freely. It is a shame that you do not feel able to join in with the many other subjects that crop up here, but that is how you wished to contribute. Every mod will have their own opinions on things, but most will put them aside to try and be fair to all. That is what I have attempted to do in the short period I have been involved, and I rather doubt that you can find something to show the opposite. I hope your house build goes well, so you will not be lost for something to do.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I agree with you Aberdeen on the need for everyone to stop and think what they are writing. It is something that I have been going on about for goodness knows how long.
    Maybe we should all retire to the Hornets Nest, I hope that my armchair is still there with a cheese and pickle sandwich down the side of the cushion, and have a few beers as we used to.

19. colognehornet

I think that we have nearly reached saturation point on these political threads. We've had rather a lot of them recently. This thread, the 'effect of Brexit' thread, the 'Trumpers' thread - accompanied by the RIP thread for Castro, and also the thread on 'France' threatens to become political. All a bit much for such a relatively small number of posters, and bound to take its toll. Also they are not really distinct from each other (apart from maybe the Castro one). Hopefully 2017 will turn out to be a quieter year. I think also that everything has been said already on most of them - and not one mind has changed as a result. So, cheese and pickle sandwiches and a beer sounds a good option.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Unless anyone disagrees by tomorrow evening I will ask H to close these threads. I am too green at this to know how to. I think they have had a good run, and probably there is little more to be said.

Hornette_TID likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.