1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pochettino 'cannot guarantee' that Dele Alli will still be at Tottenham next season

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by PINKIE, Apr 25, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As it was irrelevant. You've provided answers to your own question, which was bloody stupid in the first place.

Define World Class.
    How many players are at that level in the Premier League at the moment?
    It's vague and meaningless. You could just deny any answer you were given, except your own, unfortunately! <laugh>

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

please will somebody buy these Spurs players?

pwetty please, break this team up...the butthurt is too much for us

please log in to view this image

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Pray a bit harder Aki

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You feeling insecure again Fosse?

5. The Ginger Marks

De Gea, Hazard, Ibra, Kante, Sanchez, Aguero David Silva. <ok>

6. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I personally define "world class" as players that fit into the 25 man squad we'd put forward should another planet ever fancy a game of footie. I agree it's entirely vague and a pretty meaningless phrase but it's pretty good for debate.

I'd say that De Gea, Kante and Hazard are the three in the Premier League. Sanchez is when he wants to be. Alderweireld has the potential to get there but he needs to show it at a higher level, he's been poor in Europe and Internationals.

As I said, I thought that Modric and Bale certainly were showing signs of "world class" (similar to Alderweireld) and both signed for Real Madrid but it's pretty obvious that their stint in Madrid has taken them to the next level.

7. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Some of De Bruyne's assists have been World Class this season.

Archers Road likes this.
  8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Sanchez was sold by Barcelona because he wasn't good enough for their first XI.
    Seems like a stretch to put him in the top 25 players in the world.
    Hazard was **** last season, so I'd leave him out, too.

I don't like the term, to be honest. Nobody agrees about what it means or who's good enough.
    Who's the second best left-back in the world? **** knows.

It's quite funny that you've picked 3 players from the PFA Team of the Year and one that didn't make it.
    Why? Because four of the remaining eight play for Spurs! <laugh> Total coincidence, of course.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry, but I would like to see him at a club like Barca or Real.

Purely because he's the best young talent we've got.

Look what happened when Bale went to Madrid. He's learnt a hell of a lot and he's helped his national side no end.

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

lol aww do you? **** off, nothing to do with who he plays for based on your posting butthurt history.

You need to sell Mahrez, last seasons Player of the Year..dont let his talents be wasted at a mid table(at best) club...and im sure Kasper deserves to have a better defence in front of him than your shower of ****

agree or disagree?

11. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd say that Sanchez has improved at Arsenal. He was never the top dog at Barcelona and he couldn't really handle that. It's not like clubs never make mistakes either.

What if I don't agree with the PFA TOTY? It's not like every player in there is automatically world class. This league is utterly drained on top level talent and it's why our sides do so utterly awful in the Champions League.

As for best left backs... I'd say that it's between Alba, Alaba and Marcelo.

12. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Disagree. The same as I'm sure you'll disagree that you should sell Alli.

I'd like to see Alli leave to join the best of the best purely because I'd love to see the national side actually start doing well.

Unfortunately they're all too bothered about money and would sooner sit here in England raking it in rather than looking to improve.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He's as transparent as Skiddy's Alcohol abuse denial.

NSIS, Skylarker and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Sanchez just looks better at Arsenal because they build around him and he's surrounded by worse players.
    That's no slight on him or the team, as most sides are just clearly worse than Barca.

There's plenty of talent in the Premier League, but most sides are in a strange place at the moment.
    Lots of new or newish managers, tons of competition and every game seems to be a real battle.
    La Liga and the Bundesliga? Not so much. They can afford to rotate players and go full strength in Europe.

Leicester showed the flaws in your argument, ironically.
    Walked the Champions League group, beat Sevilla and pushed Atletico, but struggled in the league and beaten by Millwall.

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

i disagree because Alli is at a progressive club..his football is not being hampered by his club or team...what part of his game do you think needs improving and where will he learn that? the only thing his game lacks is experience...and you cant buy that...it's his thinking..his decision making...these come with time, so long as we are progressing he is at the right club

that's my logic...what is yours with regards Mahrez and Kasper staying at Lesta?

16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

For me, to be considered true world class you are talking about players who would walk into any club side in the world and be an automatic first pick.

There ain't many of them anywhere. Hazard is borderline, but automatic choice at Real or Barca? Nah. Kante - very possibly. De Gea - very possibly.

Apart from those two, I'm struggling.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  17. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would disagree with the Sanchez thing.

He's been in an utterly woeful side yet has scored 24 and assisted 18 this season. That's approaching Luis Suarez in his last season at Liverpool level.

The top sides in Europe don't play in ultra competitive leagues. The sides at the bottom of the Premier League can (and regularly do) make it bloody tough for the top sides in the Premier League. The gap isn't all that massive. In Spain, Italy and Germany the top teams are able to play their reserves and comfortably win in preparation for Europe. League games are relatively easy compared to the Premier League... not necessarily in terms of skill but in terms of physicality. It must be bloody knackering to play a game in the Premier League.

Your second and third parts to your post contradict each other. We don't have a big enough squad, not even nearly. Our focus definitely wasn't on the FA Cup and our entire season has been focused on the Champions League. Hence we suffered in the Cup but excelled in Europe.

18. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Do you not agree that it's easier to improve and to reach higher levels when you play with the worlds best? Wouldn't you agree that Alli would learn more playing in the latter stages in the Champions League alongside players such as Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez etc?

I don't think those sides will be interested just yet because he's not at their level. But I think that if he continues to progress then they will undoubtedly come calling.

You're missing the point though. Why would it interest you if Mahrez or Kasper wanted to leave? What would you gain from that? I think that they'll both want to continue with Champions League football after they've undoubtedly proven their talents in it. So they should.

I want Alli to continue to progress as a young Englishman because I think it'll help the national side. I actually think Erikssen is the better player but, apart from not having to play him anymore, I wouldn't have any emotion if he decided to up sticks and go. Why would I?

19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I don't think that stats mean that much. Suarez was playing in a winning side and he was a big reason for it.
    The players around him weren't that much better than those currently at Arsenal.

My second and third parts don't contradict each other at all and your comments on Leicester actually agree with them.
    Most Premier League clubs can't afford to rest a bunch of players, either for the league or for the Champions League.
    That's why teams struggle to balance competitions, while those from other leagues find it easier.

This might change once the likes of Conte, Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho, etc. have had more time at their clubs.
    Squad balance, tactics and youth progression take time and they haven't had enough yet to be able to hit multiple fronts.
    That they'll all be trying to do it simultaneously will make things even more complicated, of course.
    I can't see the Premier League sides being as consistent as those from La Liga any time soon, I'm afraid.

20. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hazard would get into Madrid's team, he's a lot better than Benzema but outside of Ronaldo there isn't a player in the world who would get into Barca's current front 3.