1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Play off success: our chances ( if we make them of course).

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by BelfastBlue, Apr 28, 2011.

1. BelfastBlue

BelfastBlue Member

ok we are not there yet and its touch or go if we'll make them but if we do- i think there is statistical based cause for optimism!

Current form( last 8 games) wise there is not much in it with all likely candidates in top 7

What is interesting is if you look at the tables generated from playing just the top half teams, thereby getting some analysis on how teams do against the decent teams- the sides they will meet in the play offs .

Bury and chesterfield are the top two but the Gills are 3RD.

Torquay 5th, Accy 6th so not far behind

But interestingly Stevenage are only 14th.

And Wycombe and the shrews are 9th and 11th respectively so whoever out of those two drop into the play -offs may find it tougher than expected.

full table here : http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D3/vtophalf.html

Macclesfield are 21st so that should be grounds for optimism for saturday (until you see that Barnet are bottom)

anyway i know we aren't their yet but thought some of you may find this interesting!

2. brb

brb Guest

I'll be glad when Saturday against Macclesfield is out of the way, because although we need 3 points and hope that Torquay lose Friday, us Gills tend to never keep to that sort of logic!!

Not looking forward to going to Chesterfield needing any points, probably the only side I don't want to meet in the play offs is Wycombe, lost twice to them this season, not to mention last season.

I'd be happy to take Stevenage, although I expect it would be a very physical game for any dwarfs in our team <laugh>

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I think that we could maybe, possibly, with the normal margin of error, have some kind of outside chance that with fair wind and fine heart get to visit Old Trafford.
    Once there I am one hundred percent confident that we have a 50/50 chance of coming away with a positive result.

I think you can see from my answer that this is squeaky:emoticon-0172-mooni time.

4. BelfastBlue

BelfastBlue Member

if anything i'm more confident of winning the play offs if we make them than actually making them. if we make Old trafford id give us at least 50.5% chance of success.

We are due a win against wycombe and gut feeling is we'd also beat the shrews and stevanage. Accy could be the suprise package- and a fair few would come out the woodwork for the short trip to old trafford I dare say.

But its our next two games that worry me too. squeeky bum time indeed!

lets hope chesterfield can do us a favour tomorrow and that we don't waste it on saturday!

5. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I just beg we don't get Accrington because with them being in their local area they may get a lot of people, Maybe many people there who are just going to watch the match as it is in there local are and they decide to be on there side, so that would be bad for us.

6. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Time to put my unintentional curse on things. So sorry about this.

When it comes to the play offs I feel we have a good chance. Recently we've been tough to beat and been grinding out results. This could be 2 very useful attributes for the lottery that is the end of season spectacular known as the play offs.

7. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

i am hoping gulls beat spires to give the shakers the opportunity to whoop the wobblers and the shakers go up as champions, so we might go up. still think the gills will make play off and beat either wobblers or shrews. the unknown quantity is accrington, they have a good defence, stevenage may fade, good luck to the gills

8. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Now all down to what we can do after the 0-0 result tonight.