1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O'Shea staying

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

John O’Shea is set to extend his Sunderland stay into a seventh season.The 36-year-old, whose current contract expires at the end of June, has attracted interest from four Championship rivals, including Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Despite the ongoing uncertainty regarding the managerial and ownership situation on Wearside, the Irish international is expected to put pen to paper on a new 12 month deal to stay at the Stadium of Light.

O’Shea signalled his intention to stay in the immediate aftermath of the club’s relegation but insisted that the decision would be out of his hands.

He said: “I’ve really enjoyed being here every year.

“It’s a great place and the people around the place, the club, the Sunderland family outside and inside, whether at the training ground or Black Cats House, the decency amongst the people is very special and it’s something I definitely want to continue with, but it’s not up to me.”

Sunderland’s hierarchy were eager to keep the experienced centre-half to provide much needed continuity heading into the new season. A plethora of players will leave Wearside this summer and former boss David Moyes said he felt he would have to look to keep on one or two players ‘who know the club’. Having made more Premier League appearances than any other player in Sunderland’s history, O’Shea certainly fits the bill in that regard.

With Lamine Kone likely to move on this summer, Jason Denayer returning to Manchester City and Joleon Lescott released at the end of his short-term deal, the Black Cats are light on options at the heart of defence.

Papy Djilobodji is the only other senior centre-half in the squad, but struggled after his summer move from Chelsea and has already hinted that he will look for a move himself this summer.

As such O’Shea’s decision will be a welcome boost to Martin Bain with pre-season and the Championship season drawing ever closer.

George Honeyman signed a two-year deal earlier in the summer and of those out of contract, Seb Larsson is another to have been offered a new deal. Amid interest from the Championship, Premier League and European top leagues, however, it is not yet clear whether the Swedish international will choose to stay.

Steven Pienaar is certain to leave, while Jan Kirchhoff is also set to end his 18-month stay on Wearside.

Two Premier League clubs as well as a host of Bundesliga clubs have approached the 26-year-old.

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Fair enough. A year longer isn't going to do any harm and it should be about his level.

3. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

He's been way below par at premiership level for years now. Doubt he's much better at Championship level.

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Better than nobody though.

5. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

He\ll do a job as back up at this level.

6. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh your right
    He is better than nobody.
    However it just shows how low we have got.
    We've tried to replace him now four over three years
    Whoever we got we're not good enough
    Sad init

7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Pretty pathetic yeah. We're constantly having to turn to him to bail us out despite him not being up to it.

8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

9. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Dammit!!

And the day started so well.... :mad:

10. Vincemac

The thing is
    Probably we couldn't attract anyone better

11. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

He's ****ing chod.

Steven Hawkings is more mobile.

Billy Death likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

Disagree, we're about to be bought out. There's a whole wold of CBs at out there. I think we could do better. Daft decision imo.

Disco down under likes this.
  13. Vincemac

I would really like to think we could get some one better.
    You would think it couldn't be that difficult

14. Brian Storm

I think we can. He's to slow, that's too slow for the prem, champ, league 1 & 2, any league. Passed it and stealing a living.

15. Vincemac

The trouble is
    He was getting picked before the kids
    Surely they need to be given a chance.
    He was written off over three years ago but he still gets picked a head of others.
    Time to leave him on the bench again and bring in new blood.
    Then we will see if they can cut the mustard or do we have to revert back to him again.
    Actually the day will come or maybe has
    When we can't revert back to him.

Brian Storm likes this.
  16. Brian Storm

We've been terrible whenever he's been in the side on the whole. He's remained here over the years purely out of circumstance. A ****ed club low on budget and short on players have kept him here. He's been getting a look in ahead of the kids because he's better than them, that would change quick if the kids got a run in the team, but again, circumstances has prevented that. Imo, he's an opportunistic fraud. **** centre back. Can't believe we paid 5m for him. Gutted we've given him another year. He's a **** stain that won't budge as far as I'm concerned.

Disco down under and rooch 3 like this.
  17. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

The back four of Jones, Rodders, McNair, Oviedo should be just about good enough, to survive in this league. if we can raise money on Kone and Pappy and bring in a couple of decent championship quality defenders,(ie like we did with John McPhail), and blood a few of the U21's a turn around could be achieved, holding on to JoS and Co. is not the answer even in the present circumstances we must look to move forward and not backward imo.

18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Guess I'm n a minority's in being happy about this as I personally think he's one who has fallen in love with the club and he's also not a bad defender. Not the kevel he was but undoubtedly good enough for the championship IMO

19. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

At his best he was a bad defender. He's a donkey who organises the back line quite well. A donkey all the same. Not to mention incredibly slow.

I'd have fallen in love with a club too if they kept me on stupid wages I don't deserve for years on end.