1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Okay, I'm gonna criticise Rafa

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

He's had very little time to do anything apart from inherit a side destined for the championship, too late for him to work a miracle. He's got us the top team in the division, he bought to get us out of the league. We'll go up and he'll buy and motivate us to stay in the Premier, and maybe more. Of that I have no doubt. He's a top manager and I can't understand what folk have to winge about. We certainly are blessed to have him here.

2. Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck Active Member

Chancel Mbemba may aswell be 5'3", he can't win a header for toffee.

3. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Firstly, he can although it's probably the weakest part of his game, and secondly, he's better at tackling, positional play and passing. He's in no way perfect as a player but he's without doubt better than Jamal Lascelles in my opinion.

4. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

I think that's a little blinkered, bud, but each to their own. Answer me this, though;

- Do you not think he should have done something to change the relatively poor home form?
    - Are you happy with how we play at home?
    - Are you confident for next season, assuming we even get promoted?
    - With that kind of budget, with that team, should we - with 9 to go - still be even able to be doubting promotion?

He has been a top manager. His Chelsea days were poor, ditto Madrid, just about hitting minimum briefs. He's repeating here - he's hitting a minimum brief.

5. General Lee Speaking

Some fans will always find something to moan about. Remember when Bobby Robson wasn't good enough or too old? Or when finishing 2nd in the Premier League wasn't good enough? Arsenal are achieving what they should each season and winning the odd cup but their fans still want Wenger out.

It was a poor performance today but it was also far worse than other home performances this season. Yes, we play too slow and should be more positive in our attacking play, but the players were well below their performances in other home games in my opinion.

6. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

We've done this every time. Fulham had it properly worked out. I fear we might not get another home point this season.

7. General Lee Speaking

For real? We've not lost a home game since Boxing Day before today. Get some perspective ffs.

8. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

This

9. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

This isn't a mere blip. We got lucky against Brighton and Huddersfield. Good results but we got battered possession wise.

At home we are predictable and easy to play against. If we have any plans on staying up if we get promoted then we must get rid of colback. He is proper clart. He stops shelvey playing. He does **** all.

Rafa needs to go for the attack at home. We can't keep losing at home. The reason why teams are picking up points agaisnt is at home is because they know how he will play.

10. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Come on mate. Fulham are a good side. As terrible as we have been at home we have some poor sides to play at home. We will get some points - although that certainly won't be the last time we drop points at home if we press on with this stupid approach.

One thing I will say though is that those who have criticised fans all season for highlighting the home form, the evidence is overwhelming in favour of changing the approach now. 19 points dropped at home. End of discussion really.

11. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

It actually pains me to defend Wearside Jack as I think he's garbage and we never should have got him out of principle. However, Shelvey was worse than him yesterday. If he isn't dictating the game he's a hindrance to us. Apart from the odd long ball to their keeper all he did was foul.

12. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

How about not a footballer.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  13. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Main thing about Shelvey is he is a footballer. Second main thing he tries to play forward not back and square. Third main thing is he spends most of his time on his feet and not his backside.

Shelvey wasn't good yesterday but Colback was absolutely garbage and only had Dummett as competition for the worst player of the day award.

14. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

They appear undroppable under Rafa despite other options. Just like our method of play at home. Just like our formation. Just like the personnel in certain positions. I don't mind a bit of stubborness. It's not football manager afterall. I like to see things given a chance to bed in, I like seeing people being given a chance to prove themselves. You have to back you've manager to a certain point because otherwise you are not giving him a chance. However once you are a year down the line and you've seen the same thing not work time and time again then...

15. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Agree on the last bit totally. There ate probably 6-7 teams with better home form than us which just feels plain wrong to me.

16. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Hayden coming back should make a difference imho.

Prince Isak (GG) likes this.
  17. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

Yes it means colback will go back to the bench thankfully.

18. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

100% this it's a ****ing disgrace at home.

19. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

diamne is far worse than ginger

20. General Lee Speaking

I assume you think I'm one of those people but I've never disputed we could play better or need to change things (in some matches, because we have actually played well sometimes at home too), it's just I don't think a change in formation on a bit of paper is going to make much difference, nor is this myth that we've had players on the sidelines that were so much better than what was on the pitch. What needs to change is the tempo and intensity that they play more than anything else which has been too low, too often. I've said the same in all the similar conversations that have been had on here throughout the season and I'm right. Put it this way, that is going to have more influence on the team's performance than changing the formation. It always has and it always will and leaving 2 men up front will create other problems so don't kid yourself that it is some kind of panacea for the poor home results.

So, yes, we have too often played too slow at home but yesterday was a blip in another respect, mind. In no other match this season have so many players been so below par, been so slow to react to things, or had such a bad touch with the ball. That combined with our slow play and yet another excellent visiting performance meant it was a complete disaster and much worse than other displays when we've lost at home. I think the two week break coming up after the Birmingham game can't come quick enough because I think a lot of the players' legs look very tired and they need a rest. Hopefully they get some energy back and can attack the 8 game run in.