1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Oatcakes?

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by THe Mighty Huth Rocks, Sep 14, 2011.

1. THe Mighty Huth Rocks

Does anyone actually eat them regurlarly?

Me, if we have them in i'll have a couple, so that's about 2-4 a year.

Who eats oatcakes?

2. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

At LEAST 3 days a week Huthy..
    Me and the missus, get through at least 2 dozen a week. Fav's are Sausage and Cheese filling with brown sauce.

Maybe it's because I can walk to our local Oatie shop in ten min's.. yummy.

3. Waddos_legends

Waddos_legends Active Member

Every Sunday morning for me and have done since I was a kid with a bacon brekkie!

4. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

I love 'em, especially with bacon and cheese filling. Living away from Stoke the last 25 years means we don't get enough of them and have to buy them from Sainsburys. Oatcakes are what Stoke-on-Trent and Staffs are all about. And now my son-in-law, a Geordie, likes them.

5. StokieSmit

StokieSmit Member

Most Saturdays we have cheese and bacon oatcakes for lunch. Can't beat it!

6. BYeee

BYeee Guest

Hooray, we haven't had an Oatcake thread for ages.
    Thanks to PTO, I get mine from North Staffordshire Oatcake Company - online with next day delivery!! Fresh as a daisy!!

Fillings to AVOID like the plague:

Reheated meatballs
    Tandoori chicken
    Chilli con carne

BUT after some further experimentation, try Birds Eye Cod fish fingers and Heinz Tomato Ketchup!! Oh alright then don't!!

7. steve_scfc

steve_scfc Member

Though I do enjoy a monthly oatcake with classic bacon and cheese I feel they've sold out to a wider audience - you can get them in any half decent morrisons across the country nowadays.

However, does no-one remember buying a warm pikelet from the oatcake shops of old?

Fast food before mcdonalds.

Meat and potatoe Wrights pies are another.

Yummy...

8. I've got a confession to make lads......I don't eat so many nowadays! When I were a lad......we used to have them as a family gathering for Fri night tea and Sat lunchtime, every week. Always with bacon and tinned tomatoes and a big plate of em heated and passed around the hungry horde (hence PTO ;-))

I need to sort my life out really , as the missus has got me eating 'healthy' stuff like wraps filled with salad these days.......just not the same.

I need help!

9. BYeee

BYeee Guest

Ah - I wondered where you got the name from <whistle>

10. Joe3White

Joe3White Member

Like ProudPotter,with not living in the area, I get mine from Sainsburys.Have them about once a month.When I used to go to the old Victoria Ground ,before the match I used to go to the market and there was a stall there that did them with cheese ,and that with a nice cup of tea set me up for the match! Are there still many local shops that make them? You`ve obviously got one near you Potts,but I even rang Radio Stoke last time I was there and nobody there knew where there was a local shop.that did them. I love bacon and tomatoes with oatcakes and cheese,but they`re also great with bacon ,egg and mushrooms. I`m salivating now thinking about them,think I`ll go and drag a pack OUT of the freezer,put a large bottle of beer (or 2/3!!) IN the freezer for an hour and get ready for the match!!

11. dame

dame Member

Before i moved out of cheadle a new shop called 'the oatcake coral' opened. Genius

12. Pottermouth 328

JoeMy shop is an original Oatcake shop moved from Pothhill to Clayton.. Just off Stafford Avenue, name is "Mellors" made em for over 40 years. They are some of the best around.
    Ma Lady's brother took 12 dozen back to Southamton, with our niece on Sunday after our wedding the previous day... I think we got through at least 3 dozen for breakfast too!

They can deliver too Joe.. will post their post code on here later if that helps. AND, if you buy half a dozen, they throw in 6 pikelets FREE <ok>

13. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

My dads half are from Stoke so I had them at least once a week. Good old cheese and bacon for me. <ok>

14. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

Potts, would like the post code for that oatcake shop in Clayton. I know Stafford Avenue, I lived in Warwick Avenue for the first five years of my life which is near to Stafford Avenue. My dad was a policemean in Newcastle but was promoted to a Sgt and so we had to move to Kidsgrove just before I started school. :emoticon-0100-smile

15. Stick with me grasshopper and I will teach you many things :emoticon-0105-wink:

16. Joe3White

Joe3White Member

Potts, thanks mate,I`d appreciate the post code,I`ll put it on the satnav when I next come to Stoke and stock up there!! I don`t think they`ll deliver here as I live near Wrexham!!

17. Pottermouth 328

Proud Potter and Joe.. Here is the address and P/code guys,
    Mellors Oatcake's
    Cambridge Drive
    off Clayton lane
    Newcastle
    Staffs

ST5 3DA

And Joe, next time you are this way, send me a PM and I can get my "commision" <laugh>

18. Waddos_legends

Waddos_legends Active Member

Joe I used to live in North Wales and got my oatcakes from Tesco in Llandudno junction!

19. Joe3White

Joe3White Member

Thanks Potts :emoticon-0148-yes: Waddo ,yes they travel far and wide these oatcakes!!

20. mithrand

mithrand Member

Me, at least three a week. Favourite filling is bacon cheese and tomato.
    However i did have a very loving nan, sadly no longer with us who liked to experiment with food combinations.
    So if your ready for it and you can manage to get your head around it, i would highly recommend trying this as a desert, heat the oatcakes then fill with peaches and fresh single cream, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm trust me.
    The combination of savoury and sweet as a desert is magic.

Roy